2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Puff of white smoke (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96926)

305HP 09-01-2009 03:13 PM

Puff of white smoke

I used to get this puff a few weeks after putting a JLT RAI on the car. I had a TB, 90mm MAF, and pulleys put on and the car re-tuned and it went away. Now after putting the stock TB back I get the puff.

After taking off my twin 60MM TB and putting my stock back on I now get a puff of white smoke on start up on occasion. I took the TB off to fix a hanging rev problem, and now that issue is gone but I get this puff.

I'd take the JLT off and put my K&N back on but I don't have a 80mm housing at the moment.

Any ideas?

Mods:
catted X-pipe
cat-back
pulleys
90mm MAF
JLT RAI
intake spacer

305HP 09-01-2009 03:44 PM

Re: Puff of white smoke

nothing else was changed.

305HP 09-01-2009 07:26 PM

I changed out the TB Sunday night, Monday morning I get no puff, Monday evening I get a puff. Today I get NO puff at all.

Aside from the TB I changed nothing. So you suggesting something changed on the car while it was sitting from Sunday night to Monday evening? What would cause it to not puff until driven 10 miles then sits for 10hrs then SOMETIMES, puff when restarted?

I'm stumped here.

rich1 09-01-2009 07:46 PM

Car is sending smoke signals .:23: ...SOS !

305HP 09-01-2009 09:50 PM

haha i sure hope not.

j rick kirby 09-02-2009 07:15 AM

If I start mine up and let it idle for a while and then shut it off it will puff the next time I start it up.Seems to be oil smoke that I'm guessing is coming thru the PCV.At idle there isn't enough vacume to pull the oil on thru the intake so it puddles up.The next time I start it up and it revs a little it pulls the oil on thru.This is my theory anyhow.

Con's Mach1 09-02-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1196310)
If I start mine up and let it idle for a while and then shut it off it will puff the next time I start it up.Seems to be oil smoke that I'm guessing is coming thru the PCV.At idle there isn't enough vacume to pull the oil on thru the intake so it puddles up.The next time I start it up and it revs a little it pulls the oil on thru.This is my theory anyhow.

It does sound like an OIL sitting issue. You don't use any oil do you? If not, it seems to be as j rick kirby says.

305HP 09-02-2009 01:28 PM

Mope, oil is just as good as ever. I just find it odd it did it before i got the tune and parts change, then again after changing the TB back.

Wouldn't oil be a blue-ish smoke?

ponygt65 09-02-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 305HP (Post 1196157)
I changed out the TB Sunday night, Monday morning I get no puff, Monday evening I get a puff. Today I get NO puff at all.

Aside from the TB I changed nothing. So you suggesting something changed on the car while it was sitting from Sunday night to Monday evening? What would cause it to not puff until driven 10 miles then sits for 10hrs then SOMETIMES, puff when restarted?

I'm stumped here.

What Bill is saying is the TB has nothing to do with oil consumption/usage/excess. They are unrelated and you have separate issues.

j rick kirby 09-02-2009 02:10 PM

My car turned 100,000 miles on the race track 6 weeks ago and still uses no oil between changes.Now on road courses it can use 1/2 qt after maybe 5-6 hours of track time.Of course it also uses a tank of fuel in a hour.

R-code17815 09-02-2009 02:27 PM

It's probably just a little rich on start-up, mine started doing it once and a while after I upgraded injectors....

R-code17815 09-02-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 305HP (Post 1196387)
Mope, oil is just as good as ever. I just find it odd it did it before i got the tune and parts change, then again after changing the TB back.

Wouldn't oil be a blue-ish smoke?

Have someone start the car for you while you take a lil sniff of the Exhaust, If it's rich it will smell like someone starting an old carbed car, you can def tell if it's oil or not. Not very scientific but, it should give a rough idea as to what it is....

305HP 09-02-2009 02:58 PM

It did it today on my way home when starting it, I think it's getting to much gas from something when starting up. Not sure what though. I haven't changed the tune.

jaimoe 09-02-2009 07:51 PM

What it MIGHT be is condensation. Moist air in the exhaust pipe gets heated up creating steam and the steam is pushed out the tailpipe and it looks alot like smoke. If it is condensation holding your hand by the tail pipe when it does it you can tell. My car does this and if you go to the exhaust sound clip section on the forum and look at all the vids there you will see most of them do the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it.