2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Does this sound like the clutch? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106674)

Stopsign32v 08-08-2010 12:03 PM

Does this sound like the clutch?

Well we had the Mach 1 down at Mustang Week and it started getting hard to put into gear, mainly 1st and reverse. Then when I would go to shift hard into gear it wouldn't let me go into 2nd. Just would make that horrible grinding noise like I didn't have the clutch pushed in. But driving normal it would shift into gear fine. The shifter is a MGW one and the car has I think 45,000 miles on it.

gamatt 08-08-2010 08:17 PM

Re: Does this sound like the clutch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v (Post 1308450)
Well we had the Mach 1 down at Mustang Week and it started getting hard to put into gear, mainly 1st and reverse. Then when I would go to shift hard into gear it wouldn't let me go into 2nd. Just would make that horrible grinding noise like I didn't have the clutch pushed in. But driving normal it would shift into gear fine. The shifter is a MGW one and the car has I think 45,000 miles on it.

Make sure you clutch cable is tight enough to full disengage.

eatonmach1 08-08-2010 09:14 PM

Re adjust your clutch quadrant under the dash, its a big plastic toothed thing you will see it lol. Could be low on merc V fluid also. If you were doggin the clutch alot it could have reset the tension by accident. Reason I say this is because when you pull up on the clutch pedal it resets the quadrant. Hope this helps.

Stopsign32v 08-09-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatonmach1 (Post 1308564)
Re adjust your clutch quadrant under the dash, its a big plastic toothed thing you will see it lol. Could be low on merc V fluid also. If you were doggin the clutch alot it could have reset the tension by accident. Reason I say this is because when you pull up on the clutch pedal it resets the quadrant. Hope this helps.

Yea I knew about this deal but never really looked into it. From what I understand you could pull the clutch pedal up and it clicks or something? Can you explain exactly what I should do in more detail? Everything to do with the transmission and clutch is 100% stock besides the MGW shifter.

04'mach1 08-09-2010 07:51 PM

the stock quadrant is a plastic one w/ another piece of plastic w/ teeth and both have springs so when you reach down w/ your hand and pull the clutch pedal toward the seat it's suppse to self adjust the cable to the correct setting. hopefully that expalins how it works a little.

nikbait 09-04-2010 05:31 PM

Will a Fiore quadrant do the same thing, adjust the cable back to stock position?

RollTideMach 09-04-2010 10:47 PM

if you replace the stock unit with a fiore quadrant u will have to get a firewall adjuster if im not mistaken.

nikbait 09-07-2010 10:17 PM

I have both of those in the Fiore, installed.