2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78984)

Stopsign32v 04-17-2008 01:43 PM

How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer

I figured I'd write up this while I rest alittle bit and cool off. :23:

Since there is alot of intake spacers out there. I've heard bigger is better but the shaker limits the height. Also I think alot of people go with the 3/8" over the 1/2" because they feel it is easier to install the 3/8". However I will go step by step for installing the 1/2". Its simple as can be!

1: Unhook the battery, this will allow the computer to reset while you install the spacer.

2: On both sides of the shaker there are 2 10mm bolts you have to take out.

3: Take some snips and snip the two zipties holding the drain hoses to other hoses, then unhook the shaker from the filter housing and pull the shaker off the car

4: There will be 4 10mm bolts holding the shaker bracket on the intake lid (aka upper intake)

5: Take a 8mm socket and loosen up the hose clamp holding the intake pipe to the throttle body and also take out the 8mm bolt holding the filter housing to the fender. After this unhook the MAF and pull the whole intake off the car as one and put it to the side.

6: Now unhook all the sensors that are connected to the intake lid. I found the sensor on the back of the intake that has 2 hoses going to it easier to just unbolt the two 7mm bolts holding it on. This way you keep the hoses on it because they are a pain to get off.

7: Take out the two 10mm bolts holding the EGR housing on the intake lid. Put the EGR gasket to the side (or buy a new gasket, I reused the stock one)

8: Take out the two 8mm bolts holding the throttle cable bracket to the intake lid. Unhook the cruise control plastic clip. Push the throttle back with your hand to give some slack on the throttle cable. With your other hand take the throttle cable out. Then take the spring off of the intake lid and place the throttle cables out of your way.

9: Start unbolting your intake bolts. There are seven 8mm bolts holding the intake lid on the lower intake. After you take them out you should be able to lift your intake lid off easily. If not check what you missed and then unhook it.

10: Install the intake spacer. I used a spacer from Roy and he supplied me with everything needed. Reuse your original gasket and place the other gasket on the side of the spacer that will be touching the intake lid.

11: Bolt back down the intake lid going at different sides. (tighten one bolt down alittle then go to the other side and continue this back and forth) DO NOT tighten one bolt all the way down at a time! Roy supplied six 10mm bolts that are longer to use. You will have to reuse the bolt closest to the battery (the one that has a place on the top of it for the throttle cables to clip onto).

12: Reclip all of the sensors and vacuum lines back on. Dont forget the back sensor that you need to reinstall the two 7mm bolts. After you do this go back over all the sensors and hoses and make sure you got them all! I can't count how many times I've gotten in a hurry and missed a sensor or hose.

13: Reinstall the two 8mm bolts that hold the throttle bracket onto the intake lid and then reinstall the throttle cables and cruise control

This is where everyone has problems at but it really isn't bad at all if you know what to do!

14: If you have alittle bit of gasket maker around put some on your finger and put it alittle bit around the EGR gasket so it will stay on the intake lid while you work.

15: I took the spare tire iron out of my trunk and taped alot of duct tape around the handle end of it so that it wouldn't scratch my firewall. Then place the handle end of the tire iron between the firewall and the back of the EGR tube that is going down to the header. Pull it alittle bit towards you as you push the EGR housing towards the EGR gasket. As soon as you line up the holes start to put in the 10mm bolts. HOWEVER make sure you keep pulling as you thread the bolts into the hole! This will keep you from cross threading the holes! It might take alittle bit of trying but this is the way to do it! Do not try loosing up the EGR down on the header it is more trouble than it is worth. Just keep trying with the tire iron!

16: Rest and get a beer after you install the EGR successfully! Everything after that is a cake walk! :smokin:

17: Reinstall the intake tube to the throttle body. Reinstall the 8mm bolt that holds the filter housing to the fender. Also tighten up the 8mm hose clamp holding the intake to the throttle body.

18: Reinstall the shaker bracket and put the four 8mm bolts back that hold the bracket to the intake lid. Don't tighten them down because you need them loose so you can move your shaker around and get it where you want it.

19: Reinstall the shaker to the shaker bracket. Close the hood barely so you can see where you want your shaker. Move it around to where you want it then raise the hood and take the shaker back off and then tighten down the 4 bolts holding the shaker bracket to the intake lid.

20: Reinstall the shaker and put the two 10mm bolts on each side of the shaker back in. Hook the shaker tube back up to the filter housing and then hook up the battery and take her for a ride!!!! :33:

I can't say enough on how much better the shaker looks with the hood closed now that it is raised 1/2"! :worship:

Hope this helps some people out with the install. Go with the 1/2" spacer guys, its really not hard at all to install! Just follow the 20 steps above and you will have no problems. If you run into anything feel free to send me a PM and I will help you out as much as I can. :smokin:

Lonestar7 04-17-2008 01:46 PM

Re: How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer

It’s also a good idea to replace the EGR gasket it’s cheap about 3 dollars and that way you should get no SES light due to vacuum leak.

LS

Stopsign32v 04-17-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonestar7 (Post 982192)
It’s also a good idea to replace the EGR gasket it’s cheap about 3 dollars and that way you should get no SES light due to vacuum leak.

LS

This is true. However I had the car up in the air before I thought about it. Plus the gasket is not a paper one so it CAN be reused. I did and there is no leaks or lights that came on. Is it a good idea to change it? Sure.

Gameboy_J 04-17-2008 05:01 PM

Thanks man!

I vote for sticky!

04azuremach 04-17-2008 06:49 PM

The directions make it seem like a longer job than it is. It's really a piece of cake. I can do it with my eyes closed in 15 minutes.

Stopsign32v 04-17-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04azuremach (Post 982308)
The directions make it seem like a longer job than it is. It's really a piece of cake. I can do it with my eyes closed in 15 minutes.

I agree however not everyone turns wrenches alot.

wcjr 04-17-2008 10:33 PM

good write up!

one mach 1 04-18-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjr (Post 982446)
good write up!

Lets make this one a sticky!! Good write up!!

UIN2IT 08-17-2008 10:06 AM

What's the benefit of going with a 1/2" vsa 3/8" spacer?

Why would you need to go 7/8" like some have or even 1"?
what'sthe install differencs in these?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is which size I shoukld go with. I have pm'ed Roy but have not heard back yet. Very interested in this! What's the cost from ROY?

3150Mach1 08-17-2008 10:39 AM

Look here:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...1&postcount=28

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...691#post915691

Roy 08-18-2008 01:57 PM

Nice! Thanks.

Sublimemach 08-18-2008 05:46 PM

very nice write up.. i could have used this a few months ago lol.

Thom 08-27-2008 10:08 AM

If you go to all the trouble removeing the EGR, Whould it not be better to block it off?

305HP 08-27-2008 03:44 PM

then how do you pass an emissions check?

JasonARGY 08-27-2008 08:53 PM

After reading all the threads, I am assuming then that the best spacer for an everyday car is the 1/2in. but still dont really know how a bigger spacer would affect its casual driveability. Awesome writeup BTW, will most likely use it here in a few days.

3150Mach1 08-27-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonARGY (Post 1038876)
After reading all the threads, I am assuming then that the best spacer for an everyday car is the 1/2in. but still dont really know how a bigger spacer would affect its casual driveability. Awesome writeup BTW, will most likely use it here in a few days.

No negative effects at all. Get it.

ponygt65 08-28-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP (Post 1038887)
No negative effects at all. Get it.

I disagree.

You'll need to get tires sooner from plantin' yourself into your seat from all the SOTP TQ you gain. :23:

TRmachwon 08-28-2008 08:38 PM

I'm sure the directions are making it sound harder than it is but as someone with zero car work experience barring a short throw shifter, is this easily done? Just some bolts and hoses?

nasty04mach1 09-30-2008 08:40 PM

Im putting mine this weekend. Wish me luck :)

Stopsign32v 10-01-2008 12:46 AM

I haven't been on here in so long. But I'm glad I could help you guys out that are installing the spacer. Its such a simple install just takes some time. You cannot be in a rush. I'm suprised this hasn't been a sticky.

nasty04mach1 10-03-2008 04:30 PM

I just put on the 3/8" spacer from Roy and my question is...Will the cars RPM's change. Mine are hanging up and coming down slower and it seems to idle a little rougher and louder than before I installed it.

Also, after I installed the spacer I let the run for a few mins to make sure everything seemed ok. Then I installed the IAC and it seemed to help a little. Is that normal?? Will an auto repsond to it differently than a 5 speed. I have a 5 Speed.

Thanks in advance,

-Brandon-

Stopsign32v 10-04-2008 11:24 PM

My guess is a vaccum leak somewhere. Installing the spacer should do nothing to how the car idles and drives other than alittle more torque.

GroverDill 04-18-2009 06:05 PM

Great write up, helped me thru the install today. Took me over and hour though (old and slow).

Thanks for the write up!

Tarball 04-18-2009 06:15 PM

Great write up!

Think its worth moving from 3/8 to 1/2?

GroverDill 04-18-2009 08:42 PM

I would not waste the time, effort, or money to go from 3/8" to 1/2" spacer.