2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   cams cams cams (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134738)

Explosive 02-17-2016 02:41 PM

cams cams cams

So,

I've done some research and find conflicting info on cams, the sticky's here seem pretty good as a starter. I've got the block mentioned in the 3v block post, its got forged internals and what im guessing are approx a 18cc dish piston so with my heads im guessing a compression ratio around 8.5ish.

My plan was to decide on cams, get those and other gaskets and timing components together and then pull heads off my current engine and have them rebuilt so something requiring HD springs etc is not a big deal. I love the sound of say the Comp 106460s but from what i have read thus far sounds like those big lift lopey cams will not make **** for power down low. This is something i plan on running boost through, currently the car is nitrous, and will remain so until the motor is in and i can afford to switch to a blower or turbo setup. Also an auto with 4.10s and a fairly healthy converter, 3700 stall.

Wondering what the suggestions are ? Seems to be some guys on here that know these well, 106100's and 106160's seem to be popular. Honestly i would jump on a centri setup if the price is right but it'll deff either end up centri or single turbo. Seems like degreeing gives the "milder" cams a decent idle due to overlap correct ?

Just looking for some guidance here, I've browsed this stuff casually in the past but trying to narrow it down now, in the past I've only done cams on pushrod motors.

PS, i know its been asked a million times and I've read a million threads but the applications are usually NA

DSG2003Mach1 02-17-2016 02:58 PM

Re: cams cams cams

run it by NA SVT and see what it he has to say, hes the one that specd my cams and I was happy with em

SHAKN' 04 02-17-2016 09:23 PM

I ran 106100's and an eatonswap. I never re-degreed the cams to compensate for boost. I'm sure there was some hp left on the table but it made really decent numbers with the way it stood. The overlap wasn't too bad, but yes it could have been better. I believe my cams were 110/112 and yes it was super lopey. If I could get another Mach or cobra, I would do the same cams and degree them to a boost application.

SHAKN' 04 02-17-2016 09:26 PM

https://youtu.be/8rZeyBkFWcE

Here's a video of the first start up after the eatonswap. You can hear how rowdy these 106100's were with the 110/112 degree.

Explosive 02-17-2016 09:35 PM

Man she sounded good

SHAKN' 04 02-17-2016 10:00 PM

Thanks, the new owners are no where to be found. If I were to find it, I'm sure I would buy it back lol.

lcaptmorg 02-19-2016 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1613591)
run it by NA SVT and see what it he has to say, hes the one that specd my cams and I was happy with em

No need deliberating conflicting info. Hit NA SVT up and he will be able to help you out between the sound your looking for and some decent power.

Personaly I could care less how it sounds as long as its fast.

Explosive 02-20-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcaptmorg (Post 1613864)
No need deliberating conflicting info. Hit NA SVT up and he will be able to help you out between the sound your looking for and some decent power.

Personaly I could care less how it sounds as long as its fast.

I hit him up the other day but havent heard back yet, no biggie since im not buying cams tomorrow or anything but some knowledgeable advice would be helpful given all the different opinions out there

DSG2003Mach1 02-20-2016 10:01 AM

im pretty sure its the comp cams stage 2 Xtreme energy blower/nitrous cam he picked out for me with my D1 and wanting a nice broad power band with good driveability