2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Geez. Blew my Driver-side Header Gasket (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55589)

downsouthman1 09-29-2006 05:55 PM

Geez. Blew my Driver-side Header Gasket

Sucks. I knew something was wrong for about a month or 2, but didn't know what it was. I originally thought it was a ticking sound but it's more of a distorted whistle since yesterday. She's going in for the repair to a mechanic I know, not at Ford, on Monday. I should have her back Wednesday but it'll cost me up to $600.00 to have both Gaskets replaced with Ford metal gaskets. :grr:

Orange whip 04 10-01-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Geez. Blew my Driver-side Header Gasket

Thats the pain of having headers, always having to replace header gaskets, collector gaskets. Always seems like a chore to me once you replace your stock manifolds. Those gaskets are always blowing out. Wish some one would come up with an indestructable header gasket.

birdman941 10-01-2006 10:01 PM

The best from what I have used, and read from others,
is to use the stock, factory exhaust gaskets
with the stock OE studs and nuts.
If you must, use a small amount of ultra copper on them.

RAT 10-02-2006 03:50 AM

Always re-torque those bolts/nuts after a few heat cycles can help with this and like Birdman941 said, use the stock gaskets.

nickster 10-02-2006 06:03 AM

rat have you retorqued yours , i did three times ,every time i ended up droping the engine to get at the bolts

nickster 10-02-2006 04:35 PM

m1m, mine will have the studs in this winter with stock gaskets, burnt them out twice now between 5-7

2k4mach 10-02-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange whip 04
Thats the pain of having headers, always having to replace header gaskets, collector gaskets. Always seems like a choir to me once you replace your stock manifolds. Those gaskets are always blowing out. Wish some one would come up with an indestructable header gasket.

choir
1. a company of singers, esp. an organized group employed in church service.
2. any group of musicians or musical instruments; a musical company, or band, or a division of one: string choir.

:rolleyses

BTW with the ford gaskets on my bassani midlengths ive yet to have a gasket blow and have the local choir replace them for me :LAUGH:

downsouthman1 10-02-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k4mach
choir
2. any group of musicians or musical instruments; a musical company, or band, or a division of one: string choir.

BTW with the ford gaskets on my bassani midlengths ive yet to have a gasket blow and have the local choir replace them for me :LAUGH:

My Headers have been on for about 2.5 years, w/ no problems until just recently, except scraping. When I went to Ford, they were throwing $600 around like flying cockroaches. So I went to a local mechanic who I have do all work that I don't wanna do or can't very feasibly do. They finished my car in under 8 hours. The cost to me? $250, including the Ford OEM gasket for the DS Header. They will also retorque them for me after a few heat cycles, just to ensure that no bolts back out again. They said the PS Header was still tight. I'll be going to pick her up in the morning. & hopefully what started out as a tick & turned into an elephant whistle, will be gone. I know the whistle's gone but what about the blood-sucking tick, which I think was the gasket starting to go? If that's all it was, then that should be gone too.

Orange whip 04 10-03-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k4mach
choir

Opps... wrong choir.... CHORE..... :3amin:

downsouthman1 10-03-2006 10:22 AM

Well, good news. I got my car back & everything is the way it was about 2 months ago before I heard what I thought was a ticking sound. I now know that that's the sound of your Header Gasket going.