2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   weird electrical gremlin in my bronco (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58444)

C-dub 12-11-2006 05:39 PM

weird electrical gremlin in my bronco

I just got my truck back from ford, they replaced a faulty sending unit they installed about 1 month ago (free of charge). on they way home my volt meter gauge drops to about 10volts (at the n in "normal"). I get the truck home thinking loose battery cable, every thing looked good, so I cleaned them up and started up the truck. volts back up to normal. drive the truck to work the next day and the volts drop again (wtf) I did the old pull the batt cable trick and sure enough the truck dies. alternator was replaced about 6months ago. thinking it was weird I start the truck again and the **** volts go back to normal (wt. x 2) pull the cable again and truck runs fine. I brought it back to ford today for them to look it over as the truck was fine when I brought it to them... at least the charging system. they called me and asked me to tell them what the symptoms are...again and if it had any thing to do with the blown fuse that was in the cup holder (wtf x3) the fuse is for the machs cigarette lighter and way to small for any thing in a 96 bronco. it dawned on me this afternoon that the alternator is fine when the truck is cold, but after it runs for about 15-20 minutes the alternator cuts out. any ideas what this gremlin can be?

MACH_ONE_GUY 12-11-2006 05:42 PM

Re: weird electrical gremlin in my bronco

What year and style of Bronco? Sounds like a bad fusible link, they're located in the wiring harness to the alternator.

falcongtho3 12-11-2006 05:48 PM

Voltage regulator??? :borg:

C-dub 12-11-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH_ONE_GUY (Post 706511)
What year and style of Bronco? Sounds like a bad fusible link, they're located in the wiring harness to the alternator.

96 xlt "full size" 5.8. thats what i was thinking after checking the shop manual, but it did not point out were it was. would that mean a new harness?

IMachU 12-11-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 706516)
Voltage regulator??? :borg:

That's my guess....maybe a bad ground on the voltage regulator causing it to cut in-n-out (now I wnat a hamburger...thanks!).

MACH_ONE_GUY 12-11-2006 06:31 PM

nope. You could buy some new links and put them in your self, or do what I did with my Bronco, just cut 'em out and hard wire it. Less hassles this way.

substanger 12-11-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-dub (Post 706506)
any ideas what this gremlin can be?

It's NOT uncommon at all for an piece of crap rebuilt alternator to go bad after 6 months. I see it all the time, especially with Ford rebuilt alternators. JUNK!!

Azure Blurr 12-11-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substanger (Post 706556)
It's NOT uncommon at all for an piece of crap rebuilt alternator to go bad after 6 months. I see it all the time, especially with Ford rebuilt alternators. JUNK!!

I agree. Pull it and get it checked. Hey C-Dub, you might try another site as well....Ford Truck Enthusiasts. They have truck specific sites. Many Bronco nuts there to. I go on there for info on my 66' . :MADNOEL:

G 12-11-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substanger (Post 706556)

My wife went through three in 9 months back in 01 with a 5.8 F250HD. I was deployed it was the alternator each time. :crazy:

65fastback2+2 12-11-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 706537)
That's my guess....maybe a bad ground on the voltage regulator causing it to cut in-n-out

+1.

C-dub 12-11-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZURE GIRL (Post 706573)
I agree. Pull it and get it checked. Hey C-Dub, you might try another site as well....Ford Truck Enthusiasts. They have truck specific sites. Many Bronco nuts there to. I go on there for info on my 66' . :MADNOEL:

www.ford-trucks.com

yup, its a good site. but nothing like the car/ford Enthusiasts here on the reg.

C-dub 12-11-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 706537)
That's my guess....maybe a bad ground on the voltage regulator causing it to cut in-n-out (now I wnat a hamburger...thanks!).

I was just drinking about that. when I get the truck back and its still not fixed, I'll check all the connector pins in the harness... gotta check the pin point tests to see what ones they were playing with.