View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
Ralph Greene

Ralph when you going to add a set of gears to that list? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not doing gears to this car. I changed rear gears 7 times on my 98 Cobra...and wound up with 4.10's. But it saw some track duty with over 500 RWHP on 15" BFG DR's. If doing again, that car would have stayed with 3.73's (which it had twice). Gears didn't really matter, car was traction limited.

I'm not drag racing this car, and think the stock 3.55's are almost perfect for all around use...with our 5 speeds (I might would prefer 3.73's for my use). If I had a 6 speed like was in the 2000R (2.97 first gear), (even if .62 6th same as our .62 5th) , I would like a little lower gear. Maybe a 3.90 or something for all around use.

Our Mach's make their power about 10% lower in the RPM range than previous 4V's, so 3.55's or 3.73's on our car feels about like 4.10's on previous 4V's, and you shifted them at higher RPM.

I'm not running race tires on this car, and no one has shown me gears make a car any faster for the way I drive this car, for my use. And even if they do make you a couple tenths faster on stock tires, that is not measureable for street use. And I like saving 5th for strictly highway cruising. I also like lazy 70-75 MPH cruising at a little over 2000. So stock 3.55's work for me.

If I were to get interested in drag racing this car with stock 5 speed, I would just jump to 4.30's, or maybe 4.56's, with a little taller than stock tire. Whatever tire/gear combo it takes to max out 4th at end of 1/4. But I will let you guys do all that stuff this time.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote