View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
TRMach1
Once Bitten-Twice Shy

Re: new car break in period

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
Bad advise given here...
Read the owners manual it should say something.If it does then stick by what it says since the Dealer will if you blow it .It never hurts to break in anything thats expensive ,but it may if you dont !
I know that at a dealer I worked at a guy bought a Mustang . He hammered it leaving the lot the next week he was upset cuz the clutch was grabbing. The tech that tore it down said the clutch, pressue plate were both blue from heat. The clutch was fixed but the customer had to pay for the labor ,since it was not NORMAL wear. The Ford rep said it was the worst one he had ever seen.
Here's what the 2013 Mustang Owner's Manual says about break-in on page 201. Evidently, tires have become more critical than mechanicals nowadays. And since they don't define what "too fast" is, I don't see where anyone has given bad advise here.

Page 201 says:

"You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles (480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unique driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers)."
Mach1Registry.com Member #7
MCA Member #52787
Nice to meet you, my name's Jim

03 Torch Red Mach 1, 5-speed, IUP
Sold on July 21st 2012!

2011 Shelby GT500, Ebony Black, Silver Stripes, 6-speed
550hp 510tq Purchased July 23, 2012!

Last edited by TRMach1; 11-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
TRMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote