2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
04torched

High rpm engine hesitation

I've had a problem with my 04 Mach 1 for the past couple months with it misfiring. Basically any time I bring the rpms above 4k the engine immediately starts bucking and I can hear almost like a cracking sound coming from the exhaust. If I stay on the gas and try to power through it the check engine light will start flashing for about a minute then turn off. Also when this happens I usually get some pretty heavy vibrations coming from the front end, I can literally see the whole front end shaking. I'm thinking most likely it's a fuel or intake/ignition problem, but then again I'm not a mechanic which brings me here. It's fine below 4k rpm unless I try to go wot in 1st gear then it immediately starts hesitating. I already have a new pack of NGK spark plugs that I'm getting installed next weekend but I'm not even sure this is the problem. Hopefully someone else has had the same problem and can give me some insight on what the issue may be. Btw the car has 77k and change on the clock and does need a new tob which is getting done in the spring along with a new clutch and flywheel etc. Don't know if maybe that has anything to do with it. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
04torched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Re: High rpm engine hesitation

Plugs are a great place to start, but it could be an ignition coil or your fuel filter. I would change the filter and plugs (least expensive parts) and see how it behaves.

Also take it to your local auto parts store and they should read your check engine code for free.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
04torched

Re: High rpm engine hesitation

Thanks I'll let u know what happens
04torched is offline   Reply With Quote