2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Power Adders

Power Adders Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous, etc...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
dclay

Eaton swap or Procharger??

I have money to add some power to the Mach 1. I was wondering what I should go with, an eaton swap or a used procharger?? Please let me know anything and everything from people who have done one or the other and how the like it.

I tried to make this a poll, but I don't know how to so please tell me which one you think I should go with.

Also I think I should note that the Mach 1 is not my daily driver. It has been rained on twice and has 22k miles. It's a 5 speed and is completely stock so let me know what to do. Thanks
dclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
ponygt65

Re: Eaton swap or Procharger??

Here's my answer:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=513089

Welcome aboard.

A more direct answer....P1sc. you can upgrade to a D1 cheaper than you can upgrade from an eaton to a KB/whipple (if and when you get forged).

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
dclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
Here's my answer:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=513089

Welcome aboard.

A more direct answer....P1sc. you can upgrade to a D1 cheaper than you can upgrade from an eaton to a KB/whipple (if and when you get forged).
haha yea, I'm guessing a lot of the people that post on svtp are on here too.. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to go with.. One day I decide ok, I'm gunna go with a P1sc, then the next day I start thinking of how much fun it would be to do an eaton swap. I guess I'm just trying to get a consensus to help me with my decision. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay View Post
haha yea, I'm guessing a lot of the people that post on svtp are on here too.. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to go with.. One day I decide ok, I'm gunna go with a P1sc, then the next day I start thinking of how much fun it would be to do an eaton swap. I guess I'm just trying to get a consensus to help me with my decision. Thanks!
I'm sure most eaton guys will tell you, the swap wasn't all that 'fun'......it was the results that were.

I know what you mean though. I bounced back and forth on the P1, vs. KB kit. I ran into everything for less than the Non-I/C kit and was very happy. I LOVED the sound of that ATi at idle. THe whistle is amazing.

Previous stangs:
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

eatons rock.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
machgsxr

My opinion is to go with the cobra motor. You can find a used one in the 5k dollar ball park and you know it's complete for the front dress and little things, you get the forged motor while your at it and you can sell your motor to recoup some of the costs or keep it to go back to a built aluminum block.

The eaton swap was fun.....for me atleast. I enjoyed working on it and would do it again in a minute to my wifes car if she would let me.
machgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Hmbre97
Eaton swapped User

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgsxr View Post

The eaton swap was fun.....for me atleast.
+1. I almost enjoy building them more than driving them.
Hmbre97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
sideways03
LS What?

I have a procharger, and while I love it (especially the sound at idle), I think I would go with an eaton swap if I had to do it all over again. The only reason for this is the ability to swap pullies more easily. Right now, I can't really throw some race gas in there, change my tune and put a smaller pulley on to run higher hp for the track. I would love to be able to do that. So for now, I'm just gonna have to make the most of pump gas.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Scott McClure
Mach1 member

My Whipple setup now would walk all over the Procharger I had. Of course it makes a couple a more ponies.

2003 Mach 1 Whipple 2.3 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @25 psi SOLD
Scott McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
ls1 killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McClure View Post
My Whipple setup now would walk all over the Procharger I had. Of course it makes a couple a more ponies.
ur procharger setup was weak.......... ....pcheeser all the way
ls1 killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
TR04MACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgsxr View Post
My opinion is to go with the cobra motor. You can find a used one in the 5k dollar ball park and you know it's complete for the front dress and little things, you get the forged motor while your at it and you can sell your motor to recoup some of the costs or keep it to go back to a built aluminum block.

The eaton swap was fun.....for me atleast. I enjoyed working on it and would do it again in a minute to my wifes car if she would let me.
I absolutly agree, for the price some of a good condition used cobra motor with just about all the parts and selling your stock one off you can come out so incredibly cheap. If I had the money I would've done that in a second because once you do the swap either way you want to go, you'll want more power. I love my eaton setup and it wasn't expensive at all ~1700 with everything and selling a few stock parts off. The install was fun, I learned a lot and I know if I ever need to take anything apart again I'll know exactly how to do it. I'm willing to bet like Archie said, if you could find a used cobra longblock for sale for 5k that you could probably get like 2k or more out of your mach longblock, and be up and running with a built block for 3k or less out of pocket.
SLP Catted Shorty X
SLP Powerflo Catback
JLT RAI Intake
SCT Tune on 4bank chip
Nitto DR 275/40/17
MM Lower Control Arms
MM Urethane Rack Bushings
Hawk HPS Pads w/ MM brake lines
MM Full Length Subframes
Steeda Tri-ax
Sirius

For Sale!
TR04MACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
ponygt65

Welp, Guess I was wrong on the eaton swap not being fun.

I agree that swaping the motor (if possible) is the best way to do it. I personally would keep the 3650 too, just cause I like the 1-2-3 gear ratio more.

When I looked into doing that, the complete setup was $8k+, so I didn't go that route.

I do like the look of a PD blower under the shaker though.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
NeverEnuff
Add 49ci...but why?

Do we have a 'turbo' option?
95 F350-Tow rig
NeverEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
Do we have a 'turbo' option?
LOL....

Previous stangs:
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
dclay

I would love to buy a Cobra engine and all of that but I think if I was going to go through all of that trouble I would just buy a Cobra for as cheap as they are going now a days... All I'm really wanting is like 450 hp to the wheels, and then I will be satisfied. If I get the power bug and have to have more then I will just build a race car or something, but all I want now is a pretty fast street car. Anyone have a P1SC in their car?? I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go that route.. If someone does have one please let me know what you think about it... Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
sideways03
LS What?

I have a P1. See my sig for supporting mods. It is fun, but the minute I drove it, I wanted more...
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
WC_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways04GT View Post
I have a P1. See my sig for supporting mods. It is fun, but the minute I drove it, I wanted more...
F1SC!!
WC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
Newskool Mach
10 second club!

I am one of those people that batted the Eaton procharger thing back and forth for a while. I decided to go with the D1SC so I could have boosted power immediatly and have the potential for 700 HP with a forged block. I couldn't be happier with my decision. love the sound and the performance of the D1SC. You are limited in horsepower with the stock Eaton.

03 Torch red auto (gone)
Newskool Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach View Post
I am one of those people that batted the Eaton procharger thing back and forth for a while. I decided to go with the D1SC so I could have boosted power immediatly and have the potential for 700 HP with a forged block. I couldn't be happier with my decision. love the sound and the performance of the D1SC. You are limited in horsepower with the stock Eaton.
True, but in order to run more boost with the D1 you are going to have to run higher octane. And it is not easy to swap pullies on the procharger. Instead of doing an eaton with the swap, you could go straight to a whipple, easily switching between your high hp pulley w/ race gas, and a bigger pulley for pump gas. Even with the forged internals you will need higher octane gas to run high boost, at least this is what my tuner tells me...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #20
Newskool Mach
10 second club!

Quote:
True, but in order to run more boost with the D1 you are going to have to run higher octane. And it is not easy to swap pullies on the procharger. Instead of doing an eaton with the swap, you could go straight to a whipple, easily switching between your high hp pulley w/ race gas, and a bigger pulley for pump gas. Even with the forged internals you will need higher octane gas to run high boost, at least this is what my tuner tells me...
I believe Linumup was around 700 RWHP on pump gas with a D1SC.

03 Torch red auto (gone)
Newskool Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay View Post
I would love to buy a Cobra engine and all of that but I think if I was going to go through all of that trouble I would just buy a Cobra for as cheap as they are going now a days... All I'm really wanting is like 450 hp to the wheels, and then I will be satisfied. If I get the power bug and have to have more then I will just build a race car or something, but all I want now is a pretty fast street car. Anyone have a P1SC in their car?? I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go that route.. If someone does have one please let me know what you think about it... Thanks guys
I had a P1sc in mine. Tis why I replied.

If you truly think you can stick to 450RWHP and get another car to beat on if you get hit with the power bug, then I would def. go with a used P1 and supporting mods.
Quote:
That depends on what boost level really. for instance 14 psi on pump gas should be fine, you just have to make sure the timing/tune are dialed in correctly.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach View Post
I believe Linumup was around 700 RWHP on pump gas with a D1SC.
Quote:
That depends on what boost level really. for instance 14 psi on pump gas should be fine, you just have to make sure the timing/tune are dialed in correctly.
I swear, I am getting closer and closer to changing tuners fast. Shaun at AED will not tune my car higher than 10lbs of boost no matter what blower I have on pump gas. And I have a built motor. I have heard that Force Fed in Sacramento is great with FI cars.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #23
ponygt65

Quote:
I swear, I am getting closer and closer to changing tuners fast. Shaun at AED will not tune my car higher than 10lbs of boost no matter what blower I have on pump gas. And I have a built motor. I have heard that Force Fed in Sacramento is great with FI cars.
Shaun is a very good tuner. He just likes to lean heavily on the safe side. Believe it or not, he looks out for his customers. I have spoken with him a few times and know several people that have used him.

But, if you're not happy, then trying a different tuner is your poragative. I dont' know much about force fed. I know of one member on here that had them tune his N/A auto mach. THey got his A/F dialed in pretty well. I'll post a link so you can contact him and see what he says.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Shaun is a very good tuner. He just likes to lean heavily on the safe side. Believe it or not, he looks out for his customers. I have spoken with him a few times and know several people that have used him.

But, if you're not happy, then trying a different tuner is your poragative. I dont' know much about force fed. I know of one member on here that had them tune his N/A auto mach. THey got his A/F dialed in pretty well. I'll post a link so you can contact him and see what he says.
I believe that he is a great tuner. I have not heard one negative thing about his shop, and I've seen the cars that come out of there... bad @ss. I also understand he is on the conservative side. I am just a little frustrated that I am not being able to use the potential of the motor I bought.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #25
ponygt65

Quote:
I believe that he is a great tuner. I have not heard one negative thing about his shop, and I've seen the cars that come out of there... bad @ss. I also understand he is on the conservative side. I am just a little frustrated that I am not being able to use the potential of the motor I bought.
I completely understand believe me. I would be a bit peeved spending that time/money/efforts and be very limited in relation to the potential.

Here's that link I mentioned.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=83945

Previous stangs: