2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Name Pending

Shelby vs Roush vs Saleen

and all the others.

Cobra vs Stage 3 vs S281 Extreme. One has been built by Ford while the others are slapped with parts from other vendors, and then built with what is probably a higher labor rate. The S281 is supposed to come with 550 horsepower, so why are we drooling over 500 in the Shelby? I know Shelby's name is a key part in it, but we know he didn't design the car, just discussed what it should be like over coffee with the real designers, put his name on it, and then drove some donuts for a video.

I guess what I am saying is, perhaps we are giving too much attention to the Shelby when Roush and Saleen have already been there? Believe me, I love the GT500, but I am also very impressed with the S281s too, and Brandon Ford is one of the largest Roush dealers in the country, so I see Roush Mustangs everywhere I go.

Truthfully I don't think the Shelby Cobra will really be worth all that money in the future. It isn't a '60s Mustang that die-hards covet, and 5 years from now I imagine 600 will be the standard and 500 horsepower will be like. . . well. . . feeling like our Mach 1s. Buying a used Shelby Cobra will be about as easy as buying a Terminator or Mach 1 in two years. . . so why people are shelling out all that cash for over MSRP is beyond me.

So what does everyone think of Shelby's competators?
Name Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Berzerk
Sporadic Poster

Re: Shelby vs Roush vs Saleen

I know you're looking for the opinions of the members here, but when I read your title, I instantly thought of this thread on the Corral in the S-197 forum. It would seem Saleen isn't looked upon too fondly.

http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=846562

Don't believe Saleen's power #s or weight.

Your point about paying loads of cash over MSRP is true. Its dumb, and the only thing you get is bragging rights for having the first one in your area, but are someitmes 10-20k lighter in the wallet.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Name Pending

Ahh. . . well, I have never driven one, but I know it is expensive too. I have seen them and thought they were nice looking cars. I just though since they are just modding an existing GT, unless you get the Extreme you are just wasting your money if that makes any sense. . .
Name Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Berzerk
Sporadic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Pending View Post
Ahh. . . well, I have never driven one, but I know it is expensive too. I have seen them and thought they were nice looking cars. I just though since they are just modding an existing GT, unless you get the Extreme you are just wasting your money if that makes any sense. . .
Yup, it makes sense. Anything other than the extreme is just a body kit, some pretty stuff and susepnsion. You're mainly paying for the name is what it comes down to. Even the extreme doesn't justify the price IMO. Like I said in the thread on the corral, why pay $70k for a 4.6 when you can get a 5.4 for less?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
TJ4Cam
Supercharger Heaven!

Well I currently own a S3 Roush and I can tell you it's more than "parts slapped on". Please visit fnsweet.com and you will learn about the Roush end of things.
2003 Jack Roush Classic Stg 3 #34 of 46 Built!
Zinc Yellow (the only one)
Roush Serial # 7425
Built 1/13/03

1985 Canyon Red SVO- My 1st Stang, sold
MCA 56545
TJ4Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
mymachsbetter03
turned traitor...

I personally dont like the styling of any of those cars, in fact the S197 platform in general, but that aside I would rather have the GT500 because it has the 5.4. If you have the money for an S281 or S3 Roush, the extra dough for the Shelby should not be too hard to come by.

LT's, o/r H, mac catback, 3.73's DD FR500's

Its no Mach, but it gets the job done!
mymachsbetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Berzerk
Sporadic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Cam View Post
Well I currently own a S3 Roush and I can tell you it's more than "parts slapped on". Please visit fnsweet.com and you will learn about the Roush end of things.
Well, you'd agree than that anything other than the S3 and Extreme are just body kits and suspension then?

Also, what is the MSRP on the Roush S3? They don't list it on their site. Isn't it something like $50k?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Fastbandit99
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Pending View Post
and all the others.
and Brandon Ford is one of the largest Roush dealers in the country, so I see Roush Mustangs everywhere I go.
Funny thing is that I was in a Body Shop in Tampa a few weeks ago and I swear they were putting Roush's together there. One car had just came out of the paint booth, brand new with window sticker in place, roush front and rear bumpers, stripes painted on. There were 2 brand new plain jane gt's outside waiting their turn.
Fastbandit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

saleen and roush make some cars with bigger numbers compared to the shelby but its also reflected in the price tag.

personally, I prefer the looks of the shelby over the others

The parts on the roush and saleen work well together, I think "just thrown together" is a bit misguided. I know on the 99-04 comparing saleen and roush side by side the Roush cars had faaaar better fit and finish

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
03BumbleBee

The Shelby could have been built and propably was by Ford and Ford alone.
I have heard some negative personal comments about Saleen in relation to his warranty. I myself think that Jack Roush is the modern day Shelby!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
NC Mach 1

Quote:
So what does everyone think of Shelby's competators?

Two words.

Cheaper insurance.

I sell IAC restrictor plates.
Here on Ebay
NC Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Family Man

Roush doesn't list MSRP, just what their packages cost and they have other options. And yes, a Stage 3 is more than a "body kit and suspension". See this http://www.roushperformance.com/mustang_st3.shtml
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbandit99 View Post
Funny thing is that I was in a Body Shop in Tampa a few weeks ago and I swear they were putting Roush's together there. One car had just came out of the paint booth, brand new with window sticker in place, roush front and rear bumpers, stripes painted on. There were 2 brand new plain jane gt's outside waiting their turn.

Then they weren't Roush's. Just like when a dealer adds a shaker, is that a Mach1? No.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
Fastbandit99
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael112402 View Post
Then they weren't Roush's. Just like when a dealer adds a shaker, is that a Mach1? No.
I am not saying that they are, but does every stage one Roush come from Roush or do dealers add the stage one body kits and parts call roush with the vin's and sell them as roushes? I have never seen another dealer in the area sell any roush clones. remember these were brand new cars.
Fastbandit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbandit99 View Post
I am not saying that they are, but does every stage one Roush come from Roush or do dealers add the stage one body kits and parts call roush with the vin's and sell them as roushes? I have never seen another dealer in the area sell any roush clones. remember these were brand new cars.

I know you weren't, sorry if it looked like I thought that. Roush's only come from Roush. All Roush's have an i.d. sticker in the door frame with a serial number on it too. I wouldn't be suprised if a dealer was adding the kit and trying to pass it off as one.