2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
Durrman

parking brake worn out

I think my parking break is worn out.

When I park the car I always set the parking break, and it holds the car in place just fine (I leave it in 1st gear too) - but when I'm driving down the street, if I pull up on the parking break as hard as I can, the car does not noticeably slow down. I always figured that doing this should really slow the car down (It's also called an E-brake, E for EMERGENCY right?).

Is there something that needs to be tightened up? Paking brake cable loose or something?

Thanks,
Durrman
Durrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
birdman941
Torque wins!

Re: parking brake worn out

Parking brake applies the rear pads.
Might want to get that checked.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
hawk
Braderunna

You apparently can't adjust the parking brake, it is self-adjusting. If it holds the car from rolling back down the driveway, and the handle only comes up a few clicks (less than 10 or so) then it is working ok. Try putting it on, and seeing how much more you have to rev the engine/slip the clutch to get moving.

If you don't notice a difference, then there are a couple things to check - first, check the rear pads, and make sure they are clean and dry. If you have gotten oil or gear lube on them, they will not work well.

It is also possible, that the self-adjust mechanism has frozen up. Way I understand it is the rear pistons adjust for pad wear by unscrewing from a pin. That is why when you replace the rear pads, you need to screw the piston back in so the new pads will clear the rotor. There have been a few people that have had to replace calipers because that screw is frozen or rusted into the back of the piston.

Something to remember, the rear brakes are not very effective by themselves at slowing the car down. They are smaller than the fronts, and single piston. They are also easier to lock up, (if using the pedal and if you didn't have ABS, or using the parking brake) because the weight transfers forward under braking.

And last, but not least, it is not referred to as an "emergency brake" in the documentation, but only as a "parking brake", so I don't think the intent is use it to stop the vehicle.

Good luck...

Visit my garage on mach1mustang.org for details.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

You can adjust the cable slack to allow for more force to be applied.
However Id look at the rear pads unless your ebrake handle comes way up (like pionts at the roof damb near) its prolly the pads that are worn

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
hawk
Braderunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mk1 View Post
You can adjust the cable slack to allow for more force to be applied.
How? I looked in the service manual for just such a procedure and found what I posted above, i.e. it is not adjustable. Maybe I missed something...

Visit my garage on mach1mustang.org for details.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
one mach 1
Pro-gun Conservative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
You apparently can't adjust the parking brake, it is self-adjusting. If it holds the car from rolling back down the driveway, and the handle only comes up a few clicks (less than 10 or so) then it is working ok. Try putting it on, and seeing how much more you have to rev the engine/slip the clutch to get moving.

If you don't notice a difference, then there are a couple things to check - first, check the rear pads, and make sure they are clean and dry. If you have gotten oil or gear lube on them, they will not work well.

It is also possible, that the self-adjust mechanism has frozen up. Way I understand it is the rear pistons adjust for pad wear by unscrewing from a pin. That is why when you replace the rear pads, you need to screw the piston back in so the new pads will clear the rotor. There have been a few people that have had to replace calipers because that screw is frozen or rusted into the back of the piston.

Something to remember, the rear brakes are not very effective by themselves at slowing the car down. They are smaller than the fronts, and single piston. They are also easier to lock up, (if using the pedal and if you didn't have ABS, or using the parking brake) because the weight transfers forward under braking.

And last, but not least, it is not referred to as an "emergency brake" in the documentation, but only as a "parking brake", so I don't think the intent is use it to stop the vehicle.

Good luck...
Well said hawk. Here are some green legos for you!