2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
punishermach

tranny problem

I have a 04 automatic mach and when my car gets in 4th gear its like im in neutral. Ive been told that it seems like the overdrive band is burned out does that sound rite.
punishermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
2k4mach
LuLz

Re: tranny problem

yup, sounds like the o/d band is toast
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
03 OW Mach 1 (sitting in a field rotting away)
2k4mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
punishermach

do you know of any good reliable tranny shops that will fix this?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Darrin
Transmission guy

I can help you but I am a little far away and I mostly work in the performance transmission market.

I do however offer everything from stock to outrageous builds if you want to talk. Shipping should be about $200 to get a transmission to you if you from here.

I also know some guys closer to you who do this work, but you will pay more and probably not get near as much for your money. The advantage there is that you can drop off the car and they will do all the work for you and do a great job.

In your case, if the overdrive is burnt up, you will need a rebuild on the transmission and a new torque converter. You always have to replace the torque converter and flush the transmission cooling system or the contamination from the last failure will make the new transmission fail.

But, there is also the possibility that the 3-4 shift valve is stuck in the valve body. It isn't really likely that it happened on a working transmission, but it definitely is possible.

I would pull the dipstick on your transmission and compare the look and smell of the fluid to known good fluid. If it is dark, has a purple tinge to it or smells wrong then the news is bad.

If the fluid looks and smells like it should then I would start thinking about a problem in the valve body. Actually, I would think about buying one of the modified valve body kits that I sell to fix that type of problem. Not only will it fix that issue, but you can get the shifts set up to feel however you want them to and have a valve body that will actually help the transmission by getting rid of a lot of the unnecessary slippage that a stock setup has. It doesn't have to be set up to be harsh shifting to do that and people sometimes aren't clear on that.

You can contact me at 317-514-0816 and I will try to help you out any way that I can.

Good luck with it.

Darrin
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
punishermach

Hey Darrin, thanks for the information. I'll be the first to admitt that i don't know alot about this type of problem, so here comes the stupid questions, If the o/d band burnt out does that mean that the 4th gear or clutch pak is damaged, and would it be cheaper to buy a master rebuild kit ,torque converter, seperatly or buy a tranny ready to go. I plan on adding some power to the car, after i get the trans taken care of id like to throw a 100shot on it. And later on and i mean later on down the road hopefully a kenne bell. So what type of upgrades do i need to make my trans?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Darrin
Transmission guy

With the fact that you plan to throw nitrous at it, I have to suggest a built transmission and converter package. The 04 has a better transmission in it, but it isn't going to hold up to that long term unless it's set up to handle the extra torque.

Cheaper is kind of relative in this case. Yes, you may be able to get something done a little cheaper up front, but in the long run it always costs less to do it right the first time. Not only do you have the peace of mind, you end up with more cash in your pocket that you can use on other stuff to make the car go instead of having to spend twice on the same parts.

Feel free to call me and we can talk over the options if you like.

Darrin
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
rhite95

Darrin is a great guy to deal with and if you are going to add power you
should go with a built trans and converter.

2004 MACH 1 Competition Orange (SOLD)

2007 Sport Trac Limited Oxford White V8 4X4
Magnaflow cat-back
SCT XCalibrator 2
K&N Drop in Filter
rhite95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
INDY
PERFORMANCE SOLUTION

Darrin is the man when it comes to the auto trannys in our Machs. Installing his trans and T/C combo in my Mach was the best mod that I have done so far. I leave the line on the bottle without being concerned about hurting the trans, plus it makes the car way more fun to drive. Give Darrin a call he is very helpfull and can help you choose a good combo.

Feel free to PM me any ??? about how the Mach drives with his T/C and trans, I installed mine over a year and a half ago and use my Mach as a daily driver. I try to make it to the track at least once a month or more. Plus more then a few of our customers are running a T/C and trans from him.

The only problem I have had with his trans is........................................... a complete lack of traction all the way through 3rd gear on my street tires. But I don't really think thats a bad thing.
INDY is offline   Reply With Quote