2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Mach1Fury03

car covers? good or bad

Hey guys i bought a car cover about 2 years ago for my mach and was putting it on today and had a guy drive by that i knew and he told me they will mess up your car more than they will protect it. he said in windy days they flap around and scratch it. Thoughts/comments please. What would be better just leave it out or cover it.

thanks

mike

Bone stock runnin 13.4 @105

Mods soon to come
Mach1Fury03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
NoChew_Blue03
phones + drivers = danger

Re: car covers? good or bad

I just have a cheap one from Auto Zone that has elastic on the bottom.

I don't know what would flap around on a car cover that would damage anything on a car.

NoChew_Blue03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Mach1Fury03

i got the same ****, bought a cheap one from pepboys, ( their most expensive) its elastic and i lock it in place inbetween my exhaust tips and bumper, fits perfect, it doesnt move at all but when i take it off ig et smudges from where it touches the paint. i think i might be better w/o it and just keep the mach waxed very well for easy cleaning.

Bone stock runnin 13.4 @105

Mods soon to come
Mach1Fury03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Marks04DSG
DSG forme

If you get a good custom fitted cover with soft weave flannel and use the tiedowns and cable it won't scratch your clearcoat. On a 100deg. day I'll take my custom fitted cover anyday..
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Immortal LuD

I would think if there is dust/dirt underneath, yes.

My Brother picked up an expensive one from Target, and it's peeled paint off his 1995 Cobra. Very pissed about that.

I don't even use my CDC cover.
Immortal LuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Blackpony04
Free Thanks to the Brave!

Mine has spent 3 years outside and covered with a Weathershield cover. It can haze the finish along the edges after a long winter but they've always buffed right out. I've started using a Noah Evolution cover for the summer (got it for a price I couldn't pass up) and haven't had any issues so far....

Recovering Mach Addict
Blackpony04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
G
Undocumented Member

I have a cover intended for both inside and outside use. I've started using it some and love it. I can't see how it could harm anything. Mine is a California Car Covers custom fit for a Cobra.

Their site has some good info on covers:

http://www.calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
FEARED
USN

just make sure it doesnt flap around.. secure that thing!
FEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
gotmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks04DSG View Post
If you get a good custom fitted cover with soft weave flannel and use the tiedowns and cable it won't scratch your clearcoat. On a 100deg. day I'll take my custom fitted cover anyday..

I agree. Must be made for the car for a good fit. Summitt raceing sales nice ones from Wolf.. I had one on my 83 vert . no problems..

Do take them off from time to time . Once I left mine on the Vert for about 5 months with out takeing it off the inside hade some mold in it. Take it off at least once a week and let the interia breath !
Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
NoChew_Blue03
phones + drivers = danger

I should clarify:

That cheap one I bought only goes on after I wash/wax OR do a quick detail and get all of the dust/bugs off of it. It is not real porous and I always have the same side up and the same side down since it will get the occasional smudge on it from being in a cramped garage.

It also sits inside a garage when it is covered, and dust is the only thing I am concerned about, not all the other elements you might encounter out of doors.

It is do hard to cover it with one person when the car is all slick after waxing that I put the front elastic under the license plate (I have to have one here or I'll get nailed every time) and then pull it back and then go back to the front and bring it down over the chin spoiler.

Then I pet it and talk to it.

I would definitely get a custom one if I was going for "mint" condition instead of my "anal-retentive execellent" condition since I am the 2nd owner.
NoChew_Blue03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
gfong
Greg Fonger

I used cheap and the moisture gets under and the paint gets hazy. I use the CDC cover now and if I leave it on after it rains it does move around and marks the paint a bit. It takes me about 2 waxings to get it off the high spots. I live in an apartment and deal with the elements and have found this to be the best way to keep the sun and elements off of the car. I store the car indoors in winter and there are no marks to speak of so it is the rain and the leaving on after the rain that is making the mess for me. Damed if I do and damed if I don't. I truely believe the CDC Mach 1 cover is an indoor cover and I am using it outside in Spring Summer and Fall. (my mistake)
gfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
Marks04DSG
DSG forme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal LuD View Post
I would think if there is dust/dirt underneath, yes.

My Brother picked up an expensive one from Target, and it's peeled paint off his 1995 Cobra. Very pissed about that.

I don't even use my CDC cover.
"Common Sense" make sure you have freshwax coat and wipe off dust 1st
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Immortal LuD

Yeah, tell that to the five hour claybar, and wax we did to it before we put the cover on.
Immortal LuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
E-MACH

If a cover is out in the wind and weather, make sure it's the best quality you can afford. Covers will absolutely rub off or scuff the paint if they don't fit like a glove. If your car is dirty and gritty when you put it on, that doesn't help matters either. My Probe GT got worn clear through paint on some corners from a loose fitting cover.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
Marks04DSG
DSG forme

I usually don't leave my cover on for days on end because my car is a dd, I can see how if left on for days/weeks outside without removing and wiping car down with some detail spray or whatever some damage could occur