2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 10-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
1MEANSTANG

Red face X pipe question? Get a new one, or stick with what I got?

Hey guys Whats up? I have a question for you! I'm runnning right now a UPR O/R X Pipe on my Mach with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust. A buddy of mine had it on his Mach and I thought it sounded awsome. At the time I didn't know how many different brands of pipes were out there, so I went ahead and ordered the same one. I really love the sound. Freakin awesome. Sometimes at WOT a little raspy but not that bad. I met up with a guy a the local Ford dealer hear in town and he loved the way my car sounded and asked what it was. I told him and he was shocked on how good it sounded. It turns out that he owned a Performance Mustang shop for 15 years. He said if I really wanted to get an even better sound a little more performance he said to get rid of my UPR and buy the DR. Gas X pipe. He also stated that it is a true X-crossover and not a fake and they put the x as close to the motor for increase flow and better horsepower.
My question is should I go ahead and spend the $250 for another X pipe and see how much different it will feel or sound or if I'm happy with what I got should I stick with it. Both are Aluminized steel so they will only last so long. And I only drive the Mach on the weekends in sunny weather. Never sees rain.
Anyone have a Dr gas x pipe and if so do you like it and should I change to it?Also how was the install. How many pieces does it come with?
Sometimes I hate bumping into people because they put things in my head that I can't sop thinking about. I was happy with the UPR and now I don't know???? Much of a difference or not?
1MEANSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

Re: X pipe question? Get a new one, or stick with what I got?

Comparing offroad X pipes to X pipe designs should not yeild a great difference from each other. Or for that matter the sound genrated between X pipes. Other than differences of material between each other and perhaps the fitment of the brands they should mostly perform the same way to each other. The same could be said to off road H pipe designs as well i believe. If i were you i would stick with what you have unless you do not enjoy the sound that is gerneraly related with offroad X pipes. Or if you have problems with the overall fitment of your brand X pipe which might warranted a change.
Orange whip 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
jganow

I think if you are happy with your x pipe now, just stay with that. There is no need to change out if you like the sound you have now. I don't see how the different pipe would make more power, but if it did, it would be very little. It wouldn't be worth it to me. You like what you have now. Keep it and enjoy it.

Kenne Bell 2.1 - 9 lbs
Bassani catted x
MRT Maxthunder Catback
MGW Shifter
17x8/17x9 black bullitts
jganow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Ben99GT
4V GT

The UPR is a "true" X-pipe. While it's true the Dr. Gas positions the X closer the engine and is a better quality piece I think you'd be wasting your money switching from a UPR X to a Dr. Gas X.

If your happy with the sound, stick with the UPR. Spend the money on something that will make a difference.
Ben99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
1MEANSTANG

Thanks guys. I think you are right! I'll stay with what I got. I'm happy with it and All of you are right. I could use the money to add more things to the Mach as well instead. In time when this pipe seen better days than I'll get something else. in the mean time lets ad more mods. Thansk guys!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
04azuremach
Loud, fast and fun

If you want it to sound better and have more power, get rid of the crap masters. Changing an aftermarket X for another one won't gain much, if anything performance wise.
04azuremach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
1MEANSTANG

I hate to argue with you 04 azuremach, but I've heard a lot of Mustangs out there in person with different setups. Yes, from Borla Stingers to Bassani and SLP also Magnaflow. To me they all have kind of a tinnning sound especially at high RPM. Almost to me like a import. I might be old school and always grew up with Flowmaster and to me Mustangs sound sweet with this and a Off road pipe.
Eventually I will be changing to MRT MAX Thunder because yes it's stainless steel and sounds similar to the flows.
But for all of us who only drive the Mach on sunny weekends and see no rain, like myself the Flows will last for some time.
I guess it's all personal preference. But from the amount of attention I get with everybody I will stick with the Crapmasters. Oh, I mean Flowmaster...LOL
Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANSTANG
I hate to argue with you 04 azuremach, but I've heard a lot of Mustangs out there in person with different setups. Yes, from Borla Stingers to Bassani and SLP also Magnaflow. To me they all have kind of a tinnning sound especially at high RPM. Almost to me like a import. I might be old school and always grew up with Flowmaster and to me Mustangs sound sweet with this and a Off road pipe.
Eventually I will be changing to MRT MAX Thunder because yes it's stainless steel and sounds similar to the flows.
But for all of us who only drive the Mach on sunny weekends and see no rain, like myself the Flows will last for some time.
I guess it's all personal preference. But from the amount of attention I get with everybody I will stick with the Crapmasters. Oh, I mean Flowmaster...LOL

That tinning sound you speak of is a normal charachteristic that the 4v engine produces and is even more prevelant with X pipes. It is there on stock systems as well just not as noticable. There is no way of getting rid of that anomoly completely.. all we can do is cover it up as best as possible. We can usually achieve this by sticking with H pipe designs and using cat back systems or certain mufflers that can help cancel out that odd sound. Bigger cam shafts can get that muscle car tone and help cover up that tinning sound too. Yes indeed, that Burrbly tone at idle and that raspish tinning sound at higher rpm is here to stay for 4v technology. It is noticed that the mach engines have a tone all there own and are unlike the tones of 2v or 3v engine tones.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
instantmassege
LS WHAT?

YEah i heard a bunch of flowmasters and i am deff not a fan of them.

exhaust, intake, tune.

12.9@109 2.051 60'
instantmassege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

I always thought flowmasters sounded good on the 5.0 liters during the fox days, but they dont sound so good on modular technology. I like to be different than everyone else and plus i think the 4.6 liter has its own tone following that it should not relfect the way fox 5.0 liter mustangs use to sound with flows. Its what sets us apart from all the rest i do believe.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
Ben99GT
4V GT

Well, I can tell you one thing, I would lay $$ on the table and bet by far most people off of the street would think my LT, O/R X, Flowmaster combo sounds better than anything from SLP, Borla, or Magnaflow. I bet it receives twice as many compliments in a day too. JMHO...

True X and Flows are a killer sounding combo. Also, Modulars do not have an inherent import-ish tone, it's all in exhaust choice. Run SLP LM, Stingers or Mangnapacks and you'll get the import rasp at certain rpms regardless of mid-pipe choice.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
1MEANSTANG

I agree with Ben, I get tons of compliments everywhere I go. I love my setup and will stick with it. Ben, were on the same page LOL
Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
jganow

I get tons of compliments on mine too. I don't have Flowmaster, but the MRT sounds very similar.

Kenne Bell 2.1 - 9 lbs
Bassani catted x
MRT Maxthunder Catback
MGW Shifter
17x8/17x9 black bullitts
jganow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #14
Ben99GT
4V GT

MRTs do sound sweet.