2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
JaredWOT

UDP/Oil Pump Gears

I have read on several different forums that a small diameter fluid dampener/harmonic balancer can cause breakage of the oil pump gears at or over 7,000 rpm's. Here's the question. Would the issue be fixed if I replaced the oil pump gears with TSS billet oil pump gears? I was planning to run a March Performance harmonic balancer, water pump pulley, and alternator pulley. I had second thoughts when reading about the oil pump gear breakages, but wondered if replacing them with stronger gears would allow me to run under-drive pulleys without the danger.
Will also be upgrading to an Edelbrock water pump.
JaredWOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Roy

Re: UDP/Oil Pump Gears

With the billet tool steel oil pump gears I make you can run any damper you want at any rpm you want.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
JaredWOT

Re: UDP/Oil Pump Gears

Thank you sir! I ask because I am ask because I am in the process of a NA build for my 03 Mach 1, and I want to be sure I won't break the oil pump gears as I plan to spin it pretty high.. I know it's more expensive in the long run than boost, but I would like to see how much power I can get from the car without boost or increasing displacement.
My build list is p&p 10" short runner (made by na svt), 90mm MAF, electric water pump, alternator pulley, harmonic balancer, billet oil pump gears, forged Manley h-beam rods, forged JE flat top pistons, MHS stage 3 CNC head package, MHS stage 3 cams (or custom cams by na svt), svt focus fuel pump, fuel injectors (poundage dependant on tuners suggestions), and custom dyno tune. Compression will end up being about 11.1
Car already has full o/r exhaust with LT headers (will upgrade to 1-7/8" kooks eventually)
I am doing a cobra t56 swap as well. Just waiting on the single piece aluminum driveshaft to arrive. McLeod clutch and aluminum flywheel, along with an MGW short throw shifter will complete the tranny build.
HP per dollar is obviously not my concern.
Car is my DD, but I live only 10 miles away from work. It seems, from research and word of mouth, that it would still be daily driveable with stage 3 cams, given at least a 4.10 gear ratio, which I already have.
JaredWOT is offline   Reply With Quote