2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 04-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Replaced my aftermarket clutch quadrant w/ the stocker...

Hello all. It's been forever since I posted here. Thought I'd drop you all a line...

You read correct: I replaced an aftermarket clutch quadrant set up I had on my car with a new stock one.

I've had MM clutch quadrant, clutch pedal height adjuster and MM f/w adjuster. I replaced the MM f/w adjuster with a Fiore one. I ended up removing the pedal height adjuster and somtime during all this I installed a Steeda quick-release quadrant and eventually I added the LDC freeplay kit.

The above transition was throughout at least a year and no matter how I adjusted everything it would never shift right.

Well, I finally decided,'fug it'. I bought what I thought were the stock clutch quadrant pieces and springs and a new clutch cable. What I ended up getting was the stock clutch quadrant already installed on the shaft that attaches to the clutch pedal...cool.

Anyways, I installed everything and those Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The clutch pedal travel distance is shorter and gear engagement is smoother. Plus, it automatically adjusts for ya. If it should wear out from being plastic, I'll just replace it with another stock one. I guess the grass wasn't greener on the other side of this one.

Anyways...thought I'd share
GrimlokTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Black Mach 1
32V Powered

Re: Replaced my aftermarket clutch quadrant w/ the stocker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlokTT View Post
Hello all. It's been forever since I posted here. Thought I'd drop you all a line...

You read correct: I replaced an aftermarket clutch quadrant set up I had on my car with a new stock one.

I've had MM clutch quadrant, clutch pedal height adjuster and MM f/w adjuster. I replaced the MM f/w adjuster with a Fiore one. I ended up removing the pedal height adjuster and somtime during all this I installed a Steeda quick-release quadrant and eventually I added the LDC freeplay kit.

The above transition was throughout at least a year and no matter how I adjusted everything it would never shift right.

Well, I finally decided,'fug it'. I bought what I thought were the stock clutch quadrant pieces and springs and a new clutch cable. What I ended up getting was the stock clutch quadrant already installed on the shaft that attaches to the clutch pedal...cool.

Anyways, I installed everything and those Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The clutch pedal travel distance is shorter and gear engagement is smoother. Plus, it automatically adjusts for ya. If it should wear out from being plastic, I'll just replace it with another stock one. I guess the grass wasn't greener on the other side of this one.

Anyways...thought I'd share

You should have gone with all Fiore products.

This is the first I've read about someone switching from aftermarket to stock quadrant/adjuster. It sounds like there was either a mismatch of parts and/or improper installation/adjustment.

Last edited by Black Mach 1; 04-28-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Black Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mach 1 View Post

This the first I've read about someone switching from aftermarket to stock quadrant/adjuster. It sounds like there was either a mismatch of parts and/or improper installation/adjustment.
I agree.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:

This is the first I've read about someone switching from aftermarket to stock quadrant/adjuster. It sounds like there was either a mismatch of parts and/or improper installation/adjustment.
Is that so? Is that because Fiore had an engineer develop the correct angle to the dangle for their quadrants whereas Steeda and Maximum Motorsports didn't? LOL

Are you aware of how F/w adjusters work? They simply take up the slack in the clutch cable to allow adjustability in clutch engagement. Quadrants, be their specific designs, control the speed and length of cable travel. It's hard for me to even see how one could affect the other except in the case where the f/w adjuster ran out of adjustment...

My belief is that the aftermarket quadrants may be designed after the fox body styles and don't move the cable as far as needed. (Just a wag there.) While some may be able to obtain a smooth engagment to smoothly shift on our style stangs, I think they may doing so at the deterioration of their TOB from having too much pressure placed on it...
Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
machery
user

I was considering replacing mine with an aftermarket, but now, maybe I'll leave it be. Just like the throttle bodys, The factory unit worked better to begin with.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Black Mach 1
32V Powered

Quote:
Is that so? Is that because Fiore had an engineer develop the correct angle to the dangle for their quadrants whereas Steeda and Maximum Motorsports didn't? LOL

Are you aware of how F/w adjusters work? They simply take up the slack in the clutch cable to allow adjustability in clutch engagement. Quadrants, be their specific designs, control the speed and length of cable travel. It's hard for me to even see how one could affect the other except in the case where the f/w adjuster ran out of adjustment...

My belief is that the aftermarket quadrants may be designed after the fox body styles and don't move the cable as far as needed. (Just a wag there.) While some may be able to obtain a smooth engagment to smoothly shift on our style stangs, I think they may doing so at the deterioration of their TOB from having too much pressure placed on it...
I'm not trying to call you out and make you look like an idiot since that seems to be how you're taking it with that sarcastic tone you've got going on.

The bottom line is that a properly installed Fiore combo will not produce the poor results you outlined in your first post.
Black Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:
I'm not trying to call you out and make you look like an idiot since that seems to be how you're taking it with that sarcastic tone you've got going on.

The bottom line is that a properly installed Fiore combo will not produce the poor results you outlined in your first post.
It's OK. Regardless of the fact that I don't care whether I am or look like one, the bottom line is I've exhaustively dealt with different combinations and different adjustments, and after all that, I can honestly say I do know what I'm doing. The tone you were getting was from the impression you gave off from your post. Let me clarify so I understand, were you saying your Fiore combo works great, you've had it in for a fairly long period of time and have had no clutch issues or are you simply relaying what you may have read or heard? Additionally, what is the difference between Fiore's design and the competitions that has you sold on Fiore?

Last edited by GrimlokTT; 04-28-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by machery View Post
I was considering replacing mine with an aftermarket, but now, maybe I'll leave it be. Just like the throttle bodys, The factory unit worked better to begin with.
After all of this, I'd recommend the only reason to replace these components and deal with all the mumb-jumbo is if you're a fairly serious racer and need quick, very dependable shifts...and you don't mind changing your clutch out more often. Good luck either way you go...
Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
G
Undocumented Member

From experience on 2 cars the Fiore combo worked perfectly on both of them. The Mach1 felt ok but I upgraded to the Fiore combo and immediately ditched the other brand that was on the GT. Both are working great and they have 8K and 12K respectively on the combo with no issues. They both have the original clutch cable and the Mach1 has the original clutch. The GT was upgraded to a Cobra clutch but that was way before the adjuster and quadrant were installed. I don't use any other devices (free play adjuster etc...)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
From experience on 2 cars the Fiore combo worked perfectly on both of them. The Mach1 felt ok but I upgraded to the Fiore combo and immediately ditched the other brand that was on the GT. Both are working great and they have 8K and 12K respectively on the combo with no issues. They both have the original clutch cable and the Mach1 has the original clutch. The GT was upgraded to a Cobra clutch but that was way before the adjuster and quadrant were installed. I don't use any other devices (free play adjuster etc...)
Did you notice a difference b/n the Fiore quadrant and whatever brand you had on the car beforehand?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

I switched to the Fiore because my stock setup wasn't fully releasing the clutch, even after repeated adjustments. No matter what I (and the dealership) did, my clutch was always too close to the floor and ended up burning up the blocking rings in 2 transmissions.

I tried the Steeda setup before the Fiore, but it didn't fit very well. I had almost no adjustment with the firewall adjuster. The Fiore setup really did the trick. After installing it, I immediately noticed smoother shifting and my high rpm lockout went away.

I believe a LOT of how well either the stock or aftermarket setup works is vehicle dependent. Some cars will work well with the stock setup, some won't.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
I switched to the Fiore because my stock setup wasn't fully releasing the clutch, even after repeated adjustments. No matter what I (and the dealership) did, my clutch was always too close to the floor and ended up burning up the blocking rings in 2 transmissions.

I tried the Steeda setup before the Fiore, but it didn't fit very well. I had almost no adjustment with the firewall adjuster. The Fiore setup really did the trick. After installing it, I immediately noticed smoother shifting and my high rpm lockout went away.

I believe a LOT of how well either the stock or aftermarket setup works is vehicle dependent. Some cars will work well with the stock setup, some won't.
I agree with all of that... I, as well, used the Fiore f/w adjuster and it is very nice compared to the rest of the field.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
hawk
Braderunna

The good news is, you can get most of your money back out of the Fiore pieces. Lots of folks clamoring to get some, now that Fiore has apparently stopped production.

Visit my garage on mach1mustang.org for details.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
BLKCLOUD

I always used the stock cable/quadrant - even in my 99 Cobra that I raced successfully in NMRA.

Use whatever works.

2005 Harley FXDWG
1999 Mustang Cobra
2004 NMRA Factory Stock National Champion
BLKCLOUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #15
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Did you notice a difference b/n the Fiore quadrant and whatever brand you had on the car beforehand?
Yes, it was a mis-match of UPR and Steeda. The improvement was immediate and profound.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)