2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 06-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
blk02mustang

Installed bassani x last night...

My dad bought me the SS bassani X-pipe with removeable cats for my birthday. Got it on the lift yesterday and went at it with some help. That thing ended up turning out to be a nightmare. It took almost 2 hours to install it and about 1 & 1/2 of that was getting the bottom bolt on the rider's side exhaust (flange?) off. We ended up breaking a wobble socket until we got the exhaust raised up enough to go at it with a 1/2" impact. I was really worried something was going to break at that point. Anyways got it on and it is loud as hell. I have the Slp loudmouth cat back right now but I can't stand the noise it makes. I bought the magnaflow cat-back and hopefully it will be here soon!

Should I get someone else to put the cat-back on or should I try it myself with some help?
Thanks
blk02mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Tungsten
Naturally Agitated

Re: Installed bassani x last night...

The cat-back will be a piece of cake. Just use a Sawzall to cut the stock tailpipe off right as it exits the muffler and you'll be set.

I have the Magnaflow cat-back on my Mach and will be swapping my catted Bassani X-pipe out for the modular SS pipe like you have this next weekend when I install the Bassani headers. I expect it'll be pretty obnoxious when I get done with it.
~ Born on May 12, 2003 at 12:38pm ~

2004 F250 SuperCrew 4X4 6.0L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel
Tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
blk02mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten
The cat-back will be a piece of cake. Just use a Sawzall to cut the stock tailpipe off right as it exits the muffler and you'll be set.

I have the Magnaflow cat-back on my Mach and will be swapping my catted Bassani X-pipe out for the modular SS pipe like you have this next weekend when I install the Bassani headers. I expect it'll be pretty obnoxious when I get done with it.
Stock Tailpipe? I need to keep the slp together so I can possibly sell it. I'm sure somone likes being that loud but not me.

BTW: How do you like the maganaflow? I listened to some exhaust clips and it was the only one that sounded decent to me. I really wanted the H-pipe because of the sound, but again it was a birthday present and they told my dad that the bassani X's give the most power so thats what he got me.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Tungsten
Naturally Agitated

Oh sorry, I misread that you already have the SLP. It will be even easier with that.

I like the Magnaflow a lot. Sometimes I have wished it were a little louder, but it's really loud enough at WOT even with the cats in the X-pipe. If the SLP Loudmouth is too raspy for you, I think you will enjoy the tone that the Magnaflow gives.

Just remember that the Magnaflow will get a little deeper and louder sounding with time and miles since the packing inside the muffler "loosens up" a little after the initial burn in.

My only complaint about the Magnaflow is the wimpy looking tailpipe tips. If you don't resell your SLP, you could probably reuse it's tips on the Magnaflow kit. Otherwise, you might want to order the MRT exhaust tips with rolled edges.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
blk02mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten
Oh sorry, I misread that you already have the SLP. It will be even easier with that.

I like the Magnaflow a lot. Sometimes I have wished it were a little louder, but it's really loud enough at WOT even with the cats in the X-pipe. If the SLP Loudmouth is too raspy for you, I think you will enjoy the tone that the Magnaflow gives.

Just remember that the Magnaflow will get a little deeper and louder sounding with time and miles since the packing inside the muffler "loosens up" a little after the initial burn in.
Awesome, I personally can't stand the "raspiness/loudness" of the slp's I actually liked the sound of my flowmaster's on my gt but they were too quiet. Once I heard the magnaflow sound clip I said what the hell and bought em. If I ever get some extra money I may still change out the X for an H, but until then I can live with it. The deeper it gets the better IMO. So how long should it usually take for the cat-back install?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Tungsten
Naturally Agitated

You should be able to install the catback in about 2hrs, including time to put the car up on jack stands or ramps and to take it back down. That's assuming that you go at a fairly slow pace and ensure that everything lines up to your satisfaction.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
blk02mustang

Alright thanks hopefully I can get it done on monday or tuesday and hopefully I won't get pulled over until then
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
slo65
mmm... sacralicious

a friend has a bassani o/r x with slp lm1's on his 01 cobra, its insanely loud, another friend has a fr500 catback with bassani o/r x on his 03 cobra, again my ears bleed
slo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
1meanmach
woamule

any tips on getting the passenger side off?
1meanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
White2003Mach1

i've got the bassani cated X pipe and magnaflow cat back also...........you won't be disappointed in the sound

'03 white Mach1-- born date 3/31/03
serial # 3243
bought on 4/19/03
personalized tag "MYSTANG"
White2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #11
TJ4Cam
Supercharger Heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanmach
any tips on getting the passenger side off?
Up there you need a super long extension to go along with your wobble socket....don't forget the new gasket on the pass side flange also.
2003 Jack Roush Classic Stg 3 #34 of 46 Built!
Zinc Yellow (the only one)
Roush Serial # 7425
Built 1/13/03

1985 Canyon Red SVO- My 1st Stang, sold
MCA 56545
TJ4Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
bearstang21
rookie

man that stock catted h pipe is a pain... after 3 or 4 times of taking it of and on u find the trick to it tho. i also got the bassani x and welded it up with no cats and have some 2 chambered flows welded in, i am very happy with the sound, but i believe the louder the better sooooo.... p.s. i live in carrollton so if you ever need some help or anything hit me up maine
Old 07-01-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
TR04MACH

The catback should be a walk in the park, its easier than switching the stock one out for an aftermarket one. I did that in about 40minutes including time to jack the car up and cut off the stock one. If the Loudmouth 1's are too loud for you, you should've tried the loudmouth 2's. Much deeper and not nearly as loud. I have the full slp system with them and its not all that loud. Much cheaper than buying a whole new catback. I get compliments all the time on my exhaust. I'd agree with the LM1's being too loud with an x/h or longtubes though.
SLP Catted Shorty X
SLP Powerflo Catback
JLT RAI Intake
SCT Tune on 4bank chip
Nitto DR 275/40/17
MM Lower Control Arms
MM Urethane Rack Bushings
Hawk HPS Pads w/ MM brake lines
MM Full Length Subframes
Steeda Tri-ax
Sirius

For Sale!
TR04MACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
blk02mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
Up there you need a super long extension to go along with your wobble socket....don't forget the new gasket on the pass side flange also.
My gasket stayed on the flange or whatever and the instructions said if it was torn to replace it and mine wasn't so I left it there. Should I worry about that? I noticed with the bassani that there is lots of play in that passenger's side part. It took forever to try and tighten it down and keep it lined up straight.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
blk02mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR04MACH
The catback should be a walk in the park, its easier than switching the stock one out for an aftermarket one. I did that in about 40minutes including time to jack the car up and cut off the stock one. If the Loudmouth 1's are too loud for you, you should've tried the loudmouth 2's. Much deeper and not nearly as loud. I have the full slp system with them and its not all that loud. Much cheaper than buying a whole new catback. I get compliments all the time on my exhaust. I'd agree with the LM1's being too loud with an x/h or longtubes though.
How do I tell which one I have? I am wanting to sell them so I will probably need to know. You think its written on the muffler or something?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #16
rar1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02mustang
My dad bought me the SS bassani X-pipe with removeable cats for my birthday. Got it on the lift yesterday and went at it with some help. That thing ended up turning out to be a nightmare. It took almost 2 hours to install it and about 1 & 1/2 of that was getting the bottom bolt on the rider's side exhaust (flange?) off. We ended up breaking a wobble socket until we got the exhaust raised up enough to go at it with a 1/2" impact. I was really worried something was going to break at that point. Anyways got it on and it is loud as hell. I have the Slp loudmouth cat back right now but I can't stand the noise it makes. I bought the magnaflow cat-back and hopefully it will be here soon!

Should I get someone else to put the cat-back on or should I try it myself with some help?
Thanks
check out this forum

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php
rar1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #17
JusMachN
2008 S281AF #9 of 24

Congrats, that is a kewl B-day present... Happy B-day to you!! NICE!
JusMachN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
blk02mustang

The magnaflow's came today. Hopefully I can put them on either tonight or tomorrow morning. What sucks Is the SLP's with the x kinda grew on me. But O well, I guess I will see what the magnaflow's and decide which one I want to stick with.
BTW: Will the bent part of the pipes just loop right over the axle, without having to move anything? I'm assuming they will because of all the pieces but this is my first cat-back install. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #19
Mach1Madman
DILLIGAFF

U might have to hold up the body with jackstands and let the rear suspension down to gain extra clearance. I just put my stands where the chitty factory subframe connectors meet at the rear and let the jack under the rear diff down to get enough clearance.
K&N drop in
Free Mods
Bassani Catted X
Dynomax Ultra Flo
Red Line Water Wetter
Meziere Electric Water Pump
SCT Custom Tune
Mach1Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #20
blk02mustang

Well since fireworks were banned in my county, I jacked my car up in the driveway and put the magnaflows on last night. This was my first cat-back install, took me almost 2 hours . They are really quiet but I love the sound when It revs up. You can't even hear the exhaust cruising 65 with the windows up! Its not an attention getter like before but man do I love the sound. I may have to take the cats off just to see what if any difference it makes. I was really happy with the quality fit in the magnaflow's, everything lined up perfectly first time. Well the only thing left exhaust wise is headers but I'm going to wait sometime before that.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
TJ4Cam
Supercharger Heaven!

Quote:
My gasket stayed on the flange or whatever and the instructions said if it was torn to replace it and mine wasn't so I left it there. Should I worry about that? I noticed with the bassani that there is lots of play in that passenger's side part. It took forever to try and tighten it down and keep it lined up straight.

You will prob be OK with the old one...just check the seal after a few drives..you will hear it if its not sealed up.
2003 Jack Roush Classic Stg 3 #34 of 46 Built!
Zinc Yellow (the only one)
Roush Serial # 7425
Built 1/13/03

1985 Canyon Red SVO- My 1st Stang, sold
MCA 56545
TJ4Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
04azuremach
Loud, fast and fun

Buy Bassani Mid Length headers to match your X pipe and getting the X pipe in and out will be a piece of cake. I can take my X pipe out in 5 minutes now.

The install of the headers, however, will be much, much worse :LAUGH:
04azuremach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #23
blk02mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04azuremach
Buy Bassani Mid Length headers to match your X pipe and getting the X pipe in and out will be a piece of cake. I can take my X pipe out in 5 minutes now.

The install of the headers, however, will be much, much worse :LAUGH:
Are headers really worth it? I always heard they were only good for like 5-10hp or so, and even less if they weren't long tubes. My tuition and dorm payments are coming up, I dunno If I could afford the headers and installation.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #24
04azuremach
Loud, fast and fun

Quote:
Are headers really worth it? I always heard they were only good for like 5-10hp or so, and even less if they weren't long tubes. My tuition and dorm payments are coming up, I dunno If I could afford the headers and installation.
I think a lot of people are getting around 20 RWHP from long tubes. I can't tell you how much they gave me because I had the headers installed along with many other mods that add power so I can't give you a break down.
04azuremach is offline   Reply With Quote