2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Tommy Z

Clutch Adjustment Necessary?

Hey guys!

Just had my 3650 fully rebuilt, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel put in, Spec stage 2 installed, and the Fiore/Steeda quadrant and adjuster installed as well. Now I did all the labor (with supervision from a super experienced mustang guy) except the trans rebuild itself. Everything went back together great! The transmission shifts flawlessly and the feel of the shifter along with the quadrant is awesome. Only thing is, I'm about 300 miles into the clutch break-in and noticed the clutch may not be fully disengaging. When at a stand still at any engine temp, any RPM, any incline, etc the car lurches forward when I put it in first (does it in 2nd and reverse as well). So before I go start cranking on the adjuster or knackering up the cable, I figured I'd get some advice. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
TheWaterSkier

Re: Clutch Adjustment Necessary?

You should have a slight amount of play at the top of the clutch pedal movement. If you don't, then turn the adjuster in (clockwise) a couple of clicks at a time until you do.

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

With the car at idle, I would loosen the firewall adjuster until the throw out bearing is for sure not touching, then tighten the firewall adjuster until you hear the throw out bearing start to "chirp" from touching the diaphram fingers. Then back it off just a hair. To test it, get back in the car and rev it up with the door open to hear if it chirps throughout the rpm range. When you lightly touch the clutch pedal (like half an inch to an inch range) you should be able to hear it chirp.
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Tommy Z

Got it. I'll give that a try. Thanks a bunch!
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote