2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
justin2050

mach 1 review question

Quote from Mach 1 review

"On this day it was clear that the K&N CAI was causing a lean condition, and that that condition would worsen when adding the CAT Back Exhausts. This is representative of the many enthusiasts out there who are or have done exactly this same set up modification. That is why there have been so many reports of Mach’s loosing the bottom end when modding with a CAT back. This is the condition that the dyno reported and is confirmed on this dyno and on this day that the lean condition indeed causes the loss of power on the bottom end. It should be noted that all systems tested posted both RWHP and RWT gains above the baseline dyno."

So I have this setup, should I put the stock air box and intake back on to get my low end back or get a different CAI .....anyone have any suggestions as to which I should get..... I wish I would have just left my f****** car alone........
justin2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Ralph Greene

I appreciate Tach9's attempt to give an honest evaluation of those CAI kits. But I believe the results show only that they make some power by running car leaner, and therefore really prove nothing at all. While they may flow more air, it's not clear to me more air is needed or how much of the HP gain was caused by running lean, or by them being a superior product VS stock. However, we all know most racers looking for that last few HP usually run a CAI kit of some sort with a tune.

IMHO it is very difficult to test performance products like that back to back without also doing custom tuning for each one and car being tested under exact same conditions.

Also some products react differently with other products on a dyno. And dyno conditions also change as a day goes on.

So I think Tach9's tests only show what those products did on that car without any tuning, and really mean very little. I do believe the cat back tests were more useful than other tests, and I suspect under more controlled tests would show little HP difference between products, just sound difference.

But I do appreciate his efforts and do understand how almost impossible the job would be to install and custom tune with every product. So I agree with him that it "showed what it showed". I hope he doesn't get discouraged and contunues with the tests, Just learn to use that Preditor.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
badappl

Preditor

:OFFTOPIC:
Ralph,
How do you like your Predator? I've heard good and average responses. Sry for the off topic question but I cannot decide between the Tuner or chipping mine.
Thanks

Some perddy stuff 'n some go fast stuff 'n some handlin' stuff
badappl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Ralph Greene

Don't have a Preditor. Have a 1725 SuperChips tuner which does what it is supposed to do.

Preditor does more if you know how.

Shop where I hang out some is associated with SCT, so that will be done before long. Will require me to buy a new unit to load custom tune into.

I think all these products are good, depending on what you want it to do, how much you want to spend, your level of tuning expertise or/and the product your shop uses. Both SC and Diablo make a range of fine products IMHO.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
justin2050

I dont like the predator all that much.....I would have been better off w/ a custom chip...
justin2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
badappl

Thanks!

Thanks Ralph and thank you justin2050 for your input, sry, didnt mean to hijack the thread.

Some perddy stuff 'n some go fast stuff 'n some handlin' stuff
badappl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
Medium Cool

Re: mach 1 review question

Quote:
Originally posted by justin2050
Quote from Mach 1 review

"t..... I wish I would have just left my f****** car alone........
Bingo...
Medium Cool is offline   Reply With Quote