2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
DrkShadow

Unhappy new to Mach 1, have engine noise.. please read

First things first. I have an '03 with a few mods. MRT intake, UPR O/R X pipe, welded in flows, 4.30's, aluminum driveshaft, SCT with Bama tune software, and Steeda Tri-Ax.

When I first got the car it had about 54k miles on it. I started to notice that when I was driving at 1900-2200 RPM at slight throttle (like just barely tip-in) it would make a rattle noise. I'm not familiar with exactly "head tick" sounds like, but it could be that. It sounds like a paint can rattle but very fast. I seem to hear it from the passenger side of the engine. Since then it has gone from me TRYING to make the noise to now whenever I'm cruising at part throttle (as if just maintaining speed) in any gear it makes this same noise and it seems louder. I recently changed out the plugs with Motorcraft plugs and it got better for a couple days but now is right back to being loud and hard to avoid. The car doesn't seem to be down on power too bad or anything. It isn't using oil and I don't notice any smoke (although it does smoke pretty bad on startup every once in a while, but seems worse in the warm weather) and the oil pressure seems okay.

Sorry for rambling on, but does anyone else have any experience with this same noise? I've heard all kinds of theories from timing chain tensioner to detonation to wrist pin noise to piston slap. Figured I would ask around here and see what you guys think.

thanks!

:Edit: Car has about 58500 on it now.
DrkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
311-420
Can't be bridled

Re: new to Mach 1, have engine noise.. please read

Is it down on power at all?

Did this happen after spinning it too high on accident? Missed a gear during a hard run? That could make a chain jump time.

Does it make the sound worse on start up? Chains/guides will sometimes make noise if somethings not right and will make a rattle sound until oil pressure gets up.

Have you listened to it with the hood up or just driving?

Did it start after some shiity gas or after you installed that email tune?

Any more details might help us....
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
DrkShadow

The car doesn't seem to be down on power at all. Never over-revved it, never missed a shift or anything. The strange thing is that the noise isn't as noticeable when free-revving the engine. I only seem to hear it while driving. It was making the noise before the email tune, which is one of the reasons I bought the tuner. I thought it was spark knock. The noise is the same whether cold or hot. I can drive it away from work and hear the noise and then I can get home (20 mins on the highway) and hear it in my neighborhood. I always run 93 octane from a newer gas station near my house, but I've run BP, Exxon, Citgo, etc. and it seems to not make a difference. I'm wondering if the cylinder head is carboned up or something.. anyone had that problem before? I'm also thinking that it could be losing a little oil pressure and slacking the timing chain or losing a lifter.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
jcooper0818
i bet my car is faster...

maybe an exhaust leak at the shorty header where it meets the mid pipe extension....i have one on the driver side an it slightly resembles the noise your talking about..i also have a upr o/r x and it didnt start until it was installed causing a leak
IUP
Typical Bolt Ons
296hp/331tq?? on MustangDyno??
Best Time:12.83@106 1.72 60ft
jcooper0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
311-420
Can't be bridled

Have you listened to it from under the hood while throttling it with your hand? I ask this because an offroad x pipe with chambered mufflers will make a rattling sound at those same rpms you describe. If you are certain it's engine related, then disregard this.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

Pinging or exhaust leak

could also be pluged up injectors or fuel filter.

That smoke you are getting, what color is it?

If there was carbon build up on the valves, there should have been some on the spark plugs when you first took them out. Try some seafoam and see if that helps a little.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
gamatt
Mustang Fanatic

I vote for exhaust leak. For some reason Ford decided a flat connection instead of a ball joint type was a good idea on the passenger side. Loosen and re-tighten the bolts on the flange and see if that helps. Or get a new gasket for that side, remove x-pipe and install the new gasket. Heck maybe the previous owner installed the x-pipe and didn't replace the gasket.
gamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
Iowa

shaker loose..? when its ideling put your hand on the shaker and see if it stops..? mine was like this
Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
DrkShadow

It's definately not an exhaust leak. I've had the X pipe down (actually swapped out a ProChamber and installed a new gasket on the passenger side). I know it's not the rattle noise from an X pipe, because I ditched a BBK X for a UPR because of that noise. I'm thinking it could be an injector problem. The smoke I was seeing was white-ish grey. Didn't smell too much like burnt oil or anything, just seemed like it was running rich as hell. Could have been some oil from maybe the PCV being clogged or something. I'm going to have a tech ride with me at work and see what he thinks, maybe try a fuel injector service see if that changes anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
311-420
Can't be bridled

Use a pair of steel ears or listening device to narrow it down to a top-end or bottom-end issue. Then go from there.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

It definitely doesnt sound like the head tick
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
04MACH!DSG

Mine does the same thing. It has been doing it for the past 2 years and I have a s/c. It was doing it prior to the s/c. One shop told me piston slap. I don't know for sure. I really is an annoying sound though.

470 rwhp
410 rwtq
On a mustang dyno
04MACH!DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
DrkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MACH!DSG View Post
Mine does the same thing. It has been doing it for the past 2 years and I have a s/c. It was doing it prior to the s/c. One shop told me piston slap. I don't know for sure. I really is an annoying sound though.
Yeah man, it's annoying as hell! I had my tech ride with me today and he thinks it could possibly be a timing chain tensioner noise. I looked up the labor time and that bastard pays 7.8 hours to do. I was hoping it would be an easy fix...

I'm going to take it to my local Ford dealer and have their engine guy ride with me. I just wanna either a)fix it or b)find out it's not hurting anything and just drive it like I stole it.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
04MACH!DSG

Let me know what they say. I may take mine in again cause it seems like it was getting worse when I put it away.

470 rwhp
410 rwtq
On a mustang dyno
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

I'm leaning towards a fuel issue. Maybe the A/F ratio is off a bit.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
DrkShadow

Had my friend at Ford contact tech line with this and they came back with "check everything" basically. Said it could be chain tensioner, restricted oil passage, low oil pressure, etc etc etc. Basically, turn up the radio and drive it until it gets worse. I would have to tear it apart and then search for what's causing it. So far it doesn't seem low on power so I'm just gonna beat it like it's stolen. haha!

Thanks for the help, if anything changes or I get more info on this I'll update this thread (assuming it doesn't go away)
Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

My Mach 1 was doing a similar thing. It turned out to be where the shaker mounts to the car. I pulled the shaker off, tore off pieces of shop towels and put them inside the mounts (on the shaker), then put it back on. To find out, have someone rev the engine while you stand outside of the car. Place your hand firmly on the shaker to see if the sound goes away. I also have a rattle on the catback. It can be deceiving and sound like it's coming from up front. Worth a try!
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
DrkShadow

I don't think it is the shaker. Mine makes that same noise. This is a definite mechanical noise, like a rattle. I've been wanting to fix the shaker squeak anyway, so maybe I'll take it off and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
BADNBLUE

Good luck! Will be watchin this thread. Just had an aluminator put in last year because my original motor with 35000 miles on it was making the same noise. They did the clutch thinking that was it, then the timing chains and tensioners on it and it didnt change anything on it. When all was said and done they said for what it would cost to tear down farther and figure out what was wrong with it I would be money ahead just to get a new shortblock. Then I figured what the hell I got the head tick anyway why not spend a little more and do the aluminator long block. Well when it first went in all was good it was stone silent then after putting a couple thousand miles on it its making the same noise the old motor was making but only when its cold, when its warmed up its still completly silent. So this spring its gonna go back in to be checked out. Im just bettin there gonna tell me its normal. Sorry to rant just had to get that out.

CURRENT RIDES:03 zinc yellow mach1 not stock anymore!
BADNBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Rpunisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkShadow View Post
I don't think it is the shaker. Mine makes that same noise. This is a definite mechanical noise, like a rattle. I've been wanting to fix the shaker squeak anyway, so maybe I'll take it off and see what happens.
im only about 20 minutes from abingdon..... maybe this weekend depending on if we get this snow tonight we could meet up and take a listen...
Rpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
DrkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpunisher View Post
im only about 20 minutes from abingdon..... maybe this weekend depending on if we get this snow tonight we could meet up and take a listen...
I actually got called in to work with my dad this weekend. I'm just going to keep driving it and see if it changes/gets worse. If it blows up I'll just do a blown cobra motor.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Here's what caused my engine rattle....

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ghlight=rattle
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
04MACH!DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post

That doesn't sound very good at all, especially since I don't have a warranty.

470 rwhp
410 rwtq
On a mustang dyno
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
DrkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that is what my noise is as well. I'm just going to drive it and see if it gets worse. If it lets go I guess I'll have to build a new engine. hehe
Old 11-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
Giller

I have this same problem. I was told it is the lifters.