2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
nastynate_03

coilover question

ok i dont know what im doing!! im installing my hp twin turbo kit and everthing is fine untill i start the suspension i installed qa1 cc plates(which are terrible craftsmanship by the way ) and im installing granatelli coilover conversion. my question is on the coilovers i mounted them and everthing looks fine but the top of the spring is hitting the bottom cc plate?? do i just add another spacer?(also what purpose do these spacers serve i could install the strut without them??) thats another question the instructions show two spacer below the cc plate and one on top but i can only squeeze one on bottom and thats it?? do i need to pull the shaft out some more on the strut? also when installing the strut how much do i tighten the strut mounting nut on top of the cc plates im tightening it with my impact gun and it just keeps on going. its pulling the shaft up out of the strut so how much threads should be showing?? any particular number or should it just be torqued down somebody help please?????? oh also do you reuse the bumper stop that was underneath the dust boot? cc plates show picture of it being used again but granatelli doesnt mention anything about it. thanks nate
-stainless steel valves
-comp stage 2 cams
-LT's & o/r x-pipe
-SLP lm1's
-ati dampner
-billet gears
-jlt cai
-mezierre e/wp
-php intake spacer
-accufab t/b
-sct 2 custom tuning
-hp twin 57mm turbos on the way!!!
return style fuel system
nastynate_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
nastynate_03

Re: coilover question

come on i know somebody knows something??????
-stainless steel valves
-comp stage 2 cams
-LT's & o/r x-pipe
-SLP lm1's
-ati dampner
-billet gears
-jlt cai
-mezierre e/wp
-php intake spacer
-accufab t/b
-sct 2 custom tuning
return style fuel system
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
DTMach1
semi-pro moderator

First, you need to use a bump-stop. I believe you can find an aftermarket one that will work or you can try your stocker, second it sounds like you do need to add some spacers (try 1 on top 2 on bottom). Without that bump-stop you are going to have a very noisy/annoying ride.

There should only be about 3-4 threads showing through the top and the strut's nut should be torqued to 74 ft-lbs unless your strut MFG calls for something different. Keep in mind you may have to torque that nut with a crow's foot which will lengthen your torque wrench a tad, therefore you need to do some calculations for the added length. To be safe, I'd say 65-70 ft-lbs will get you where you need to be if using a crow's foot.

2004 Mach 1
IUP/5spd/DSG
Engine, etc done...sits in the garage
DTMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
DTMach1
semi-pro moderator

Another piece of advice...sometimes it is literally impossible to get the right amount of torque on the upper strut nut. It really does vary with the MFG, so if you find yourself unable to get that much torque (ie the strut shaft is spinning as you try to torque); I suggest using some blue lock-tite on the nut itself, then putting a small 1/4" torque stripe on top of the nut and the threaded part of the strut to monitor the nut itself.

2004 Mach 1
IUP/5spd/DSG
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
nastynate_03

thank you the bumpstop is that rubber piece that was underneath the stock dust boot right? and i already installed that i also installed two spacers underneath but i cannot get another one on. the strutshaft isnt long enough?? will two spacers underneath be ok without a spacer on top? thanks a million

nate
-stainless steel valves
-comp stage 2 cams
-LT's & o/r x-pipe
-SLP lm1's
-ati dampner
-billet gears
-jlt cai
-mezierre e/wp
-php intake spacer
-accufab t/b
-sct 2 custom tuning
return style fuel system
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
DTMach1
semi-pro moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynate_03 View Post
thank you the bumpstop is that rubber piece that was underneath the stock dust boot right? and i already installed that i also installed two spacers underneath but i cannot get another one on. the strutshaft isnt long enough?? will two spacers underneath be ok without a spacer on top? thanks a million

nate
Are there a varying size of spacers? Really I cannot tell you the exact number of spacers you need...however you need to understand that the spacers are there to give you proper strut travel because you remove a lot of the factory NVH material when switching to a coil-over with C/C plates. If you place to few spacers on the bottom then the strut shaft will be too long on top which will cause a problem with hood-interference.

If your C/C plate has a metal bearing on top you definitely need a spacer on top. I would guess that if you can get it so that after tightening down the strut you only have 3 threads showing I'd say you're okay.

If it's possible can you take some pictures? That would help out a ton.

2004 Mach 1
IUP/5spd/DSG