2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Power Adders

Power Adders Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous, etc...

Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
ceracer33

need some help with a procharger kit

here's the deal. this is all for my dads 03 mach 1. i will be doing the install for him. we have found a really good deal on a used procharger kit that is coming off of a 97 cobra. it has the p1sc head unit. from my understanding the mounting bracket from the cobra will not work on the mach 1, but the piping and the intercooler should all work correct? we plan to only run 5psi, and i was told that only running that low of boost we would not need to upgrade the fuel pump or injectors. although im sure it would be a good idea to upgrade, is what i was told true? i was thinking he would need atleast injectors. but then again didnt the mach 1's come with bigger injectors than gt's? im use to working on my 99 gt, and i know my 19lbs injectors would be too small. im thinking the fuel pump should be ok, but im really concerned about the injectors. we are trying to do this on a budget, and my dad is really not looking for a ton of power. he wants to keep it low boost for reliability. the kit comes with a 3 core intercooler and a new bypass valve, so we should be good there. other than the mounting bracket, what else would i need to bolt this kit on and go? tuning will be done via sniper software and a wideband. i'll just create a very safe tune for him, and have my tuner look it over good to verify that its a safe tune. anyone have any suggestions on what else i need to look into getting before i begin this install? if the stock injectors will get us by with 5psi then we will leave them in for now, but i dont want to run them over 85% duty cycle. any help would be much appreciated.
ceracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
underdog1973

Re: need some help with a procharger kit

your gonna need injectors even at low boost you can get 39# from a 03-04 cobra fairly cheap on ebay lots of cobra guys upgrade and go bigger also the fuel pump will need to be upgraded $100 for a svt focus pump
as for only 5psi that might be hard to do a 4" pulley makes 8-9psi and only has about 1/16th of clearance between it and the valve cover you would need roughly a 4.40" pulley to get around 5psi and that for sure would not clear the valve cover you also need a new maf meter or a diablo mafia to handle the extra air flow
4:10 rear gear
bfg drag radials
steeda tri-ax shifter
steeda lca's
13.169 @106.43 mph n/a
underdog1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
ponygt65

I don't think you'll get 5psi. If memory serves me correctly they have a 4.1" (or the 4" referenced above) is rated at 6-8psi. That is the lowest psi rating you can get.

WIth that said, you will need injectors (Machs are 24#, not 19 like GTs), and a Fuel pump. I would suggest a Focus SVT pump or a FGT (with modified basket) for only $100. I know you'll need a bracket, but I do believe some piping as well (does the 97 cobra have the same size TB - oval or round?).

(finish this one later.....have to run).

OH ral quick....If 'on a budget' is a HUGE thing...I would NOT go FI. You'd be surprised at how fast it gets pricey no matter how much planning/research you do...TRUST ME.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
ceracer33

hhmm interesting. the guy was saying it was pullied to make 5psi. so i would definately need injectors and a fuel pump. no doubts about it huh? no way around the maf upgrade either? and probably wont be able to run 5psi? is 10psi gonna be safe on stock internals though? this car is bone stock and he does not want to chance blowing it.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceracer33 View Post
hhmm interesting. the guy was saying it was pullied to make 5psi. so i would definately need injectors and a fuel pump. no doubts about it huh? no way around the maf upgrade either? and probably wont be able to run 5psi? is 10psi gonna be safe on stock internals though? this car is bone stock and he does not want to chance blowing it.
4" pulley, MAF.ia or sct2400+, fuel pump, injectors, tune, gauges. That's the 'jist' of it as far as necessaties. (well, maybe not the gauges, but I think they are a needed item).

Tune it to 400 rwhp.

Previous stangs:
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
ceracer33

man, if he's gotta buy all that stuff too he probably wont be doing it. oh well. if we are gonna do it we gotta do it right.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
1bad4vgt

a 97 cobra kit will need alot of stuff, a 01 cobra kit only needs a couple things. you will need a bracket, offset spacer, Idler pulley w/bushings, coolent crossover tubes, rad hose bag, shaker bracket, and 2 inlet pipes. that stuff from procharger will run around $700. That is just to get it mounted you still will need Diablosport Maf.ia, cobra 39 injectors and a svt focus pump.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Newskool Mach
10 second club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog1973 View Post
your gonna need injectors even at low boost you can get 39# from a 03-04 cobra fairly cheap on ebay lots of cobra guys upgrade and go bigger also the fuel pump will need to be upgraded $100 for a svt focus pump
as for only 5psi that might be hard to do a 4" pulley makes 8-9psi and only has about 1/16th of clearance between it and the valve cover you would need roughly a 4.40" pulley to get around 5psi and that for sure would not clear the valve cover you also need a new maf meter or a diablo mafia to handle the extra air flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
I don't think you'll get 5psi. If memory serves me correctly they have a 4.1" (or the 4" referenced above) is rated at 6-8psi. That is the lowest psi rating you can get.

WIth that said, you will need injectors (Machs are 24#, not 19 like GTs), and a Fuel pump. I would suggest a Focus SVT pump or a FGT (with modified basket) for only $100. I know you'll need a bracket, but I do believe some piping as well (does the 97 cobra have the same size TB - oval or round?).

(finish this one later.....have to run).

OH ral quick....If 'on a budget' is a HUGE thing...I would NOT go FI. You'd be surprised at how fast it gets pricey no matter how much planning/research you do...TRUST ME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
4" pulley, MAF.ia or sct2400+, fuel pump, injectors, tune, gauges. That's the 'jist' of it as far as necessaties. (well, maybe not the gauges, but I think they are a needed item).

Tune it to 400 rwhp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad4vgt View Post
a 97 cobra kit will need alot of stuff, a 01 cobra kit only needs a couple things. you will need a bracket, offset spacer, Idler pulley w/bushings, coolent crossover tubes, rad hose bag, shaker bracket, and 2 inlet pipes. that stuff from procharger will run around $700. That is just to get it mounted you still will need Diablosport Maf.ia, cobra 39 injectors and a svt focus pump.
^^What these guys said. DO NOT skimp on fuel. Save the money and do it right. A stock motor will handle under 450RWHP.

03 Torch red auto (gone)
Newskool Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceracer33 View Post
man, if he's gotta buy all that stuff too he probably wont be doing it. oh well. if we are gonna do it we gotta do it right.
That's a smart choice. Do it right the first time, or you'll pay twice as much later.

Previous stangs: