2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
JasonARGY

Headunit help

I am looking to upgrade my headunit because i want to listen to my iPhone and charge it.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM92...tp=20217&avf=N this is what i found. my dad has one in his 2009 Towncar, i like it and also works great with my phone.
Do i need a wiring harness to go with it to work with my mach 460 amps and speakers? I also remembering reading somewhere that switching out the 460 head unit and keeping the 460 amps and speakers lessens the sound quality, is this true?
Thanks
JasonARGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
JaybTorchedMach

Re: Headunit help

I would definitely go for something of a more reputable name: Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood. Search around. You can find some good deals. Yes, you'll need a wiring harness. You'll need a Metra 70-5519 if you have a 2003 or a 70-5521 if you have a 2004. If you equalize right, I wouldn't say it lessens the quality, but it definitely could sound better so as soon as you have the funds, do away with the 460 system all together and start from scratch with some components, subs, and amps.
JaybTorchedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
04VAMach1

Crutchfield includes the wiring harness that you need. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or chat with them.
04VAMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
nitehunter1989

Im not sure if they still have it but there was a member on here selling his headunit, amp, subs, so all you would need to get is the wiring for the amp install. It really wasnt bad priced either, i have all mtx in my car and havent had a problem with it.
nitehunter1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach View Post
I would definitely go for something of a more reputable name: Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood. Search around. You can find some good deals. Yes, you'll need a wiring harness. You'll need a Metra 70-5519 if you have a 2003 or a 70-5521 if you have a 2004. If you equalize right, I wouldn't say it lessens the quality, but it definitely could sound better so as soon as you have the funds, do away with the 460 system all together and start from scratch with some components, subs, and amps.
When using the factory harness adapter (70-5521 or 70-5519 Ford aplified system adapters) put an RCA pigtail on the little guy it comes with's left and right wire pair and hook it to SW pre-out if your deck comes with it, or to rear pre-out if not. Really wakes up the Mach system. Line driving it (running it off the wired front or rear outs from the deck) sounds like complete canned a*shole. And running it off Sub out gives you dedicated bass control with seperate EQ control over your highs. Free knowledge. Use for what it's worth.

I like Excelon... Followed by Pioneer Premier for ease of use and higher juice RCA outs. Alpine is easy to previous Alpine owners, but still really good if you want to RTFM several times.
JMFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
JaybTorchedMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFT View Post
When using the factory harness adapter (70-5521 or 70-5519 Ford aplified system adapters) put an RCA pigtail on the little guy it comes with's left and right wire pair and hook it to SW pre-out if your deck comes with it, or to rear pre-out if not. Really wakes up the Mach system. Line driving it (running it off the wired front or rear outs from the deck) sounds like complete canned a*shole. And running it off Sub out gives you dedicated bass control with seperate EQ control over your highs. Free knowledge. Use for what it's worth.

I like Excelon... Followed by Pioneer Premier for ease of use and higher juice RCA outs. Alpine is easy to previous Alpine owners, but still really good if you want to RTFM several times.
Yes, good point. I did the same thing.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

If you get lucky some of the 04+ harnesses come with the RCA depending on the mfr. I love pulling decks out of do it yourselfer's cars with duct tape on the twisted wires and people complaining the new radio sucks lol. Too late, you pay me now, your old 6 disc is in a billion smashed pieces in an effort to retrieve your CDs ha ha.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
JaybTorchedMach

I'm guessing you're in audio installs? Gotta love how smart some people are. Eventually I plan on scraping the 460 and replacing it with 6 1/2" components and 2 slim 12's. It's gonna take some customization and a 100 ft of speaker wire
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach View Post
I'm guessing you're in audio installs? Gotta love how smart some people are. Eventually I plan on scraping the 460 and replacing it with 6 1/2" components and 2 slim 12's. It's gonna take some customization and a 100 ft of speaker wire
You guessed it. On top of ASE I'm also First Class MECP. Think it expired a year or so ago, whatever. I made this too:

and here's me pissed off at the photographer while effin' with the headliner:

Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

You should keep being a smartass to someone trying to help with some actual intellegence and over 13 years of experience too. Great idea.

Just an Escalade I did for the TV show Deal or No Deal. Holding a check from NBC is pretty cool, even though it was more generic than any payroll check I've ever seen on really poor quality paper. We did the whole truck in 48 hours.

Last edited by JMFT; 09-10-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

Sorry Jason for the threadjack. Was trying to help and couldn't find the "oh-snap" smilie icon so I figured I'd throw in my resume through a thousand words. I know nothing about audio lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
JaybTorchedMach

Quote:
Looks good. Too much audio for a Mach though.. Definitely have some skill. What did you build that in?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
JMFT
Will sell tires 4 food.

05 scion xB, that was the coolest little work car I've ever had lol. All that weight in magnets and batteries was a turd on the onramp though. But it'd knock the rearview mirror off the car next to you's windshield!

You should have an Ultimate near you Jayb, I think they have a Subaru Impreza they did that's pretty nifty too.

Last edited by JMFT; 09-10-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
JaybTorchedMach

There is an ultimate in town. Haven't gone in awhile though since I do my own installs and I can find better deals online. They recently moved though so I'll have to check out their new store.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
JasonARGY

Quote:
Sorry Jason for the threadjack. Was trying to help and couldn't find the "oh-snap" smilie icon so I figured I'd throw in my resume through a thousand words. I know nothing about audio lol.
haha, no problem i can appreciate the work you do.

As far as stereo i've decided to get this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX5...3.html?tp=5684 for now and upgrade to some nice component speakers in the near future.
JasonARGY is offline   Reply With Quote