2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Stopsign32v

How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer

I figured I'd write up this while I rest alittle bit and cool off.

Since there is alot of intake spacers out there. I've heard bigger is better but the shaker limits the height. Also I think alot of people go with the 3/8" over the 1/2" because they feel it is easier to install the 3/8". However I will go step by step for installing the 1/2". Its simple as can be!

1: Unhook the battery, this will allow the computer to reset while you install the spacer.

2: On both sides of the shaker there are 2 10mm bolts you have to take out.

3: Take some snips and snip the two zipties holding the drain hoses to other hoses, then unhook the shaker from the filter housing and pull the shaker off the car

4: There will be 4 10mm bolts holding the shaker bracket on the intake lid (aka upper intake)

5: Take a 8mm socket and loosen up the hose clamp holding the intake pipe to the throttle body and also take out the 8mm bolt holding the filter housing to the fender. After this unhook the MAF and pull the whole intake off the car as one and put it to the side.

6: Now unhook all the sensors that are connected to the intake lid. I found the sensor on the back of the intake that has 2 hoses going to it easier to just unbolt the two 7mm bolts holding it on. This way you keep the hoses on it because they are a pain to get off.

7: Take out the two 10mm bolts holding the EGR housing on the intake lid. Put the EGR gasket to the side (or buy a new gasket, I reused the stock one)

8: Take out the two 8mm bolts holding the throttle cable bracket to the intake lid. Unhook the cruise control plastic clip. Push the throttle back with your hand to give some slack on the throttle cable. With your other hand take the throttle cable out. Then take the spring off of the intake lid and place the throttle cables out of your way.

9: Start unbolting your intake bolts. There are seven 8mm bolts holding the intake lid on the lower intake. After you take them out you should be able to lift your intake lid off easily. If not check what you missed and then unhook it.

10: Install the intake spacer. I used a spacer from Roy and he supplied me with everything needed. Reuse your original gasket and place the other gasket on the side of the spacer that will be touching the intake lid.

11: Bolt back down the intake lid going at different sides. (tighten one bolt down alittle then go to the other side and continue this back and forth) DO NOT tighten one bolt all the way down at a time! Roy supplied six 10mm bolts that are longer to use. You will have to reuse the bolt closest to the battery (the one that has a place on the top of it for the throttle cables to clip onto).

12: Reclip all of the sensors and vacuum lines back on. Dont forget the back sensor that you need to reinstall the two 7mm bolts. After you do this go back over all the sensors and hoses and make sure you got them all! I can't count how many times I've gotten in a hurry and missed a sensor or hose.

13: Reinstall the two 8mm bolts that hold the throttle bracket onto the intake lid and then reinstall the throttle cables and cruise control

This is where everyone has problems at but it really isn't bad at all if you know what to do!

14: If you have alittle bit of gasket maker around put some on your finger and put it alittle bit around the EGR gasket so it will stay on the intake lid while you work.

15: I took the spare tire iron out of my trunk and taped alot of duct tape around the handle end of it so that it wouldn't scratch my firewall. Then place the handle end of the tire iron between the firewall and the back of the EGR tube that is going down to the header. Pull it alittle bit towards you as you push the EGR housing towards the EGR gasket. As soon as you line up the holes start to put in the 10mm bolts. HOWEVER make sure you keep pulling as you thread the bolts into the hole! This will keep you from cross threading the holes! It might take alittle bit of trying but this is the way to do it! Do not try loosing up the EGR down on the header it is more trouble than it is worth. Just keep trying with the tire iron!

16: Rest and get a beer after you install the EGR successfully! Everything after that is a cake walk!

17: Reinstall the intake tube to the throttle body. Reinstall the 8mm bolt that holds the filter housing to the fender. Also tighten up the 8mm hose clamp holding the intake to the throttle body.

18: Reinstall the shaker bracket and put the four 8mm bolts back that hold the bracket to the intake lid. Don't tighten them down because you need them loose so you can move your shaker around and get it where you want it.

19: Reinstall the shaker to the shaker bracket. Close the hood barely so you can see where you want your shaker. Move it around to where you want it then raise the hood and take the shaker back off and then tighten down the 4 bolts holding the shaker bracket to the intake lid.

20: Reinstall the shaker and put the two 10mm bolts on each side of the shaker back in. Hook the shaker tube back up to the filter housing and then hook up the battery and take her for a ride!!!!

I can't say enough on how much better the shaker looks with the hood closed now that it is raised 1/2"!

Hope this helps some people out with the install. Go with the 1/2" spacer guys, its really not hard at all to install! Just follow the 20 steps above and you will have no problems. If you run into anything feel free to send me a PM and I will help you out as much as I can.

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Lonestar7

Cool Re: How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer

It’s also a good idea to replace the EGR gasket it’s cheap about 3 dollars and that way you should get no SES light due to vacuum leak.

LS
Lonestar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Stopsign32v

Re: How to: Install 1/2" intake spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar7 View Post
It’s also a good idea to replace the EGR gasket it’s cheap about 3 dollars and that way you should get no SES light due to vacuum leak.

LS
This is true. However I had the car up in the air before I thought about it. Plus the gasket is not a paper one so it CAN be reused. I did and there is no leaks or lights that came on. Is it a good idea to change it? Sure.

7.76@87.8mph
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Gameboy_J

Thanks man!

I vote for sticky!
  • JLT Ram Air Intake
  • 1/2" Intake Spacer
  • Maximum Motorsports Rear LCA's
  • Xcal3 w/ dyno tune
  • FRPP 4.10 gears
  • Moser Forged Axles
  • FFRP Aluminum DS
  • SLP line lock
  • 8000k Bi-xenon HID's w/matching fogs
  • MGW short throw
  • Fidanza Billet alum. flywheel
  • Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
  • MM 4 bolt c/c plates
  • BBK Ceramic Coated LT's
  • BBK o/r H pipe
  • Mac SS cat-back
Gameboy_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
04azuremach
Loud, fast and fun

The directions make it seem like a longer job than it is. It's really a piece of cake. I can do it with my eyes closed in 15 minutes.
04azuremach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Stopsign32v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04azuremach View Post
The directions make it seem like a longer job than it is. It's really a piece of cake. I can do it with my eyes closed in 15 minutes.
I agree however not everyone turns wrenches alot.

7.76@87.8mph
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
wcjr

good write up!
wcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
one mach 1
Pro-gun Conservative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjr View Post
good write up!
Lets make this one a sticky!! Good write up!!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
UIN2IT
Doug aka "TK"

What's the benefit of going with a 1/2" vsa 3/8" spacer?

Why would you need to go 7/8" like some have or even 1"?
what'sthe install differencs in these?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is which size I shoukld go with. I have pm'ed Roy but have not heard back yet. Very interested in this! What's the cost from ROY?
3.5" Rolled Tips ~ '03 Cobra IRS ~ H&R/Eibach springs w/Bilstiens ~ FRPP 4.10 gears
Mac Pro-Chamber ~ Hurst Short Throw Shifter ~ '01 Cobra Bumper w/Mach Chin spoiler

WISH LIST:Full Length SFC's // 4pc March Pulleys // Ported Intake Manifold // Custom grind Cams
UIN2IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Look here:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...1&postcount=28

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...691#post915691
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Roy

Nice! Thanks.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Sublimemach
2013 5.0

very nice write up.. i could have used this a few months ago lol.

Cars owned:
2016 guard green 5.0 bagged on copper rovos DAILY
2004 manual CO Mach 1 SOLD
2013 Perf. white A6 5.0, recaro's, full exhaust
2004 CO auto Mach 1.bagged. full bolt on, full exhaust, Slammed & Cammed! 341/310 WEEKEND CAR
2001 Mineral Grey GT. few bolt ons. WRECKED
1998 Laser Red V6. wheels and exhaust. SOLD
Sublimemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Thom

If you go to all the trouble removeing the EGR, Whould it not be better to block it off?
4.10 rear
Drilled and Slotted Disc
QA1 K-Member
QA1 struts & Coil overs
3 point front tower brace
QA1 coil overs and shocks
Rear tower Brace
TWIN TURBOS
cobra fuel tank
duel fuel pumps
Line lock
Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon fiber cowl
9" front & 10 1/2 rear Mach-1 17" rims
COBRA White dash gauges
PLUS - (Phantom) Exhaust Temp - Wide Band O2 - Volt - Boost - Fuel Pressre GAUGES
14" Carbon Fiber Steer Wheel
rear seat delete
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
305HP

then how do you pass an emissions check?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
JasonARGY

After reading all the threads, I am assuming then that the best spacer for an everyday car is the 1/2in. but still dont really know how a bigger spacer would affect its casual driveability. Awesome writeup BTW, will most likely use it here in a few days.
JasonARGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonARGY View Post
After reading all the threads, I am assuming then that the best spacer for an everyday car is the 1/2in. but still dont really know how a bigger spacer would affect its casual driveability. Awesome writeup BTW, will most likely use it here in a few days.
No negative effects at all. Get it.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP View Post
No negative effects at all. Get it.
I disagree.

You'll need to get tires sooner from plantin' yourself into your seat from all the SOTP TQ you gain.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

I'm sure the directions are making it sound harder than it is but as someone with zero car work experience barring a short throw shifter, is this easily done? Just some bolts and hoses?
TRmachwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
nasty04mach1
FOR SALE!!!

Im putting mine this weekend. Wish me luck
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #20
Stopsign32v

I haven't been on here in so long. But I'm glad I could help you guys out that are installing the spacer. Its such a simple install just takes some time. You cannot be in a rush. I'm suprised this hasn't been a sticky.

7.76@87.8mph
Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
nasty04mach1
FOR SALE!!!

I just put on the 3/8" spacer from Roy and my question is...Will the cars RPM's change. Mine are hanging up and coming down slower and it seems to idle a little rougher and louder than before I installed it.

Also, after I installed the spacer I let the run for a few mins to make sure everything seemed ok. Then I installed the IAC and it seemed to help a little. Is that normal?? Will an auto repsond to it differently than a 5 speed. I have a 5 Speed.

Thanks in advance,

-Brandon-
Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
Stopsign32v

My guess is a vaccum leak somewhere. Installing the spacer should do nothing to how the car idles and drives other than alittle more torque.

7.76@87.8mph
Old 04-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
GroverDill

Great write up, helped me thru the install today. Took me over and hour though (old and slow).

Thanks for the write up!
GroverDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #24
Tarball
Learning slowly....

Great write up!

Think its worth moving from 3/8 to 1/2?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
GroverDill

I would not waste the time, effort, or money to go from 3/8" to 1/2" spacer.
GroverDill is offline   Reply With Quote