2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
boostme

Steering rack creeking?

I'm trying to diagnose this creek and would like to know if anyone who for sure had it could tell me something. Did your creek temporarily stop when it rained? I've noticed that when it rains the creeking goes away. I'm not sure if the parts that are worn or rubbing are getting wet thus deleting this. I've lubed, greased, tightened everything I could see down there, still creeking. I can't imagined that I am missing something and the rain is getting it. Sorry for the long post, any help would be great.
Black 2002 GT: Proturbokit @8#'s, 430rwhp 505rwtq. MM coilovers with Bilstein struts, MM cc plates and subframes, Tri-ax, Greddy Profec b ebc, SLP LM1 catback, 03 Cobra front bumper, s281 wing, 00 Cobra R hood, Tubular A arms and K member, FX-R
bi-xenon retrofitted HID's, Blazer retrofitted HID foglights
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
bluoval

Re: Steering rack creeking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
I'm trying to diagnose this creek and would like to know if anyone who for sure had it could tell me something. Did your creek temporarily stop when it rained? I've noticed that when it rains the creeking goes away. I'm not sure if the parts that are worn or rubbing are getting wet thus deleting this. I've lubed, greased, tightened everything I could see down there, still creeking. I can't imagined that I am missing something and the rain is getting it. Sorry for the long post, any help would be great.
I think there was a TSB/recall issued to correct "creaking" steering racks
on the '04's....

I also know the front struts creak (on my Mach) from time to time when backing out of my steep driveway.....
bluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
j rick kirby

The way the dealership will try to fix the creaking rack is to hammer the nuts on with an air gun.This may stop it for a while.But what happens is that that big washer on the front gets crushed against the sleeve and that rubbing is what causes the noise.Sooooo get some poly bushings and torque to spec which I think is 35 lbs and your creaking rack problem is gone.Your steering will also be more precise with no increase in NVH.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
boostme

Thanks guys. I know about the TSB for the steering creek, I was just trying to see if that is what mine is since it stops when it rains. I guess I will just switch out the bushings and see what happens. Thanks.
Black 2002 GT: Proturbokit @8#'s, 430rwhp 505rwtq. MM coilovers with Bilstein struts, MM cc plates and subframes, Tri-ax, Greddy Profec b ebc, SLP LM1 catback, 03 Cobra front bumper, s281 wing, 00 Cobra R hood, Tubular A arms and K member, FX-R
bi-xenon retrofitted HID's, Blazer retrofitted HID foglights
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Nor Cal Mach
Mach-O-Haulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
I think there was a TSB/recall issued to correct "creaking" steering racks
on the '04's....

I also know the front struts creak (on my Mach) from time to time when backing out of my steep driveway.....
Got that same problem but mine is everytime I turn it squeeks. Time for new shocks and struts
Nor Cal Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
j rick kirby

Might not be struts.There is a TSB for control arms.Had mine replaced due to creaking/squeaking.Make sure they don't install GT pieces.They did on mine and when I caught it they got to change them again.
HPDE Instructor
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Nor Cal Mach
Mach-O-Haulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
Might not be struts.There is a TSB for control arms.Had mine replaced due to creaking/squeaking.Make sure they don't install GT pieces.They did on mine and when I caught it they got to change them again.
What would one have to take with them to the dealership to get that fixed?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Mach View Post
What would one have to take with them to the dealership to get that fixed?
I would think that taking the car would be a good place to start.Sorry,I couldn't help it.
HPDE Instructor
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Nor Cal Mach
Mach-O-Haulic

I also think it would be a great idea if I knew what to take with me otherwise I'm buyn new shocks and struts
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
j rick kirby

Quote:
I also think it would be a great idea if I knew what to take with me otherwise I'm buyn new shocks and struts
I think we are experiencing a comm error.Take your car to the Stealership and tell them about the noise and tell them that there is a TSB on the front control arms making noise and you think that maybe that's where the noise is coming from.When the suspension compresses and rebounds it makes the noise which makes alot of people thing it's the struts.When does yours make the noise?
HPDE Instructor
Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Nor Cal Mach
Mach-O-Haulic

Quote:
I think we are experiencing a comm error.Take your car to the Stealership and tell them about the noise and tell them that there is a TSB on the front control arms making noise and you think that maybe that's where the noise is coming from.When the suspension compresses and rebounds it makes the noise which makes alot of people thing it's the struts.When does yours make the noise?
Mine does it when the wheel is turned when backing up usually. Even when I get out of the car it will make it since the car rocks when someone gets in or out of it. I think your right its when they are compressed.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
j rick kirby

Good chance it's the CAs.
HPDE Instructor
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Nor Cal Mach
Mach-O-Haulic

Quote:
Good chance it's the CAs.
I'll take it in and have them take a look. If it still makes noise after new shocks and struts for my poney
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
eatonmach1

My car done this when I got it. It it the rack mount metal busings. If you look under the car you will see what I am talking about. Does it make a tick or tock sound like metal? They are about $20 at ford. Took me about three weeks to figure it out.

3.73's PRO 50 Shifter,
Aluminum Driveshaft

2003 Ox White Cobra

3.2 Pulley
Pro 50 Shifter
Sticky Nittos
What else do ya need :ORANGE:
eatonmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
j rick kirby

Quote:
I'll take it in and have them take a look. If it still makes noise after new shocks and struts for my poney
Sounds like you're gonna get some new shocks no matter what.What kind havw you settled on?
HPDE Instructor
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
Macho 1
Moose Magnet

Could be a ball joint. Mine went bad. Squeeled like a pig everytime I turned the wheel or hit a bump. Was qute embarrassing.
K&N CAI, Steeda 2pt strut brace, Sport Springs, U&L Rear CA, & Tri-ax Shifter, SS Brakelines, X2 Balljoints and Adj Tie rods. Fiore Quadrant & MM CC Plates, HD Bilsteins, Roy's 1/2" spacer, XCal2, 17"x9" wheels, Bassani catted X,
Magnaflow Catback

RWHP: 285 @5100, FWTQ: 351@4300, FWHP 335@6100
Macho 1 is offline   Reply With Quote