2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
04dsgMACHONE

girdles

So far I have the 4.30s and 31 spline differential, so now I just need a girdle, axles, and bearing kit.

I'm just curious what exactly I benefit from getting a girdle and if it's really worth the 150-200 dollars I'd spend on one. The Mach won't see the track much or anything.

If I should go ahead and get one any suggestions on a brand? Or do they all do pretty much the same thing?
MGW STS, JLT RAI, PHP 3/8" Intake spacer, Bassani catted x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, FRPP (Motive) 4.30s, 31 Spline Cobra Differential, 31 Spline Moser Axles, GMS Girdle, H&R Super Sports, Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks/struts, MM caster/camber plates
04dsgMACHONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
JaybTorchedMach

Re: girdles

It's lighter and dissipates heat more efficiently giving your bearings and gears a longer life. And it just looks good Can't go wrong with FRPP but some people have spoken well of TA Performance. And don't forget the welded axel tubes to finish off that rear end build.
JaybTorchedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
04dsgMACHONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach View Post
It's lighter and dissipates heat more efficiently giving your bearings and gears a longer life. And it just looks good Can't go wrong with FRPP but some people have spoken well of TA Performance. And don't forget the welded axel tubes to finish off that rear end build.
Are welded axle tubes something I should tell the guy installing them to do or do I need to buy something else? Do I really need to spend extra on that since I won't be launching on slicks or anything?

Thanks for your help.
MGW STS, JLT RAI, PHP 3/8" Intake spacer, Bassani catted x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, FRPP (Motive) 4.30s, 31 Spline Cobra Differential, 31 Spline Moser Axles, GMS Girdle, H&R Super Sports, Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks/struts, MM caster/camber plates
Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
NJ 03Mach1
IRS Conversion

Can't go wrong with a Fore piece...

And the super sexy IRS cover which I'm the proud owner of
PHA #281
Mods: Anything ESP legal from Maximum Motorsports
Hill Climb Videos
Become a Hillclimber!
MM&FF Feature Top of the Rock!
NJ 03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
jcooper0818
i bet my car is faster...

that fiore piece is crazy expensive though...i went with the TA one off ebay and the ARP bolts package he offers...looks quality to me
IUP
Typical Bolt Ons
296hp/331tq?? on MustangDyno??
Best Time:12.83@106 1.72 60ft
jcooper0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
R-code17815
The MODfather #7046

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dsgMACHONE View Post
Are welded axle tubes something I should tell the guy installing them to do or do I need to buy something else? Do I really need to spend extra on that since I won't be launching on slicks or anything?

Thanks for your help.
They should have been welded from the factory, the welding is straight forward, no extra parts needed.

Since your spending the coin on rebuilding the whole rear, a little insurance(girdle) for under 200 dollars is well worth it.

Might not be 100% needed but it's 100% recommended!
The never ending "Work in Progress"

RTCTTFMF
R-code17815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
04dsgMACHONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-code17815 View Post
They should have been welded from the factory, the welding is straight forward, no extra parts needed.

Since your spending the coin on rebuilding the whole rear, a little insurance(girdle) for under 200 dollars is well worth it.

So just tell the installer to weld the axle tubes?

I'll be sure to pick one up though thanks for all the help!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
04dsgMACHONE

Do yall think this one will be ok?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-79...le-system.html

or should I just go ahead and spend the extra on an FRPP.

With AM I'll get a slight discount, free shipping, plus it's cheaper but if it's worth the difference for the FRPP I'll get that one.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
bdmach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-code17815 View Post

The axle tubes are not 100% welded from the factory, they are plug welded where the tubes are slid into the cast iron housing. If you are not planning on racing the car hard then it is not necessary. Also if someone is going to weld the axle tubes, the proper way to do it is weld them while the axle housing is in a jig. If you weld on the axle tubes without it being in a jig, you run the risk of putting too much heat in the axle assy. and warping the axle tubes. If that happens, you will more than likely wipe out some axle bearings...Hope this helps!

Bob
bdmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
bdmach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach View Post
The other main point of going with a after market girdle is so you can put a lil preload on the diff caps. When you launch a car hard, it is trying to shove the diff out the back of the housing. Those bolts are there to give support to the caps.

Bob
bdmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
WNTAMACH1
WNTAMACH1

Glad I read this, I learned some valuable stuff. You can find FRPP Girdle for $149.

2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Auto- 421/406 SOLD

2013 Ford Taurus SHO PP - Daily Driver
WNTAMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote