2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Iceman
So. Florida Machin

OMG my brain is fried!

ok i just spent like 3 hours reading post on drag wheels. IM so confused its not funny. it seems like everyone does something different to achieve the same goal. will someone plaease tell me what i need to do to achieve my goal. ok what i want to do is use the weld prostar 15x8 and 15x4 (with 26x10.5 et street ,and i dunno what size for the front skinnies)now all i want to know is what backspacing I should use for the front and rear,(so they dont stick out) what spacers in the front so i can still use my stock rims and so they dont stick out and are tucked in or at least flush with the fenders. for the spacers i woldnt mind paying for the one that have the studs pressed on them as long as i could take them off so i could bolt the stock rims onto the stock studs. oh and the last thin i would really not like to have to grind or file any thin and im keeping the mach calipers. so preety much what spacers and back spacing should i get so i the tires are tucked in or at least flush and i dont have to do any grinding or as little as possible.

Boss 330 short block
procharger , cams ect...
666.4rwhp 558 rwtq
its got all the goodies!

"REAL STREET PERFORMANCE"
For all your mustang performance needs
Orlando ,Florida (407) 695 0699
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Jester
Super Moderator

Re: OMG my brain is fried!

I could be wrong, but unless you go with Bogart wheels you will have to do some grinding on the rear calipers if you don't use wheel spacers. I have 15x8 Prostars with a 5.5" backspacing and I had to grind quite a bit. No big deal to grind the calipers...

Up front I used a 1" spacer with 15" Prostars...NO grinding. :THUMBSUP:

2004 Silver Metallic Cobra
2.3 Whipple - 60lb injectors -Twin FGT Pumps
8 gauge/BAP/FPDM - JLT - Bassani Catted X / Catback - SCT PRP - 4# Lower - 3.50/3.00 Uppers - 19/24 PSI

2017 White Shelby F150
2.9L Whipple

Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
QTRPONY
Official ls1gto.com Troll

Fried!!! Just think if you had to figure this out on your own.

Ok here is what I know from my trials and errors on this:

FRONT: Prostars are 15X3.5 with a back spacing of 1.75 (I think?)
No grinding with a 1 in spacer for me. BUT!!!! I went with ones from MM that bolt up to factory hub and have pressed in studs for wheels. (actually I think they are made by Eibach if I recall correctly) and I had issues. Nothing major if you know ahead of time but it sucked trying to figure it out. If you go that route here is what you need to know:
1. You will need to grind you factory studs about an 1/8th in to make the spacers fit flush. No big deal and will not be an issue when you put the stockers back on.
2. The studs that come on the spacers will not be NHRA legal. You will need to have those pushed out and longer ones pressed in. May not be the case with other wheels but will be with prostars. Somewhere I may have the part number for the right studs-the knurl was different then the factory studs but the knurl is not that uncommon and you should be able to find the right studs.

BACK: I think you are looking for 15X8s with a 5.5 BS but somebody else needs to confirm that. (I am running 15X10's with 6.5)

As far as the brakes. I intially went into it planning on grinding BUT when we bolted it up I changed my mind. I was going to have to grind quite a bit-so much that it would make me have doubts and consider that it might result in brake failure at some point so I went with GT rotors.

You said you wanted to keep the Mach calipers-did you mean you want to keep the Mach brakes intact?

If that is the case you may not want to do this but basically I went with the smaller GT rotors still using the Mach calipers. The GT rotors are only about an inch smaller in diameter (not sure of exact spec) and if you consider that about 80% of the braking is done in the front and 20% in the rear losing 10% of your rear braking surface is not that much. My guess is you will only lose 3-4% in overall braking at most. I fyou are into road racing it might be a factor but if you are running prostars I am guessing you plan on doing straight line so smaller rear rotors is no big deal.

I chose to have an intact brake system that may be 3-4% less than stock rather than grind the caliper and banjo bolt and risk failure that way.

As far as appearance check out pics in this thread for front pics. Like I said I am running 15X10's on the back so you can't go by those. (Scroll down to posts 8, 9, & 10.)

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=48480
QTRPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
QTRPONY

Not sure if you came across this or not but here is some more info:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...light=prostars

Also, fronts tires are cheap. 165\15's work. I think they are for VW's.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
QTRPONY

More info and pics:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...light=prostars