2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
1MEANSTANG

Could I have hurt my motor? Hit 2nd by acciden

Ok, so today I was driving on I95... doing about 75mph.. All of a sudden traffic was coming to a hault quickly. So when I tried to downshift to 4th I accidentally hit 2nd gear instead. I don't know how I did this. Maybe not paying attention or just to much strength. But my rpm's sky rocketed to like 7500rpm or more instantly. It scared the **** out of me.. I'm not even sure if the rev limiter kicked in.. My question is, could there have been any damage that could of occured from this?? Like spinning a rod bearing etc. Knock on wood the car sounds fine and drives fine still with no noises. I know these mod motors can handle quite a bit. I was just worried and curious also long tem effects. After this happened i did power shift it a couple of times and no problems. It's not everyday I beat on the car. Thanks for the input..
1MEANSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
AzureMach03

Re: Could I have hurt my motor? Hit 2nd by acciden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANSTANG View Post
Ok, so today I was driving on I95... doing about 75mph.. All of a sudden traffic was coming to a hault quickly. So when I tried to downshift to 4th I accidentally hit 2nd gear instead. I don't know how I did this. Maybe not paying attention or just to much strength. But my rpm's sky rocketed to like 7500rpm or more instantly. It scared the **** out of me.. I'm not even sure if the rev limiter kicked in.. My question is, could there have been any damage that could of occured from this?? Like spinning a rod bearing etc. Knock on wood the car sounds fine and drives fine still with no noises. I know these mod motors can handle quite a bit. I was just worried and curious also long tem effects. After this happened i did power shift it a couple of times and no problems. It's not everyday I beat on the car. Thanks for the input..
If you have 3.55's you should be able to do 70 in 2nd so if you slowed down at all you prob didnt rev it as high as you think. It should be fine as long as you dont notice anything...

03 Black Mach- Sold
00 Lightning- Sold
03 AB Mach- Sold
AzureMach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
1MEANSTANG

Yeah I know from starting in 1st and power shifting I would be at 70 in 2nd, but when already at 70 and slowing down from 5th to 2nd. It was a big drop and kick in the pants. And unfortunately I saw the rpms. They were between 7000 and 8000.. Stock gears as well..
Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
blk 04 mach 1

Man 195 can be such a pain in the *** sometimes....
blk 04 mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
swoop1156
Parked again...

I think that you're fine. If anything, I think the drastic gear change and engine torque would've locked up the rear and maybe saved the engine any super detrimental wear. I've gone 6 --> 2 in my old SVT Focus and swear I pegged like, 9,000,000 RPM's for 0.2 seconds. It was perfectly fine.

Mach #238576
Modifications | Borla Stinger's | Painted C&L Intake | 15% Tint | Powdercoated Valve Covers | '01 Cobra Tails | '04 Cobra Mirrors | '01 Cobra Bumper | '01 Bullitt Skirts | FR500 Steering Wheel | MGW Shifter | 3/8" Spacer | IAC Restrictor | 17x9/10.5 Mach's | 275/315 Vredestein's | MM Subframe Connectors | Tokico D-Spec's | MM 4-Bolt C/C Plates | H&R Super Sport's |
Build Number | #6935 of 7182
swoop1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Some people do this maneuver intentionally to pass slow cars lol.

I'm pretty sure your Mach is fine, the 3650 is a tough cookie and the motor is even tougher.

Besides being scared it must have impressed you how much power was sitting there when you let the clutch go lol.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold
2001 Mustang- Forest Green-Sold
Disabled Veteran United States Air Force. Hoorah Air Force!
LineageMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
FastBlueMach1
Crewchief

you wouldnt hit the rev limiter if you went into too low of a gear. did your tires lock up? you probably over reved if you didnt catch it in time. hope it didnt damage anything

BBK 65mm TB
SCT x3
Kooks LT, o/r X Mac Catback
PSR K w/ D Spec coilovers
2000 Cobra R brakes
275/40/17 F1GSD3
315/35/17 F1GSD3
FR500 wheels 17x9, 17x10.5
Amsoil engine and tranny
4.10 gears
ACT 14.3 lb flywheel
SPEC clutch
FRPP driveshaft
C&L full intake w/85mm maf
MGW shifter
NGK TR55ix
319HP 333TQ at the wheels
H&K USP compact .40S&W
FastBlueMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
1MEANSTANG

Actually the rear end and tires did not lock up. Even thought the rpm's were so high. Felt more like the tires were spinning. I might have pushed the clutch back in quickly. But I know it was passed redline.. When does the rev limiter kick in on our cars? Mine is not turned off. Also I was not aware if we drastically shift into too low of a gear the rev limiter does not kick in? I was just hoping no long term damage might have occured. Like I said I drove it home and back do Daytona that same night about another 60 miles and ran it all day yesterday. Seems to be fine. Just was worried. This car is my baby.. As you all know...Thanks for the responses..
Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
UrbanKnight

Highly doubt there is any harm, especially if the car is stock...

And if you are not running an aftermarket tach, the factory ones are way off anyway, so you likely did not rev as high as it indicated....
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
MUSCLEMUSTANG65

I dont know how to word this too well so help me out, But if you hit too low of a gear it overrides the rev limiter and makes it rev past redline. I did the same thing to my old gt ,5th-3rd, reved to abour 7,500, and never had any problems out of it even when i sold it with 130,000 miles
Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
oxfordwhitemach

The rev-limiter cuts fuel. It can't do anything when you downshift too low, as the tires are turning the engine, not the other way around. Bent valves typically result from over-revving an engine, but it sounds like you are fine if you aren't hearing any funny noises.

My brother did something similar in his '04 GTO. He ran it up in second, went to hit third, but ended up in first. The tires locked up but he managed to get the clutch in before any damage was caused.
oxfordwhitemach is offline   Reply With Quote