2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Macho 1
Moose Magnet

Bump steer setting

My ball joint needed replaced so I went with Steeda's X2s and I installed the bump steer kit as well. What a difference? The steering is soooo much quicker and responsive. My issues is I know the bumpsteer is not correct cause I can feel it. I have an appt to get an alignment and fix the bumpsteer but I am paying by the hour so I would like to get it close before hand to reduce the time on the lift.

I have Steeda Sport springs with poly isolators installed, MM CC plates, X2 balljoints. Steering rack bushings are not offset.

So my question is, with the mods listed, how should I set the bump steer kit? Right now I have it set in the middle.

Also, when I installed the new left balljoint, it could be slid in by hand without a press. Is this dangerous?
K&N CAI, Steeda 2pt strut brace, Sport Springs, U&L Rear CA, & Tri-ax Shifter, SS Brakelines, X2 Balljoints and Adj Tie rods. Fiore Quadrant & MM CC Plates, HD Bilsteins, Roy's 1/2" spacer, XCal2, 17"x9" wheels, Bassani catted X,
Magnaflow Catback

RWHP: 285 @5100, FWTQ: 351@4300, FWHP 335@6100
Macho 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Charles236

Re: Bump steer setting

I would replace the lower control arm if a ball joint could be slid in by hand, they are press fit from the factory and normally pretty aggravating to remove or install without a ball joint press. Sometimes they are aggravating even with a press. As for the bump steer settings, you will have to determine the amount of spacers needed by actually working the front suspension through it full working range and measuring the bumpsteer. There should be detailed directions with the bumpsteer kit, if not, look online for a how to write up.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Macho 1
Moose Magnet

Re: Bump steer setting

Thanks for the reply. I was worried about having to buy a new control arm. The old BJ needed to be pressed out.

I know the procedure for how to determine and fix the bumpsteer. I was just trying to see where others with my setup have set theirs to get it in the ballpark to make it go faster.
K&N CAI, Steeda 2pt strut brace, Sport Springs, U&L Rear CA, & Tri-ax Shifter, SS Brakelines, X2 Balljoints and Adj Tie rods. Fiore Quadrant & MM CC Plates, HD Bilsteins, Roy's 1/2" spacer, XCal2, 17"x9" wheels, Bassani catted X,
Magnaflow Catback

RWHP: 285 @5100, FWTQ: 351@4300, FWHP 335@6100
Macho 1 is offline   Reply With Quote