2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Black Widow

Traction Control Button

OK this might sound dumb but I am dumb and confused. When the light is off is my traction control on or off ? Thanks
2003 Black Mach 1 stock motor with 11,000 miles. Bassani cat x-pipe and Borla Stingers catback. 18 inch Black Saleen Style Wheels with G-Force TA's, 265 35's front and 295 35's rear,Cobra rear spoiler, HR Super Sport springs, caster/camber plates, subframe connectors. Tinted front and back lights and black 40th Ann. emblems.
Black Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
XB70

Re: Traction Control Button

When you start the car, the traction control defaults to the ON position. If I remember correctly,the light comes on when you turn TC off. (I hardly look - I start the car and push the button - it's become a reflex.)
XB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
1fast03mach

XB70 is correct.
JLT RAI:
PHP SPACER:
390 GEARS:
X CAL II W/CUSTOM TUNE:
WHEELS CHROME BULLITTS:
18X9 275/35 18X10 295/35:
(MM SUSPENSION MODS):
BILSTEIN HD STRUTS/SHOCKS:
350#FRONT COILOVERS:
CASTER/CAMBER PLATES:
FRONT LCA:
SWAYBAR END LINKS:
STEERING RACK BUSHINGS:
K MEMBER BRACE:
REAR HD ADJUSTABLE LCA:
TORQUE ARM:
PANHARD BAR:
TROQUE ARM SPRINGS 370-440#"S:
SUBFRAME CONNECTORS:
1fast03mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Unrealford
Mustang owner since 1984

Yes, when light is ON the traction control is disabled, I have mine turned off with Diablo Tuner
http://www.dragzine.com/news/moms-ra...2013-schedule/
Unrealford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
MACH1RAMAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealford View Post
Yes, when light is ON the traction control is disabled, I have mine turned off with Diablo Tuner
Me too
But before I disabled it to off with the Diablo tuner I started it and automatically pushed the button off.
Bill
born; 10/06/2003- #328 of 7182 & 1 of 1039 Comp Orange
vin; 1FAFP42R14F134291
Mods; catted MRT H pipe, Magnaflow catback, C&L cai tube, PHP spacer, UPR upper/lower control arms, 35 % tint, Alum. drive shaft, AUBURN posi, Moser 31 spline axles, Richmond 410 ring & pinion, NT05R 275/40/17 drag radials, Diablo tuned, Dyno tuned by Johnny Lightning Dynoed at; 270 Hp 302 torque.
9/26/07 13.07 / 106.00 MPH BFG's
6/08 12.97et / 107mph
5/12/2010 13.00 et
MACH1RAMAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

light on traction off.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Black Widow

Ok last dumb question. What are the big diffrences with it on? Does the car grab the road better when your going around corners? And what about full throttle straightaways? Thanks guys this is my first car that has this traction control feature.
2003 Black Mach 1 stock motor with 11,000 miles. Bassani cat x-pipe and Borla Stingers catback. 18 inch Black Saleen Style Wheels with G-Force TA's, 265 35's front and 295 35's rear,Cobra rear spoiler, HR Super Sport springs, caster/camber plates, subframe connectors. Tinted front and back lights and black 40th Ann. emblems.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
White2003Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Widow View Post
Ok last dumb question. What are the big differences with it on? Does the car grab the road better when your going around corners? And what about full throttle straightaways? Thanks guys this is my first car that has this traction control feature.
what happens with the TC "on" (light off) is if/when your rear tires break traction, the TC shuts off fuel and the motor kinda stalls, reducing any wheel spin, then it'll restore fuel and motor will resume running normal
it doesn't matter whether your going straight or turning
sometimes it'll put you in a precocious position(merging with heavy traffic, crossing traffic )
i normally turn mine "off" (light on) during most driving except when it's raining

'03 white Mach1-- born date 3/31/03
serial # 3243
bought on 4/19/03
personalized tag "MYSTANG"
White2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White2003Mach1 View Post
what happens with the TC "on" (light off) is if/when your rear tires break traction, the TC shuts off fuel and the motor kinda stalls, reducing any wheel spin, then it'll restore fuel and motor will resume running normal
it doesn't matter whether your going straight or turning
sometimes it'll put you in a precocious position(merging with heavy traffic, crossing traffic )
i normally turn mine "off" (light on) during most driving except when it's raining

The bold above is a great reason to disable it with a tune(r) or turn it off. It nearly got me in a jam the other day when I pulled out on the highway and an Azzclown changed into my lane. The road was dry but it kicked in as I pushed down on the gas hard. I was almost rearended by a Hummer.

Probably a better way to look at it is:

Light off - the system is armed (or a slim chance of the light being failed)
Light on - the system is disabled

Light off with the green symbol on the cluster illuminated - means the system is engaged at some level.

OP - I would recommend you see how you like what it does by finding an open and legal place to test it. I used a large paved area at work while it was raining to play with it. I didn't like it because it eliminates the throttle as a tool for getting the car back under control.

FYI - this is not like the traction control system hidden in Jimmie Johnson's race car.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
japan4racing
not builted

i really hated it when my traction control was on....turning it off was the best thing i ever did. they put this on these cars for ppl that get scared when the car loses traction. instead of modulating throttle and counter steering to correct the attitude of the car they these type of ppl give up and hope for the best. killing all throttle control durning a spin or loss of traction is the same thing as giving up and hoping for the best for those of us that know how to drive.
2004 Torch Red Mach 1 - C&L cai, Kooks longtubes, Kooks o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Roy's 1/2" spacer, FRPP aluminum d/s, FRPP 4.10's, FRPP billet F/W, Ram HDX, MGW orange handle, H&R Super Sports
japan4racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Black Widow

Thanks alot guys all your feedback on this matter has been very helpfull. I will make sure I push that button everytime I start up.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Black Widow

The other day I punched it in 2nd gear and it kicked in and stalled the motor similar to when you hit the rev limiter. Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
highfigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Widow View Post
The other day I punched it in 2nd gear and it kicked in and stalled the motor similar to when you hit the rev limiter. Thanks
Yea. It really sucks when u just got your Mach, take it over to a buddy's house, then when your leaving he tells you to light it up. Sooo.... u drop the clutch and bury the go pedal into the carpet, only to have it go into an epilleptic fit as it fights the spin and the engine chokes the power.

Then u drive away thinking WTF just happened? And your friend gives you the thumbs up, but with his facial expression he's thinking,... WTF just happened?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

i know the answer has been already givin but another test you can do is push the button and roast the tires, if it stalls you out then the light should be off, if it lets you keep on going the light should be on.
sorry just putting my 2cents in
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
XB70

Quote:
Originally Posted by White2003Mach1 View Post
sometimes it'll put you in a precocious position
precocious - mature at an early age

precarious - dependent on chance or circumstance

It is really that difficult?
XB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
spanky192

i never turn my traction control off. it barely ever activates either. maybe once or twice during the rainy season in which case it actually helped. if you guys are constantly activating your traction control you might wanna check how you drive. learn better accelerator and/or clutch control.

and if i recall correctly the button says "trac off" so it indicates when traction control is off.
spanky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
SpeedofSoundN2O
Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky192 View Post
i never turn my traction control off. it barely ever activates either. maybe once or twice during the rainy season in which case it actually helped. if you guys are constantly activating your traction control you might wanna check how you drive. learn better accelerator and/or clutch control.

and if i recall correctly the button says "trac off" so it indicates when traction control is off.
so what are you saying? that people who's traction control kicks in means they cannot drive or they need to learn how to drive better, like you? your statement is pretty asinine!!
fact is, people who know how to drive know that even in stock form, you have better control over the car with traction control off!! the fact that you do not ever have it kick in tells me you YOU are the only one here that needs to learn to redrive your Mach!! or buy something slower to put you dvd player and ps2 in, since you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT know how to use the power your BONE STOCK Mach has!! because in bone stock form, i along with many others got caught in a hairy situation crossing traffic also, traction control kicked in and i about came to a stop in the traffic path....that was the first day i bought my Mach...ever since it has been turned off. now all the tunes i write, i disable it ALWAYS!!!!
now look, if you want to drive like a grandma, then that is fine, but do not compare the way you drive with the way others should drive!! have you been in the 11's yet? have you even been in the 12's yet?...LMFAO...how about the 13's??????? answer is NO!! so do not come in here telling these guys they need to learn to drive!!

man, you tried spewing the same BS about a Mach when you got to Guam...yeah, thats right I KNOW EXACTLY WHO YOU ARE, AS YOU SHOULD ME!! only when you got to Guam you thought and talked like no one else had a Mach and had no clue about them, so you could tell your stories about your badd *** Mach back in CA that was the sh!t, until you found out the hard way that in fact there was ALREADY a Mach on Guam and people already knew more than you!! therefore, you caused quite a laugh amongst the Guam car enthusiasts!!

my advise to you...IS SHUT UP AND LEARN. then have a mod delete this post so you do not get butt hurt in public and then edit your own post as to not sound like a condescending little puke face!!

have a nice day spanky

2008 Vista Blue Shelby GT500....lots of mods

2003 TR-Mach 1, 6 speed...too many mods to be slow, too much money spent to be fast! -SOLD but will forever be remembered!

"People say you can abuse marijuana. You can abuse cheeseburgers. Does that mean we should close Burger Kings." – Joe Rogan
SpeedofSoundN2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
spanky192

listen man. i thought this was squashed. i made one joke on a forum and now you are gonna haunt me for life? i was never went around guam forums saying i was the hottest ****. i made one playful joke and you are all crazy about it. that was 4 years ago! i knew there was another mach on guam. i was the one that contacted you first because i saw where you were located from your profile in another mustang forum. i knew what mods you had and i know my stock mach isnt **** against it. honestly i dont care. my car to this day barely has any mods on it. i couldnt care less if it runs 12s or 11s. i've never taken it to the track and i dont ever plan to. i dont race period! this has been my only car for the past 2 years and i dont usually take it over 4k rpms. does that mean im driving my car wrong? i drive through southern california traffic daily and get through it without a scratch. all without worrying about traction control. i must be a total idiot driver if i think i should try my best to maintain positive traction control on public roads with other cars around me all the time. what an idiot i must be

you know what. i dont even care about explaining myself anymore. grow up. im pretty sure you are much older than i am and you need to start acting like it. why cant you just learn to ignore me if you think im so freakin stupid. real mature to harass some kid you dont even know on the internet. why the heck do you know so much about me anyways? stop internet stalking and get a life
spanky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #19
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

basic man most of the guys that own muscle cars, prob 90% or even more go to the track or do some sort of racing, most guys don't just slow drive there mach, i take great care of my mach, but i also got to let her run free sometimes and also feel the power i paid for, if i wanted to slow drive i wouldn't have a mach, i got it for power and for what it is.

but i get what he is saing bout you telling people they might want to learn how to drive again, if the traction light comes on from getting on it alittle. i image a lot of guys on here have a lot of time behind a fast car and prob there mach's.

again lets try to get along people. i'm doing the fighting over here where it is suppose to be not in the states.
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote