2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Monster Mach

anyone know of any good jobs in md?

does anyone? im 19 i am very good with computers... and when i say good i mean VERY good. I have a Superior i.q but i do not like to show it because of the way people act towards me. i would love to be in criminal justice but cannot find anywhere... or i would love to find work on base but they all need some experiance that i simply dont have... i obviously love cars... does anyone know a place? my previous experiance was working at a car dealership a door manufacturer and now a family cafe..
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Azure Blurr
I miss my friend

Re: anyone know of any good jobs in md?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mach View Post
does anyone? im 19 i am very good with computers... and when i say good i mean VERY good. I have a Superior i.q but i do not like to show it because of the way people act towards me. i would love to be in criminal justice but cannot find anywhere... or i would love to find work on base but they all need some experiance that i simply dont have... i obviously love cars... does anyone know a place? my previous experiance was working at a car dealership a door manufacturer and now a family cafe..
At 19 you lack much of what is being sought after. I'd work on my writing skills first, this will help with your resumes. Secondly, you will need some sort of degree for either field that you have listed. "Experience" and a "superior I.Q." will go only so far before someone sees through your ********.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Monster Mach

I can write perfectly fine, if i chose to do so. On a forum i tend not to do so. Big difference.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
_bones

If your built for it, try a building & construction trade. You gotta hack 5yrs school@work but u can make a decent buck. Ny/Md pays well union. Nowadays, even working for a town is good because its steady w/overtime. Times are tough sometimes u gotta suck it up.
_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
jasionox666x

Usajobs.gov
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Monster Mach

i did a little construction, But pay was horrible. I did asphault and home remodeling. Remodeling was the most fun tbh. usajobs i am searching and will keep searching lol
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
GRB60

If you're smart and 19 why aren't you in college? Long term wages will far outperform any short term advantage by working full time now.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
jasionox666x

Quote:
i did a little construction, But pay was horrible. I did asphault and home remodeling. Remodeling was the most fun tbh. usajobs i am searching and will keep searching lol
The only thing that sucks about USA jobs is their process takes for ever but once you are in the gs system you are set.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
i am very good with computers... and when i say good i mean VERY good. I have a Superior i.q
without formal certifications and/or a degree this is meaningless.

sometimes places (usually like a library or other civil office) offer voluteer work for things like building a website. you probably won't get paid but could at least put something on a resume.

and you need to understand that how you represent yourself is key. you may just be on a "public" forum but you are asking for employment. you may be genious enough to solve PI, but if you don't take the 30 seconds to proof read a paragraph you're not sending the right message.

again, don't shoot the messenger
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
np_mach1

To get a decent job in the DC metro area you will have to have some sort of college degree. You should also look into getting some computer certifications to match your skills. Your skills mean nothing to different companies unless you can show it on paper.

There are a lot of jobs out here, but what do YOU want to do?

You should figure out what you love to do and go for it. Don't be affraid to fail! Keep your child like enthusiam in everything you approach, and you WILL find success.

"Don't worry about making a living, it will take care of its self. Worry about making the most out of your life!"
np_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
jasionox666x

I've come to realize that certifications are meaningless without experience.

Some places will also hire people with two years of experience over someone with a bachelors degree in a technical field without experience.

I'm going to college and I'm about to obtain my CCNA (Cisco Certified Nerwork Associate) and my associates degree in computer networking. I already have two certificates from Cisco as well as a letter from the CEO congratulating me. The job I applied for here got taken by someone that's never been to college but he has a year and a half of experience and they took him over me.

It's best to go out to school and get as many internships as possible for the experience. Places like NASA and Lockheed Martin will hire you as a paid intern if you are going to college and hold a certain GPA.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
I've come to realize that certifications are meaningless without experience.
very good point, if you have the experience and usually someone that can back up your work history.
the thing is most job postings list them as a requirement. without "someone in your network" to vouch for your ethic or a formal piece of paper stating you have achieved something your application/resume isn't even going to get looked at. and in this economy competition is fierce.

i've worked with people that had the piece of paper, spoke very intelligently and even had good references. but they just could not grasp the system they were hired to support. (consequently they did not last long at the job)

the piece of paper simply means you have at least demonstrated an ability to learn and the drive to finish something as a means to support why a prospective employer would hire you.

the internship is a great idea. you may get paid very little or possibly not at all but the references will go a long way later in your career.

lastly, social chemistry in the work environment is absolutely required regardless of pieces of paper and work history.
(i will stop here on this topic)

[/rant]
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
jasionox666x

Here's something.
I just got rejected an internal position where I work. I was told my technical skills and interviews were very nice but since I don't know more than one work task within the company I wasn't qualified.
I've worked here for 3 years now. I'm talking to my manager to get me into these other classes for more training. Time to get my *** up and outta the production environment.

Ugh

This is why I want to join the army. Get my MOS and get my experience.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Azure Blurr
I miss my friend

Quote:
I can write perfectly fine, if i chose to do so. On a forum i tend not to do so. Big difference.
Not much difference. The only difference is age. I choose to punctuate and attempt to use correct English grammar online just as I would in my career. Trust me, it can come back to bite you.
In your original post you come off as a cocky kid. I'm just sayin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKnGO View Post
Nsa
So you'll hire him "No Strings Attached". :LAUGH:
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKnGO View Post
Nsa
I qualify for the network manager position! Lol

I'm gonna apply
Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Monster Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Blurr View Post
Not much difference. The only difference is age. I choose to punctuate and attempt to use correct English grammar online just as I would in my career. Trust me, it can come back to bite you.
In your original post you come off as a cocky kid. I'm just sayin....

So you'll hire him "No Strings Attached". :LAUGH:
i am in no way shape or form cocky. Hence why i asked for help. But as of last night i got an opportunity of a lifetime. i got a letter in the mail about taking my test that i applied for months ago. The test is for Prince George county corrections. From what my local officers have told me it is easy and they have written their recommendations for me.