2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Kove

Help... New rear brakes an they're squeaking

I replaced my front and rear brakes the other day and I have a squeak coming from the rear. They are the correct pads, not GT pads. It squeaks pretty much at all times when I'm driving until I apply the brakes, then it quits until I let off the brakes. The pads are Hawk HPS pads.
Kove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
SHAKN' 04

Re: Help... New rear brakes an they're squeaking

did you make sure the pads and rotors were clean? did the caliper slide on easy with the pads installed? Also might wanna check the brake dust shield and make sure its not rubbing on the rotor. Couple things to check for
-Full Exhaust (mac lts & xpipe, sss terminator c/b)
-Built Rear w/ 3.55 gears

[B]-Tuned by Lethal Performance of San Antonio
-510hp/478tq
SHAKN' 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
DeepDish04

I have the same problem except mine is coming from the front rotors. Just had a brand new set of wagner thermoquiets put on and the rotors turned. when i took it down the road the squeek was embarassinh. Even using disc brake quiet the pads still squeek? It only squeeks when I am not on the brakes. Am anxious to see if someone has a solution for your car as well as mine
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Kove

I think I'm gonna tear it down one day next week and spray everything down with brake clean to see if it gets rid of the squeak. It is very embarrasing, so I'll just drive my truck until I get the brake issue resolved.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
j rick kirby

Scuff up the rotors and pads with some coarse sandpaper.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Did you put the rattle clips on the new pads? I've dealt with the rear brakes squeaking multiple times and it's always the rattle clips. I just went through this again as recently as a couple weeks ago, one of the rattle clips was worn out. Luckily I had a couple spares left over. Problem fixed. The pads should have no up and down movement when set in the bracket.

DeepDish04, did you only replace the fronts or all 4 when the squeak started? You may be surprised... The first time I dealt with this I swore it was coming from the front end, but it was indeed the rear. Even when this happened again a few weeks ago, if I didn't know better I would have guessed front end.

MGW Shifter : SCT : Pypes O/R X : Magnapack cat-back : K&N Filter : H&R SS Springs : Tokico D-specs : MM CC Plates : Anthracite Shelby Torq-Thrust M 17x9 -- Falken RT615 275/40
R.Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Kove

Are the anti-rattle clips not attached to the pads? I can't remember putting them in there but not sure. If not, can I buy the anti-rattle clips or do I have to buy another set of pads to get them? I guess I'll check for those when I tear it back apart. The Mach is gonna sit until I get this problem resolved.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
NastyNate

like stated make sure you have the anti rattle clips installed. id tear it down and clean it up put brake lube on the contact point and reassemble. then do some hard stops to seat the brakes i like to do hard stops in reverse as well. i have hps as well and have to clean then once a year cuz they start to squeak and it drives me nuts
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
DeepDish04

I bought a brand new set of rotors and pads for the rear which i guess is why I'm ruling them out. Had several people ride wth me and hang out the window and said its def coming from the front. Took the car to a local brake shop this past week and had the front rotors freshly turned and a new set of wagner thermo quiets (same as rear) installed. Normally theiy make 3 fast turns on a rotor and then 1 slow cut. They had to do 4 fast cut and 2 slow cut on my front rotors. driving off I thought well good deal they are fixed....WRONG. the brakes squeeked louder than before. took the car back.up there the day after and had them pull the rotor back off. they did 3 fast cuts and 1 slow cut. Needless to say i have no more rotor left. Drove off the car was quiwt but over the weekend its started its noise again and is slowly getting louder. any suggestions? Warped rotor possibly?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kove View Post
Are the anti-rattle clips not attached to the pads? I can't remember putting them in there but not sure. If not, can I buy the anti-rattle clips or do I have to buy another set of pads to get them? I guess I'll check for those when I tear it back apart. The Mach is gonna sit until I get this problem resolved.
Pads don't come with the clips, not that I've ever seen anyways, so you always have to remember to take them off the old pads and put them on the new. So it's easy to forget about them. There is 2 per pad, one on top and bottom. Yeah you can buy them at somewhere like autozone for a few bucks. Here's a pic for reference.

MGW Shifter : SCT : Pypes O/R X : Magnapack cat-back : K&N Filter : H&R SS Springs : Tokico D-specs : MM CC Plates : Anthracite Shelby Torq-Thrust M 17x9 -- Falken RT615 275/40
Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDish04 View Post
I bought a brand new set of rotors and pads for the rear which i guess is why I'm ruling them out. Had several people ride wth me and hang out the window and said its def coming from the front. Took the car to a local brake shop this past week and had the front rotors freshly turned and a new set of wagner thermo quiets (same as rear) installed. Normally theiy make 3 fast turns on a rotor and then 1 slow cut. They had to do 4 fast cut and 2 slow cut on my front rotors. driving off I thought well good deal they are fixed....WRONG. the brakes squeeked louder than before. took the car back.up there the day after and had them pull the rotor back off. they did 3 fast cuts and 1 slow cut. Needless to say i have no more rotor left. Drove off the car was quiwt but over the weekend its started its noise again and is slowly getting louder. any suggestions? Warped rotor possibly?
Honestly I still say it's the rear. I'd almost put money on it. The squeaking stopping when you touch the brakes is a big give away IMO. The fronts really don't have anything that will squeak as described here. Stopping this noise is the function of the anti-rattle clips.

Like I said the noise is deceiving... The first time it happened to me I tore apart the front multiple times because I swore it was coming from the front.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Kove

I tore the rear brakes down today and there were no rattle clips on there. After putting everything back together I drove the car around for a little bit and no squeak. Anti-rattle clips were definitely the culprit. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk