2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
jasionox666x

Need a family car, getting rid of Mach possibly

It all depends on what I can get.

I want a 4 door fun car, something that I can have fun in when alone but when the kid is in I want it to be roomy. Has to have 4 doors.

I really don't want to go over 20k.

What are my options?

I'm also leaning toward keeping the mach since I will only have 1.5 years of payments left when my daughter is due.

DECISIONS!

I looked at BMWs and Dodge Chargers
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
White04Mach
Stab n' Steer!

Re: Need a family car, getting rid of Mach possibly

Pontiac G8 GT....make sure you check the lower control arms because apparently they go out often. My brother in laws is for sale...http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3062038973.html
Ford C springs, MM Adjustable lower control arms, DD Mach rims, Honeycomb panel, sequential turn signals, modded Bullitt skirts, wingless decklid, Cobra mirrors, Flowmaster 40's, Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster, 4.10's, Shelby diff cover, MGW shifter, Raptor shift light.
White04Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
mach18604

2003-04 cts-v
Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Mach1tosh

Government Motors

Latest model Taurus or a Fusion if a sedan is what you seek.
The Honda CRV with all wheel drive is a good all around pick. Goes through snow like a hot knife through butter and there's lots of room for wife and kids and groceries.
When your on your own the suspension is so good in the corners that what little speed you lose is easy to make up on exit.
Not to mention the gas bill is significantly lower than anything mentioned so far. Do I even need to mention how bullet proof they are compared to just about anything else? We take the wife's '08 out in the woods on some pretty awful logging roads and it soaks it all up with aplomb. The stability control is great and not to much of a nanny and the 4 wheel discs will give at least $.08 change
Hey it's not a Mach 1, as my wife is fond of reminding me she thinks I drive it too fast, but you could do worse.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
jbrad88
Original Owner

Mach is my only car. I have all three of my kids (divorced last year).
we do just fine...one is 13, one is 6 and one is 7.

another year or so from now something a little bigger will have to happen. I am going Fusion myself when that time comes unless I can afford a f-150 crew cab by then...

The backward facing baby seats are a challenge in the Mach though...once they move to regular forward facing and boosters its not that bad...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1tosh View Post
Government Motors

Latest model Taurus or a Fusion if a sedan is what you seek.
The Honda CRV with all wheel drive is a good all around pick. Goes through snow like a hot knife through butter and there's lots of room for wife and kids and groceries.
When your on your own the suspension is so good in the corners that what little speed you lose is easy to make up on exit.
Not to mention the gas bill is significantly lower than anything mentioned so far. Do I even need to mention how bullet proof they are compared to just about anything else? We take the wife's '08 out in the woods on some pretty awful logging roads and it soaks it all up with aplomb. The stability control is great and not to much of a nanny and the 4 wheel discs will give at least $.08 change
Hey it's not a Mach 1, as my wife is fond of reminding me she thinks I drive it too fast, but you could do worse.
If you can find one with low miles, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. They are supercharged, sporty, and easy to mod. Thats what I went to when we had 2 car seats for the kiddies. The only thing they didnt like was . But there are upgrades to fix that.

The G8 is also a great choice. AND both rides were made before they became Govt Motors.

As far as Hondas, they are excellent cars. We re on our 2nd Odyssey, yes I know its a van. But dont knock em until you drive one. They drive great, has a car like steering, it doesnt float around like most, room for 8, 265 hp, and we get 21-22 mpg in town and 28-32 mpg on the highway.

My wife refused to get a van at first. She said, 'I m not OLD enough to drive one.' She was 32 at the time. This last one we bought, I told her we could trade the van, get a new MUSTANG, and I d let her drive it every day. She said, 'trade your mustang but youre not getting my van.'

Seriously, look at buying a used one, 2006 and up and keep the Mach. With kids and car seats, and the power sliding doors, it ll serve you for alot of yrs.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
4V FURY
Lite Poster

Ok don't laugh but here goes. I have one child and my 4 door 2007 ST Focus works out fine room wise inside as well as having enough trunk space. While not really fast it does have a larger engine (2.3L) and so more HP/TQ than a regular Focus along with 4 wheel disc brakes, leather/suede seats and more. You could pick up one of these for $5-9k and keep the Mach. These only come in 5-sp. btw. I average 30 mpg combined city and highway.

In the spring i plan on getting the new 2.0L Ecoboost Focus ST when the spring auto show incentive is available. If you can get A plan you could get into one of these for right around $20k. Needless to say, this will be a fun little car for that "me time" behind the wheel and still have 4 doors and good mpg's. Ford is taking orders on these cars now with production starting soon.
Attached Thumbnails
MISC. 044.jpg  

Naturally Aspirdated

Boss330 heads/cams/intake + VT 324" shortblock

11.34 @ 125.62 on ET streets

CRT-PERFORMANCE tuned

Congrats to Redliner who has taken it to a best ET of 10.97 @ 124
4V FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Bincky
2004 Black Mach1 5-Speed

Well, if you want to stay with a familiar engine, there's always a chance at finding a lower-mileage Mercury Marauder or Lincoln Aviator.
Bincky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
jasionox666x

There's another problem. I'm SO tied up with school and networking that I have absolutely no time to learn about cars. I don't know anything about mine except for the small stuff.

I know it's a car I love to drive every time I see it and I really hate thinking about getting rid of it. I'm leaning 90% toward the side of keeping it though.

By the time my daughter is born I will have 1.5 years left. I will be able to afford it and besides, everyone always asks me about the car so I don't think I would have a hard time selling it, if need be.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V FURY View Post
Ok don't laugh but here goes. I have one child and my 4 door 2007 ST Focus works out fine room wise inside as well as having enough trunk space. While not really fast it does have a larger engine (2.3L) and so more HP/TQ than a regular Focus along with 4 wheel disc brakes, leather/suede seats and more. You could pick up one of these for $5-9k and keep the Mach. These only come in 5-sp. btw. I average 30 mpg combined city and highway.

In the spring i plan on getting the new 2.0L Ecoboost Focus ST when the spring auto show incentive is available. If you can get A plan you could get into one of these for right around $20k. Needless to say, this will be a fun little car for that "me time" behind the wheel and still have 4 doors and good mpg's. Ford is taking orders on these cars now with production starting soon.
The first thing that came to my mind was that new Focus coming out, but I was'nt sure what the price was gonna be. That or a Fusion would be on my list. I've got an '05 Focus ZX4. It's been a good car.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Mulldune

you should get a bike,no cars for you
Mulldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
aguerra8907

G8 gt all the way my friend has one..H,C,I ..full exhaust, tune, 150 shot,4200 stall 11.6 1/4 mile and still gets 24 mpg..and car seats in back lol

Look up wickedSperformance on YouTube for walk around
aguerra8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
4valve 4tw?

I'm possibly selling 2 cars to cut down to one and I have a boy that's almost 2.5 years old so I'm in same boat as you. Only difference is that 4 doors arn't a necessity for me. I will say, the market is very very slim when it comes to the 4 doors(I've been checking all sorts of stuff for over a year now, probably buyin something next spring). I'll stick with the fun 4 doors since that's what you're asking for. Oh and all these are REALISTICALLY under 20k.

Ctsv-expect high mileage though

Wrx old or new- newer 2.5 engines are holding their value far to well for what you get personally though

G8- odds are not getting a v8 for less then 20k unless its beat to hell(Que well I know a cousins girlfriend Friend that got one)

Volvo s60R- yeah yeah its a Volvo. its also 3600lbs, awd, 300hp, turbo 5 cylinder. Its not hard to get them into the upper 300hp using the simple turbo mods. 3 setting suspension that everybody seems to agree makes a difference and awd are a plus for a variety of road conditions. 6 speed manual or auto.

Charger... I really like the Daytonas, and I know it sounds stupid, but I can't bring myself to buy a charger on principle. Its a Mercedes 5 speed auto, a Mercedes chassis, and use literally the only motors still made of iron. Dodge had to of had so little R and D for those cars there's no reason they shouldn't be cheaper. I mean come on, how many magnums, chargers, and 300c's were sold when they were under Mercedes?!?

Bmw 335- very very rarely under 20k unless higher mileage, but the earlier twin turbo 6's, are absolutely overly engineered engines capable of serious hp numbers. And stock they're already mid to low 13's. Obviously, BMW costs will be outrageous for repairs but mechanically I hear they are solid cars. Its all the other little things that could add up.

Pre 01 M3's are very reasonable now and come in 4 doors. Only 240 or 260hp or something , but around 3200lbs or less means the thing is agile and still has pep.

Mercedes c32 amg - not that heavy, and a 349hp supercharged v6

Audi's - Do your homework and find which car fits best for you. Many of their older performance models are under 20k now. Also, if a part is outrageously expensive, check the vw/Audi forum's for advise. Their might be am identical VW stamped part for half the price.

Ford's got nothin. I really like the updated fusion's interior that my dads company car had, but the sport v6 models are far from sporty. But, a new v6 mustang has a bit more space in the back then you currently do...

If you're ok with sub mid-sized sedans, the cobalt SS turbo is huge bang for the buck. I believe it's still the fastest fwd car around the nurburgring and has an over the counter upgrade from Chevy to 290hp/320lb ft , in a 2900lb body. The interior some love, most far from it. Only 08-09 came in sedans I believe.

Infinite G sedans. The g37 sedans are right around 20x now and have a bizmillion different options. However, the 07g35 sedan has the 306 hp version of the v6 that they never put in the coupe sadly. Its one year only, (08's are g37's) can be had stick or auto, and I've seen mags take them to low 13's because of awd. Not a bad deal if you can find one.

Good luck to ya. I'm no longer worried about 4 doors as my guy can actually climb up into his seat from the rear seat floor area. I actually think it'll be easier for me since he'd rather do it himself, and opens up the doors to a lot more cars for me, like a Mach 1!
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
I'm possibly selling 2 cars to cut down to one and I have a boy that's almost 2.5 years old so I'm in same boat as you. Only difference is that 4 doors arn't a necessity for me. I will say, the market is very very slim when it comes to the 4 doors(I've been checking all sorts of stuff for over a year now, probably buyin something next spring). I'll stick with the fun 4 doors since that's what you're asking for. Oh and all these are REALISTICALLY under 20k.

Ctsv-expect high mileage though

Wrx old or new- newer 2.5 engines are holding their value far to well for what you get personally though

G8- odds are not getting a v8 for less then 20k unless its beat to hell(Que well I know a cousins girlfriend Friend that got one)

Volvo s60R- yeah yeah its a Volvo. its also 3600lbs, awd, 300hp, turbo 5 cylinder. Its not hard to get them into the upper 300hp using the simple turbo mods. 3 setting suspension that everybody seems to agree makes a difference and awd are a plus for a variety of road conditions. 6 speed manual or auto.

Charger... I really like the Daytonas, and I know it sounds stupid, but I can't bring myself to buy a charger on principle. Its a Mercedes 5 speed auto, a Mercedes chassis, and use literally the only motors still made of iron. Dodge had to of had so little R and D for those cars there's no reason they shouldn't be cheaper. I mean come on, how many magnums, chargers, and 300c's were sold when they were under Mercedes?!?

Bmw 335- very very rarely under 20k unless higher mileage, but the earlier twin turbo 6's, are absolutely overly engineered engines capable of serious hp numbers. And stock they're already mid to low 13's. Obviously, BMW costs will be outrageous for repairs but mechanically I hear they are solid cars. Its all the other little things that could add up.

Pre 01 M3's are very reasonable now and come in 4 doors. Only 240 or 260hp or something , but around 3200lbs or less means the thing is agile and still has pep.

Mercedes c32 amg - not that heavy, and a 349hp supercharged v6

Audi's - Do your homework and find which car fits best for you. Many of their older performance models are under 20k now. Also, if a part is outrageously expensive, check the vw/Audi forum's for advise. Their might be am identical VW stamped part for half the price.

Ford's got nothin. I really like the updated fusion's interior that my dads company car had, but the sport v6 models are far from sporty. But, a new v6 mustang has a bit more space in the back then you currently do...

If you're ok with sub mid-sized sedans, the cobalt SS turbo is huge bang for the buck. I believe it's still the fastest fwd car around the nurburgring and has an over the counter upgrade from Chevy to 290hp/320lb ft , in a 2900lb body. The interior some love, most far from it. Only 08-09 came in sedans I believe.

Infinite G sedans. The g37 sedans are right around 20x now and have a bizmillion different options. However, the 07g35 sedan has the 306 hp version of the v6 that they never put in the coupe sadly. Its one year only, (08's are g37's) can be had stick or auto, and I've seen mags take them to low 13's because of awd. Not a bad deal if you can find one.

Good luck to ya. I'm no longer worried about 4 doors as my guy can actually climb up into his seat from the rear seat floor area. I actually think it'll be easier for me since he'd rather do it himself, and opens up the doors to a lot more cars for me, like a Mach 1!
Everything he said, plus u could look at:
- an older 5 series bmw,
- 330i bmw,
- saab 9-5 aero (a ridiculous amount of car for the money, good on both power and economy, and it can be had in a stick if you look hard enough),
- used audi A6 (prefer the 30v TT v6, these can also be had in a stick and are pretty much bulletproof),
- vw phaeton (were close to $80k brand new, opt for the v8 not the w12, this isnt exactly sporty but ur not going to get more luxurious for the money),
- The Pontiac G8 if you don't mind having an australian car with a dead american badge on it,
- Lexus IS300 / IS350
- Keep the mach and buy a decent DD like an SVT focus or contour for around $5k (this is what I am going to do)
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Agree with the G8. Might be able to find a Trailblazer SS for under 20k.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote