2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
m4ch

Maintenance on low mileage Mach

I picked up an '04 Mach with 9,100 miles about a month ago. It's now got 10,400 on it after my drive back to Texas, and a little cruising. This won't be my DD, but I want to make sure all maintenance and fluids are in check. The oil was just changed, but is there anything else you guys would think needs to be changed just because of age? Any advice or comments are appreciated and welcome!

Torch Red 2003 Mach 1 (5 Speed) Daily Driver
-Borla Stinger Catback
-CDC Honeycomb Trunk Panel Insert
-Lower Rear Bumper Valence Accent
-Koni Single Adjustable "Yellows" Shocks/Struts
-H&R Race Springs
-MM CC Plates
-Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
-17x9/17x10.5 Black FR500s

Competition Orange 2004 Mach 1 (5 Speed)
-Stock with 10k Miles
m4ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
iamkevin7

Re: Maintenance on low mileage Mach

If you are mechanixcally inclined changing out the tranny oil is a good idea. Mine had some royal purple crap in it. I put dex 3 back in it and it rows sweet now. I wont say whats best for a 3650 since that is open to 38 different recommendations
iamkevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
4a7191a

That's so true o. The trans fluid. I actually did royal purple sycromesh with Lucas in mine.
I'd change the fuel filter, keep decently fresh gas in the tank at all times.

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
RedLiner
Line Lock Wussy

I'm one of those guys who replaces everything when buying a new (used) vehicle. All fluids (motor, trans, rear, and coolant), fuel filter, air filter, clean IAC & MAF, check for injector leaks, oil leaks, anything that is typical of a car with low mileage and 10+ years old. I'm sure most of it is fine, but it doesn't hurt to inspect the wear items.

On a side note, if you ever want to sell your stock Competition Orange Mach... Please let me know! I'd love to have a mint, stock CO Mach sitting next to mine.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
I'm one of those guys who replaces everything when buying a new (used) vehicle. All fluids (motor, trans, rear, and coolant), fuel filter, air filter, clean IAC & MAF, check for injector leaks, oil leaks, anything that is typical of a car with low mileage and 10+ years old. I'm sure most of it is fine, but it doesn't hurt to inspect the wear items.

On a side note, if you ever want to sell your stock Competition Orange Mach... Please let me know! I'd love to have a mint, stock CO Mach sitting next to mine.
I think the CO is what he just bought. The other one is a red 03.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
RedLiner
Line Lock Wussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
I think the CO is what he just bought. The other one is a red 03.
Dang! Lol, I'm not sure how I missed that I guess he won't be selling any time soon. Haha
Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
mach18604

Good question..

I have a OW 04 with 6,000 miles on it. Got it two years ago with 4,000 miles on it.. Its all stock... fluids, battery, tires.. Just changed the oil changed each spring
Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
3xzsucof

Flush radiator
3xzsucof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
devous1
Chairman of "The Bored"

4700 miles on a DSG, we changed fluids and tires because the were dry rotted on the side walls really bad

03 TORCH RED MACH
V7 YSI and Some Other Stuff
03 DSG MACH
90 Kenny Brown Super LX
89 LX BBF as seen on Pinks 5/11-SOLD
11 F450 Lariat
A Couple Tuber Buells
devous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #10
4valve 4tw?

You guys with oem tires must like to gamble. There's no way I'd run 10+ year old tires on a car, let alone drive spiritedly. Heck why would you want to? Tire technology has advanced so much even a set of "outdated" Michelin PS2's must make the original tires feel like they are covered in grease. It's an unsophisticated pony car. It's meant to have a surplus of power, and gumball tires.

I got my eye on an 8k mile Mach, and though it's a screamin deal already, I'm waiting for the price to drop some more, because after buying it I'd almost consider it a requirement to
-Flush/fill coolant
-Change to synthetic engine oil
-Tires appear original so there's 4 new tires
-Change trans oil and add some synchromesh if its 3650 is as bad as some others I've felt
-ABSOLUTELY flush/fill brake fluid with some good DOT4. Brake fluid is very aqua-absorbant
-New fuel filter, and maybe pump. Don't wanna get left stranded
-Probably change differential grease

That's my answer to ya OP. Now, you'd basically have a brand new car, and all that work is invaluble insurance to me. 10 years of largely inactivity is a long time for chemical decomposition.

Or the short version, I'd say oil, brake fluid, coolant, and be gentle till that tank of gas is used up.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
m4ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
Dang! Lol, I'm not sure how I missed that I guess he won't be selling any time soon. Haha
Haha sorry about that! I couldn't pass it up for the price and mileage and I plan on babying her while driving her occasionally. My red one will be mostly driven.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #12
m4ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
You guys with oem tires must like to gamble. There's no way I'd run 10+ year old tires on a car, let alone drive spiritedly. Heck why would you want to? Tire technology has advanced so much even a set of "outdated" Michelin PS2's must make the original tires feel like they are covered in grease. It's an unsophisticated pony car. It's meant to have a surplus of power, and gumball tires.

I got my eye on an 8k mile Mach, and though it's a screamin deal already, I'm waiting for the price to drop some more, because after buying it I'd almost consider it a requirement to
-Flush/fill coolant
-Change to synthetic engine oil
-Tires appear original so there's 4 new tires
-Change trans oil and add some synchromesh if its 3650 is as bad as some others I've felt
-ABSOLUTELY flush/fill brake fluid with some good DOT4. Brake fluid is very aqua-absorbant
-New fuel filter, and maybe pump. Don't wanna get left stranded
-Probably change differential grease

That's my answer to ya OP. Now, you'd basically have a brand new car, and all that work is invaluble insurance to me. 10 years of largely inactivity is a long time for chemical decomposition.

Or the short version, I'd say oil, brake fluid, coolant, and be gentle till that tank of gas is used up.
I understand your concern with the tires, but I drove almost 900 miles from Georgia to Texas with them, through some rain as well, and had absolutely no issues. There's still a ton of tread on them. Plus, I still have the stock wheels from my red one with brand new Pilot Sport A/S 3's on them.

-Flush/fill coolant is something I'll probably look into.
-Already is running synthetic oil, was changed before I left Georgia at 9k. Which then begs the 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 question.
-I don't even want to ask about the transmission fluid. I've researched the hell out of that topic and STILL don't have a solid answer. Synchromesh, Dexron III, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, which IS it guys?!
-Brake fluid yes that's probably a good point.
-Fuel filter yes, but fuel pump? It's not like it wasn't driven period. You really think the pump needs replacing?
-Differential grease...I know Ford made the diffs fill for life unless submerged with water, not sure I agree with that one.

Anyone call me out if I'm wrong on anything. I appreciate the help, feedback, and advice so far!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Smith
It's all about the Shaker

I purchased a 04 two years ago with 5K. I just changed the oil and everything ran fine up to 16k when I sold it. I purchased another 04 in Jan this year with only 3K on it. I changed the oil and have put 1,000 on it already. I may flush coolant but not planning on any other changes unless I have a problem.

Oh, the original tires looked fine but I did trade them for newer tires off my previous Mach.
2004 Mach 1, Competition Orange, 5-spd, (1 of 914), 2nd Owner, Mostly Stock, MCA#84554.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
m4ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
I purchased a 04 two years ago with 5K. I just changed the oil and everything ran fine up to 16k when I sold it. I purchased another 04 in Jan this year with only 3K on it. I changed the oil and have put 1,000 on it already. I may flush coolant but not planning on any other changes unless I have a problem.

Oh, the original tires looked fine but I did trade them for newer tires off my previous Mach.
3k miles?! Wow I'm jealous...I thought 9k was low. It killed me driving back and rolling over to 10k lol. That's awesome. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by m4ch; 05-13-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
73mach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
You guys with oem tires must like to gamble. There's no way I'd run 10+ year old tires on a car, let alone drive spiritedly. Heck why would you want to?
Agreed. The car deserves new tires. Seems like an unnecessary risk to push that old rubber any further.

I bought mine used 5 years ago with 8,000 miles and stock tires. Rode the stock ones for about 2 years and decided to get new ones. I figured the age of the tires was more of a factor than the mileage.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
4valve 4tw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ch View Post
-Flush/fill coolant is something I'll probably look into.

-Already is running synthetic oil, was changed before I left Georgia at 9k. Which then begs the 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 question.
Not even a question, 5w-30. It's flat out better. I remember reading the head of SVT even commented the switch from 5w-20 to 30 was for emissions essentially. Lighter oil to eek that extra .1mpg out of a motor. For reference, the GT500 with all the heat it makes I believe takes 5w-40. They didn't take any chances with it.

-I don't even want to ask about the transmission fluid. I've researched the hell out of that topic and STILL don't have a solid answer. Synchromesh, Dexron III, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, which IS it guys?!
That I'll leave up to those more experienced.

-Brake fluid yes that's probably a good point.

-Fuel filter yes, but fuel pump? It's not like it wasn't driven period. You really think the pump needs replacing?
I dunno how exaggerated it is, but it seems to be a common problem with the oem pump crapping out randomly in cars that are rarely driven. Could be a case of forums making it seem worse then it is though.
-Differential grease...I know Ford made the diffs fill for life unless submerged with water, not sure I agree with that one.
True, but 10 year newer, better quality oil certainly can't hurt.
Anyone call me out if I'm wrong on anything. I appreciate the help, feedback, and advice so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
With all due respect, that doesn't show much. The condition of a car at 15k miles and 50k miles are completely different. Let alone if one plans to run their car to 100k miles and wants it to last. Though I fully admit I go overkill with some preventative maintanence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ch View Post
3k miles?! Wow I'm jealous...I thought 9k was low. It killed me driving back and rolling over to 10k lol. That's awesome.
I will never understand guys like you two at all, but I'm more then glad you exist so I can find sub 20k mile examples of a ten year old car out there

Any well maintained modern car should be able to make it to nearly 150k miles with hardly a snag. Go enjoy them!!!
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
Stage 1

I've got an '03 with 1,675 original miles, 100% stock. Bought it in Aug. '07 from the original owner with those same miles, never took it for a spin in all that time. The fuel pump took a dump, but still has the original battery and it's as hot as it was in '07 ( has had a tender on it continuously ).
I can see being worried about the original tires on cars that have sat on a bare cement floor, or have sat in the sun. But I think low mile tires that have basically never really sat out shouldn't be a big issue. I mean look who's really pushing discarding any tires 10 years old or older; the tire manufacturer's. I'm sure it couldn't be that they would like to sell some more tires, nah.
Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage 1 View Post
I've got an '03 with 1,675 original miles, 100% stock. Bought it in Aug. '07 from the original owner with those same miles, never took it for a spin in all that time. The fuel pump took a dump, but still has the original battery and it's as hot as it was in '07 ( has had a tender on it continuously ).
I can see being worried about the original tires on cars that have sat on a bare cement floor, or have sat in the sun. But I think low mile tires that have basically never really sat out shouldn't be a big issue. I mean look who's really pushing discarding any tires 10 years old or older; the tire manufacturer's. I'm sure it couldn't be that they would like to sell some more tires, nah.
If you look at the tread, in between the tread, and the sidewalls you may change your mind. I did. I didnt want to spend $500 on tires when the ones I had were perfectly good...except for the cracks in the side walls. Would they have been ok? Maybe but then again maybe not.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
mach18604

My car just hit 6,000 miles. I agree with the tires if they are dry rotted..

Mine seem fine tho.. car still smelled new inside. Was kept in storage the whole time.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
If you look at the tread, in between the tread, and the sidewalls you may change your mind. I did. I didnt want to spend $500 on tires when the ones I had were perfectly good...except for the cracks in the side walls. Would they have been ok? Maybe but then again maybe not.
I don't think mine have any cracking, but if they did, then I would agree on replacing before running at highway speeds.
Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote