2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
mach1 03

Anyone replace window motor?

My driver window decided to stop working. For the past ten years it would have times (really hot or cold days) that the window would stop working, but now it finally stopped for good. I can hear the click when I hit re button but nothing happens.
I looked on youtube and everything is talking about replacing the regulator and motor. Is this necessary?
How do I replace it and where should I buy it?

Thanks,
Brandon
mach1 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Anyone replace window motor?

its not too bad, a little cramped in there with your hands.

I would NOT recommend the dorman brand, I went through several of those in a couple months, upgraded to the more expensive one and didnt have another issue (i think dorman was like $40 and the other was $70 a few years ago)

the motor and regulator are one piece.

to take the door panel off - use a small flat head to pop the cover off the tweeter. Pop out the door bezel with the window and mirror buttons and unplug them. Pop out the the piece around the door handle. I think theres 3 screws between the two places. Theres a plastic push pin down low on the door panel, towards the footwell I believe (if you dont have the panel puller tool theyre worth buying so as not to mangle them or whatever they hold in place). Lift the door panel up and away (putting it on is a little tricky trying to line it up, itll probably take a few tries to get it right, dont force it too much)

take the door speaker out and unplug it.

Then youll need to peel back the plastic sheet stuck to the door frame to get access to the motor. One hand through the speaker, the other through some other opening. Unplug it, then use a 1/4" drive ratchet to remove the bolts (3 I think).

Note the orientation of the motor/regulator so its easier to get it back in place with the new one. First timer I would give yourself an hour, maybe even an hour and a half to figure it all out. Once you've done it you can probably do it again in 30 minutes

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
mach1 03

Thanks.
I have replaced my entire stereo (had the doors down to the plastic barrier) so at least I know that much of the job. My big concern is messing up the glass while changing the motor and regulator. One video I saw online said you need two people to replace the motor and regulator, is that true.

Brandon
Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

I wouldn't replace the regulator if you don't have to. I can't say Ive ever replaced just the motor on the 94-04's but the windows in the new edge mustangs are not friendly to work on. The regulator is rivited to the door and the window itself is rivited to the regulator. Tons of adjustment in positioning the window if you move the stops. If they sell just a motor (which seems they do from the previous post) that is your best option.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1 03 View Post
Thanks.
I have replaced my entire stereo (had the doors down to the plastic barrier) so at least I know that much of the job. My big concern is messing up the glass while changing the motor and regulator. One video I saw online said you need two people to replace the motor and regulator, is that true.

Brandon
You won't need to remove the window from the door to replace the regulator or motor. But you will need to drill the rivits out of the window to free it from the regulator and hold it in the up postion. A block of wood is your friend here so you don't drill through the outside of the door skin. It is easier with an extra set of hands bit what isn't? Its a one man job. Same with replacing the windshield or back glass.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

to clarify you can buy this motor assembly

http://www.autozone.com/collision-bo...52_1264_78655/

and theres no rivets or anything that have to removed.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
mach1 03

Okay, this is the video that I watched. According to the video, I do not see how I can take out the motor without taking out the regulator (I would prefer whatever way is easiest/fastest). You may have to skip around the video because it is so long, but is this the easiest way to fix the window.

https://youtu.be/93eO5IIfObk

Brandon
Old 08-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
01yellerCobra

I replaced the driver side window motor in my 01. That was after I has taken it apart to clean the motor itself. Never drilled anything or removed the regulator. I think I loosened the channel to get a little more wiggle room. Get a second set of hands to hold the window while you work.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

Should have been a little more clear in my posts. Drilling is only required to replace the regulator
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
Solid.scamper

If you hit the main shaft on the motor with a half inch extension with a two pound hammer it will free it up. I should probably change the window motor in my mach, but it hasn't froze up in me in quite some time. It wont be hard to replace, just time consuming. Good luck!
Subframe connectors
Brembo front brakes
EGR delete with copper pennies in manifold cap
Home fabricated optional IAC plates
JLT Cold air Intake
Flowmaster X pipe
BBK Adjustable clutch
Predator Tune
Solid.scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
TKat13
Mach-T

If your motor sticks in the 'up' position, then your rubber bumpstops in the motor have flattened, this is especially true if this happens only when it is hot outside and once it cools the motor starts to work.

I fixed mine years ago by taking the motor apart, taking that rubber piece out and flipping it around and putting plenty of grease on it and mine has not stuck since. Or, buy a new motor. Either plan works.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
monsterbrad

I just had the door apart
Make sure you have the time to mess with it.
there is barely enough room to get your arm in there.
I have a 03 and the motor assembly is bolted in.
make sure you check the front slider on the window itself mine came off and fell into the door .
the entire window is siliconed into the track pieces that hold it onto the regulator.
Just take you time and get the Ford motor and save your self the grief of doing it 2 times
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
mach1 03

I decided to take apart the door and try to get the motor out. I got it out after a half hour. After I got it out I tested it and it worked so I plugged it back into the wiring harness to make sure that the problem wasn't in the switch, but it worked fine. So, I assume that banging on it while I was prying it out must have got it moving.

However, the motor has started and stopped for the past 10 years so I'm still going to replace it. Now I just have to decide what motor to put back it. The autozone link isn't working anymore. I also found one on American muscle, but it is more expensive and I don't know if it is worth it or not. After I buy one I hope I can get it back in. It took a good amount of effort to get it out and you can't see what your doing to try to get it back in.

Brandon
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
mach1 03

Thanks everyone. I ended up replacing just the motor and it was pretty simple.

Brandon
Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
monsterbrad

Had the door apart again on mine the back window mount came out of the silicone.
Fixed using the black RTV that I used on the front guide that fell off.
broke the handle pocket where the slider clip goes but it seems ok now thats its back together
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote