2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
04DSG4VMach1

Mach 460 system

so I went to install my Pioneer DVD/Unit the other day in my 04 Mach 1 and found out someone (one of the 3 previous owners) hacked the factory wiring harness connector plug off the mach 460 portion of the harness. For some reason they spliced in a factory plug from an 01-03 mach 460 connector. Dont understand that at all.

which explains why the metra 70-5521 didnt line up (its for an 04 mustang with mach 460 sound)

They also removed the mach460 door and rear deck speakers and stuck in crappy infinitys with crossovers. So wih the help of a friend we pulled the old speakers out and rippped all the aftermarket wiring out. Thankfully all the factory mach 460 speaker connections and amp wiring are still intact.

I browsed ebay and was fortunate to find a mach 460 only wiring harness that came right out of an 04 GT with mach 460 system in it for $45 shipped.

and I also found a complete set of Mach 460 speakers front and back and tweeters for $109 on ebay as well.

I still have the metra 70-5521 and will be using it with the replacement mach 460 harness.

However my question is, where does the mach 460 harness plug into behind the dash so I can remove the old harness and replace it with the new one?

Does anyone have an exploded view of the dash and wiring for an 04 Mach 1? (not looking for diagrams).

This is pretty much my only challenge finding out where it connects.

I have ordered a soldering gun and heat shrink tubing so I can do a nice clean, tidy, professional wiring job and the amp and subwoofer rca's have already been run, just need to find a sturdy spot for the ground to mount to on bare metal and run the remote amp wire.

I also ordered a replacement Pioneer AVIC-X940BT wiring harness since the old one was a bit worn out.

any help would be appreciated.

the metra harness integrates an aftermarket stereo unit into the existing mach 460 system and it does sound pretty decent. It is a stereo system on a budget and helps everything remain mostly stock with exception to the head unit.
04DSG4VMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: Mach 460 system

Yikes! that looks like a mess that I would not want to deal with. Good luck.

BTW, you do know that the Mach460 system is terrible, in fact the speakers themselves are some of the worst I have had. Those Infinity speakers are much better, imho. Unless they are blown.

Let me explain; the Mach460 system consists of 8 speakers; 4 of them are the 2.5" speakers that many refer to as the tweeters; however in Ford's case these are actually a full range speaker that cannot handle anything below say 150hz; but also cannot handle the highs that you get with a real tweeter. Basically all your stereo sounds like voices, etc comes from those speakers. Then you have the 4x6 speakers; these are actually Ford's version of the subwoofers. All four speakers operate in 'MONO' mode, no stereo. They attempt lows but do it poorly, they really cannot handle the very lows that a normal subwoofer is designed for. Your Amps in the back power those 4 'sub woofers'; your deck powers the 4 2.5" speakers. Well, this is the case for a 2004; the 2003 maybe slightly different as the deck is different and yours seems to be a mixture.

Infinity speakers like power; deck power from an aftermarket radio will make them work, but they frankly sound like a cheap pair of speakers. Add a real 50 watt amplifier to them and they sound like a complete different set of speakers.

I am happy to answer questions as I have already tackled this mess in my car, but luckily I am the original owner so no hack job was waiting for me. I used the Metra kit and it worked well but only used it to power the deck. I ran 3 sets of RCA cables to the trunk, Front (L&R), Rear (L&R) and Sub. Then installed two amps in the trunk, 1 four channel for the speakers in the doors and rear deck and 1 amp for a subwoofer. Then ran all new wiring to the speakers from the amps.

You will be happier in the long run.

Again, good luck to you. I will be yanking all of my daughters Mach460 out of her 04 GT shortly.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
04DSG4VMach1

no the mach460 does NOT sound terrible when paired with the proper head unit. the mach 460's only shortcoming is the underpowered visteon head unit.

i integrated a Pioneer single din into my 02 gt's mach 460 system several years ago and added a pair of kicker subs and an amp and it sounded killer. crystal clear and perfect bass.

the question is

where do i disconnect the mach460 harness at behind the dash to replace it with the new one that isnt hacked all to bits?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DSG4VMach1 View Post
no the mach460 does NOT sound terrible when paired with the proper head unit. the mach 460's only shortcoming is the underpowered visteon head unit.

i integrated a Pioneer single din into my 02 gt's mach 460 system several years ago and added a pair of kicker subs and an amp and it sounded killer. crystal clear and perfect bass.

the question is

where do i disconnect the mach460 harness at behind the dash to replace it with the new one that isnt hacked all to bits?
Not sure where you disconnect it, I would just start tracing it down/back. I do not know anyone that has had to repair such a hack job, for this I feel sorry for you.

I did the same with my factory speakers and personally was not impressed but it did improve the sound, but everyone has their opinions and whatever makes you happy is what really counts.

I do agree, a good head unit will make those speakers sound better but they still lack the capability of producing proper high notes with mids being a little muddy but that is to my ear. Maybe I am the one broken. lol
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

there's a hot mess

i always thought the Mach stereo system was extraordinarily mediocre.

i installed a Pioneer DVD head unit and it took a lot of tweaking to get music to sound decent.
movies actually sound really good.
but like Tkat says, the highs and bass just aren't there for music with the stock speakers.

btw, make sure to set your head unit for 8 ohms (I believe that's what the stock speakers are)
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
jmccormick

If you are trying to go back to factory, I have an entire Mach 460 system with rear deck and amps I can get rid of.

door speakers, tweeters, and the rear deck. I don't have a head unit.

good luck!
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
04DSG4VMach1

Mach 460 system

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccormick View Post
If you are trying to go back to factory, I have an entire Mach 460 system with rear deck and amps I can get rid of.

door speakers, tweeters, and the rear deck. I don't have a head unit.

good luck!

all i needed was door and rear deck speakers and a new mach 460 harness. all of which I found on ebay for $154 shipped.

but thanks.

head unit will be a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
04DSG4VMach1

Mach 460 system

today brought about a lot of progress, but no resolution to the mach 460.

I traced the old hacked up mach 460 harness to the driver side kick panel and removed it. replaced it with the new one.

I have sound from the front left tweeter but not the right. the replacement door speakers had no sound. the rear woofers had sound but not the tweeters.

4 theories.

1.) I have the wrong metra harness (which is a very good possibility considering when I called metra and asked about the pink wires and the 3 brown mute wires and the tech told me that harness shouldnt have those wires and not to use them).

2.) the front door speaker wires were cut somewhere between the door and harness.

3.) I have an error in my wiring.

4.) the front mach 460 amp is missing (which I have yet to verify).

I am leaning towards the wrong harness.

unfortunately someone cut the tweeter speaker wires in the rear soundboard, and ran infinity kappa crossovers and woofers in place of the mach 460 woofers.

stupid **** couldnt have just unplugged it he had to cut it and pull it completely out. unreal. never seen so much mickey ****ing mouse. the tard had no brains or common sense whatsoever and had no clue what he was even doing.

on a good note mgw short throw shifter is in and its insane! the angle is awesome and I got the race handle, super aggressive and shifts awesome. a little notchy but not bad at all. the throws are so short!

1st gear

nuetral

2nd gear

front shot of shifter and the DVD/NAV unit.

I also honestly cant wait to get rid of this nasty *** silver interior upgrade package (front vent bezel, shifter bezel and speedo trim bezel) and get all charcoal in there.

As frustrating as all this is...this is what I love about having a mustang. Working on it, making it the way you want it, reconditioning it and getting things perfect. I'm starting to feel a good solid bond forming with this car. Something I have not felt with any of my cars since my sonic blue 02 gt. make me feel good. A sense of pride in my car. 😊
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
04DSG4VMach1

Mach 460 system

my new Pioneer 6x8's for the door speakers and rear deck and my 3.5" pioneers for my door tweeters have arrived.

fixing the mach460 is hopeless because I cant find the stock wires from the rear and cant tell where he cut them on the door speakers.

so i decided to scrap the mach 460 idea and just put in new speakers and run the wires myself.

pulling the mach 460 soundboard this weekend and running new wires and installing the speakers and wiring up my sub and amp and calling it a day.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Mustanger2

The IUP upgrade is extremely popular & going back to all charcoal is very unusual. But make it your own, I'm sure you will not have any problems selling the IUP package parts.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Procharged2k3

Ugh, the 460 system is a disaster to mess with.
Procharged2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
04DSG4VMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger2 View Post
The IUP upgrade is extremely popular & going back to all charcoal is very unusual. But make it your own, I'm sure you will not have any problems selling the IUP package parts.

had them up for sale on the fb page and svtp and no bites yet. I love the charcoal look. looks sooooo much better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procharged2k3 View Post
Ugh, the 460 system is a disaster to mess with.

pretty much.

Its been a series of plagues with getting audio into this car.

just got all the speakers in and wires ran and my passenger front wouldnt work because of a faulty head unit harness.

driving me crazy, but at least I have something to listen to now with 3 working speakers and the dub and amp. i will survive till the new harness gets here. grrrrr.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

So, the Mach 460 harness you got has a plug on the radio end AND the other end? I'm kinda surprised Ford would pay for a plug that would only be used once during assembly.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
TKat13
Mach-T

Curious to see how you get those 3.5 speakers to fit in the door pods. I thought 2.5 was the biggest that would go in there. Hope it works out for you; post some pics of the progress as I may look into that if it goes well for you.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 10-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
04DSG4VMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
So, the Mach 460 harness you got has a plug on the radio end AND the other end? I'm kinda surprised Ford would pay for a plug that would only be used once during assembly.

yup. i will post a pic of it later

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
Curious to see how you get those 3.5 speakers to fit in the door pods. I thought 2.5 was the biggest that would go in there. Hope it works out for you; post some pics of the progress as I may look into that if it goes well for you.

they didnt fit. sent them back.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #16
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

do not mean to hi jack your thread, but I have a 98 cobra and if I wanted to do the mach 460 head unit, would I just need to get that harness to switch to the 04 harness, to go to the stock head unit?

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
04DSG4VMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH302 View Post
do not mean to hi jack your thread, but I have a 98 cobra and if I wanted to do the mach 460 head unit, would I just need to get that harness to switch to the 04 harness, to go to the stock head unit?

ASh

not sure what you are asking here.