2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Gibs

Trans flush?

Ok so 04 Auto Mach with 78K on it. I don't know the service history of the car prior to 2013. I am contemplating getting the dealership to do a transmission flush vice just a filter and fluid drain. Anyone have experience on this matter? I have heard a trans flush is actually bad and others have said they are good. Just looking for inputs on others that may have done it or even better any mechanics that can explain whether it is a good idea or not. Thanks

Gib
04 AB, Automatic, #2697 of 7182, SLP Xpipe, high flow cats, MAC 2.5 in/3 in tip Catback, AM Light covers, HR Sport Springs, Black Chrome 18in Saleen style
Gibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
fastlane

Re: Trans flush?

There is a belief that if you haven't flushed the transmission at regular intervals, its best not to touch it. The reasoning is that as the internal clutches wear, the friction material is captured withing the fluid. If you go so long that the clutches are fairly worn and you flush the fluid, you will also flush the friction material and the transmission will develop a slip. So, to avoid that, you don't flush the fluid and you just let it roll.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Gibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
There is a belief that if you haven't flushed the transmission at regular intervals, its best not to touch it. The reasoning is that as the internal clutches wear, the friction material is captured withing the fluid. If you go so long that the clutches are fairly worn and you flush the fluid, you will also flush the friction material and the transmission will develop a slip. So, to avoid that, you don't flush the fluid and you just let it roll.
Yeah thats one of the things I was told. I figure if I get it done at Ford, maybe they will warranty their service and fix the transmission if after the flush it fails.

Thanks.

Gib
04 AB, Automatic, #2697 of 7182, SLP Xpipe, high flow cats, MAC 2.5 in/3 in tip Catback, AM Light covers, HR Sport Springs, Black Chrome 18in Saleen style
Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Quote:
Very interesting. Makes sense.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibs View Post
Yeah thats one of the things I was told. I figure if I get it done at Ford, maybe they will warranty their service and fix the transmission if after the flush it fails.

Thanks.

Gib
No way will they warranty it. I'd consider just draining and replacing the filter unless things look real nasty when you drain it...in which case you'd have a dilemma on your hands

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Gibs

sounds like a good plan.

Gibs
Old 02-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

I might be wrong on this but my understanding with the flush the biggest benefit is it gets whatever fluid is in the torque converter, otherwise it just sits there since most oem units don't have drain plugs.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
Darrin
Transmission guy

Go ahead and have Ford flusk it. It's probably the best service you can get for it short of pumping out all the fluid and replacing the filter.

I've never seen a clogged filter and you aren't going to loosen up gunk that will kill the transmission.

D
Old 02-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^^^ the man hath spoken

Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Gibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Go ahead and have Ford flusk it. It's probably the best service you can get for it short of pumping out all the fluid and replacing the filter.

I've never seen a clogged filter and you aren't going to loosen up gunk that will kill the transmission.

D
Well now. I believe the myth is busted that it will mess up a transmission doing a flush. Thanks for the input. This is exactly the advice I was looking for from a resident expert.

Much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
NastyNate

End thread
MAKE STicky!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
matthayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibs View Post

Thanks.

Gib
Not a chance lol but I will throw this out there - If someone comes into our dealership under 70k miles and we do a trans flush with BG products (we only use BG stuff unless otherwise requested) BG offers $2000 in free insurance if anything goes wrong internally with the trans over the next 30k miles. If you use their flush before 36k miles, you get $4000 in insurance if anything goes wrong. The catch is you have to flush again every 30k miles to keep the coverage rolling over.
IG: boostedmach
matthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Gibs

At least there is something there for the transmission if it fails after being serviced. I am not really worried about the transmission too much as the wife uses this as a Spring to fall daily driver only. It doesn't get beat on at a track or raced so hearing that a flush will not mess it up makes me feel better about it anyway. Thanks for all the inputs!

Gibs
Old 02-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
I've heard something similar except it was that fresh fluid will create better (more) pressure than old fluid and this added pressure that the trans hasn't seen since it was new and in overall better condition could cause it to destroy itself. If it's over 75k and hasn't been serviced before, I'd leave it alone.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote