2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
mstangtony

New Build? Rebuild?

So,

I have been thinking of doing a new build or a re build of my current motor. there really isn't anything wrong with it now. its stock. 120K miles. has minor oil leak and one side of the exhaust has a minor putt putt sound.. can't figure out that issue. O2 sensors were replaced. and compression is perfect. drives great.. I have been on the selling the Mach thing, but if it doesn't sell I'm planning on doing a re build. i wanted to get a Terminator, but we will see if things work out.

My main question is, what do you all suggest in a new build or rebuild? my plan is for 800hp. not sure on the money right now, maybe 12K to spend. give me ideas? parts and such? thanks y'all
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Chapka

Re: New Build? Rebuild?

From what I've read the stock WAP blocks won't handle 800. Maybe try looking for a Romeo or teksid block. Romeo is the iron termi block. Teksid is aluminum and 75 lbs lighter
Chapka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstangtony View Post
So,

I have been thinking of doing a new build or a re build of my current motor. there really isn't anything wrong with it now. its stock. 120K miles. has minor oil leak and one side of the exhaust has a minor putt putt sound.. can't figure out that issue. O2 sensors were replaced. and compression is perfect. drives great.. I have been on the selling the Mach thing, but if it doesn't sell I'm planning on doing a re build. i wanted to get a Terminator, but we will see if things work out.

My main question is, what do you all suggest in a new build or rebuild? my plan is for 800hp. not sure on the money right now, maybe 12K to spend. give me ideas? parts and such? thanks y'all
plan on more money than 12k first of all....mostly just because you will need supporting mods to handle that power. 800hp is big number actually. Fuel system comes to mind right off the bat and a new transmission once you break the stock one and you will need a clutch too...IF you have a stick car....OR just plan on an AUTO to start with since 800 HP in a stick on the street OR the track SUCKS big time. (personal experience)
PERSONALLY i would build your (short block min) motor OUTSIDE the car. blocks (teskid) are pretty cheap. REALLY good rods and pistons that depend on WHAT power adder you plan on using. Head work, cams, and all the other items.

I can say just from building a high horsepower car will nickle and dime you.
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

The 05+ 3v block is excellent as well and actually stronger than a teksid

Building a big power car is a pain in the *** and will bleed you dry of $ and sanity if you aren't careful. Many aftermarket parts are NOT bolt on like they claim and often don't do what/as well as they claim either. I did more web research than o care to think about and still am fighting some gremlins. My car is a big crank pulley away from high 700s or maybe more on e85.

12k would get your motor down and then some but not even close to finishing an 800hp build

Fuel system ~$1000 + injectors
Dual disc Clutch and flywheel is another grand easy
31 spline rear - kiss another grand or so good bye
Headers and mid pipe -600-1000
Gaskets, misc bolts, fittings etc will be several hundred more (I spent $75 damned dollars on a special fuel fitting and adapter...)
Big maf sensor is a couple hundred
Pump and race gas dyno tunes from a GOOD tuner is 600+

This is assuming you can do all the labor yourself outside of building the motor, if you can't you really better be ready to bend over

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
mstangtony

Understand where all of you are coming from.

I been told to try out a coyote motor and do upgrades to it and go turbo or twin turbo. make my power that way. i could go 15K but I'm not trying to go too much more than i can get a Terminator for. I could sell my Mach for at least 11,800 and get another 15 to buy a nice Termi.. others tell me to just build since the mach is in great shape and paint. thats why I'm looking at options. lol
Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Unless you just really enjoy the build process (like me), then you'll be far better off buying a built car and let someone else eat the cost. Even so, be sure what you buy is actually fully built or it will still nickle and dime you to death. Ask me how I know.
800hp is a big number for this platform. You'll need a cage for the track, and numerous safety equipment upgrades and chassis reinforcements. The newer coyotes throw that number around like it's nothing, but that much power in our cars means broken parts.
Either dial back the power level goal, or dial up the budget. For a reliable 800hp car that will hold up to significant track abuse without breaking expect to pay upwards of $30K even for a car as old as ours.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyak View Post
Unless you just really enjoy the build process (like me), then you'll be far better off buying a built car and let someone else eat the cost. Even so, be sure what you buy is actually fully built or it will still nickle and dime you to death. Ask me how I know.
800hp is a big number for this platform. You'll need a cage for the track, and numerous safety equipment upgrades and chassis reinforcements. The newer coyotes throw that number around like it's nothing, but that much power in our cars means broken parts. Either dial back the power level goal, or dial up the budget. For a reliable 800hp car that will hold up to significant track abuse without breaking expect to pay upwards of $30K even for a car as old as ours.
I have highlighted the main areas.....
lol. yes....breaking parts is just part of it. transmission/clutch...rearends...twisting a car is fun too...lol
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
Old 07-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
mstangtony

How exciting! lol.. yeah from what all of you have been mentioning. I suppose selling it and buying the terminator I want is more logical. if it has the power, hey all the better, but if not and its stock i'm fine with that and I can do small things here and there. the motor on that being the same as a Mach has better internals. i'm ok with that too.. only reason I have brought this up is because I made this mach 1 look good lol and everyone would hate for me to let it go.. so I been thinking if I can make good power with it and keep it.. im game.. yeah 800 is a lot.. I can be ok with 700 LOL still a lot.. I just has this ting where ive always wanted 777hprw..
Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

honestly, as much fun as big power is, theres something to be said for less (to a degree, theres definitely a happy medium).

I make over 600 on pump and you only get to lean on it for a few seconds before you're in danger of earning a set of silver bracelets. With a lower amount of power you get to actually drive the car hard and dont have so much worry about breaking something, breaking traction if you think about the throttle wrong etc...

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
honestly, as much fun as big power is, theres something to be said for less (to a degree, theres definitely a happy medium).

I make over 600 on pump and you only get to lean on it for a few seconds before you're in danger of earning a set of silver bracelets. With a lower amount of power you get to actually drive the car hard and dont have so much worry about breaking something, breaking traction if you think about the throttle wrong etc...
totally agree.....450-500...boosted power was right around the sweet spot... perfect with 93 octane....great daily and is fun as hell.
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
solreaver

Im at 12-13 grand and counting pistons and rods arp bolts headers gaskets machine work catted x pipe fuel up grades intake spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
1457476329512.jpg   1457476331453.jpg   1457649050851.jpg  
solreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
totally agree.....450-500...boosted power was right around the sweet spot... perfect with 93 octane....great daily and is fun as hell.
Yep!!
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
mstangtony

I guess I must be over doing it with how much power I'm asking. well lets see how the selling goes. thanks all!