2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
tjmaxx

Mach 1 vs coyote vs terminator vs g8 gt....

So I sold my 96 gt back in 2012 and planned on buying another mustang but life got busy and I bought other toys. So now I'm back to looking at buying another car to use as a weekend street car, car show, track, and just a tinker toy I guess. With that being said I planned on going fox body 5.0 but the wife would prefer I get something newer that would be better for driving the family in (wife and 4 month old daughter). Terminator is my dream car but prices are so high I could probably get a coyote for a quite a bit cheaper or a Mach 1 for even cheaper. I saw a nice modded g8 gt that kinda through a curve ball for me.

Questions:

Which car for the needs I described?

What does it take to get a Mach 1 into let's say the 11's vs what it takes to get the other cars going that fast?

Thanks
tjmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
bluoval

Re: Mach 1 vs coyote vs terminator vs g8 gt....

A nitrous system or Pro-Charger would turn a Mach 1 into an 11 second car. Nitrous would be the cheaper route.
bluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Hpstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
A nitrous system or Pro-Charger would turn a Mach 1 into an 11 second car. Nitrous would be the cheaper route.
What he said.
2004 Mach 1 torch red, 5 speed, Borla stingers, off road Mac ss pro chamber, k&n drop in,sct x4 with custom dyno tune 308 rwhp 324 rwtq upr delete puck, MM flsfc, wild rides upper and lower torque box reinforcement kit. MGW shifter with standard handle, speed of sound pillar with dual aeroforce gauges,Bullitts black polished lip 17x8 front 17x10.50 nitto 555r's 315/35/17, smoked tail lights,smoked 3rd brake light. Engine dress up parts. It's only just the beginning procharger coming soon
Hpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
tjmaxx

I'm really starting to narrow it down to Mach 1 or g8 gt as I don't want to spend $20k +. I've always loved the look of a Mach 1 just not sold on stock performance so I know I need to order parts immediately, same goes for the g8.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

Just throwing this out there. Not sure if it makes a big difference or not. There's no way in hell my son's Recaro car seat will fit in the back of my Mach 1 rear facing with an adult sitting in front of it. I can't wait until it can go forward facing so we can take it more as a family. The law here in PA is rear facing until 2 years old.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
tjmaxx

That is a difference maker. I want to be able to enjoy it as a family and since we plan to have atleast one more kid I could be looking at 3-4 years before we could have forward facing car seat. The g8 is growing on me a lot even if I eventually trade it in for a mustang when the kids are old enough... Decisions
Old 08-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmaxx View Post
That is a difference maker. I want to be able to enjoy it as a family and since we plan to have atleast one more kid I could be looking at 3-4 years before we could have forward facing car seat. The g8 is growing on me a lot even if I eventually trade it in for a mustang when the kids are old enough... Decisions
I traded my 99 Z28 in 2000 for the reasons you are facing; 2 car seats. I traded for a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged). I had the GTP running high 13s, not bad for a 4 door, grocery getting, car seat hauling car but it just wasnt the same as 2 door muscle.

In 2009 I was in a different position in life and bought the Mach.

Not telling you what to do but having BTDT, unless you have 2 cars that will haul 2 carseats and the mustang as a toy, get something with 4 doors. We tried it for a while but it got old fast.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
tjmaxx

I daily drive a f150 crew cab which we do most of the driving in. My wife has a 4 door bmw which is fine for car seats also. Only problem is see with the mustang would be convenience. I could see us not driving it cause of the effort it would take to get a car seat in the back and instead just take the truck. Next thing I know I'll be the only one driving the mustang and only when I'm by myself which will end up being almost never. I drop my daughter off and pick her up during the week so I'm always hauling her around. I could see using the g8 but maybe not the stang due to bringing diaper bags, car seat, stroller etc... I plan to test drive a g8 this week and see how I like it. My plan is to drive hopefully a g8, coyote, Mach 1 and a terminator before the winter comes so I can use the winter to decide what I really want and then come spring pick something up. Unless of course I find a killer deal I can't pass up. I'd like to try a g8 gxp with the manual trans and 6.2 ls3 but they are way too proud of those, most go for mid 20's all the way up to $40k.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
sutyak
it's soo-tack

I waited until both kids were in forward-facing car seats before even considering another RWD V8. There are plenty of fun 4 doors out there that have a reasonable back seat.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

Quote:
I daily drive a f150 crew cab which we do most of the driving in. My wife has a 4 door bmw which is fine for car seats also. Only problem is see with the mustang would be convenience. I could see us not driving it cause of the effort it would take to get a car seat in the back and instead just take the truck. Next thing I know I'll be the only one driving the mustang and only when I'm by myself which will end up being almost never. I drop my daughter off and pick her up during the week so I'm always hauling her around. I could see using the g8 but maybe not the stang due to bringing diaper bags, car seat, stroller etc... I plan to test drive a g8 this week and see how I like it. My plan is to drive hopefully a g8, coyote, Mach 1 and a terminator before the winter comes so I can use the winter to decide what I really want and then come spring pick something up. Unless of course I find a killer deal I can't pass up. I'd like to try a g8 gxp with the manual trans and 6.2 ls3 but they are way too proud of those, most go for mid 20's all the way up to $40k.
I'm in the same boat right now. I don't drive my Mustang very much because of it. I always drive my f150 super crew because of convenience. But in a few years my son will be old enough.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
tjmaxx

I'm thinking maybe g8 for a few years then back to a mustang?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
rsnider

Not to give the "Enemy" props... but what about an older CTS-V? Great family car and with just a few mod's could be a real screamer.

Maybe you could find a older guy who babied it and kept it in good shape.
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkrTexasRngr View Post
Just throwing this out there. Not sure if it makes a big difference or not. There's no way in hell my son's Recaro car seat will fit in the back of my Mach 1 rear facing with an adult sitting in front of it. I can't wait until it can go forward facing so we can take it more as a family. The law here in PA is rear facing until 2 years old.
I couldn't get my son's car seat to fit reverse facing in the foxbody I had years ago either. I just put it forward facing. I figure it was better than the way I traveled in cars as a kid haha.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
tjmaxx

We'll I test drove a g8 gt today. They had two at my local Chevy dealer both 2009's silver one had 138k miles and they want $13,900 for it. The body had some good scratches and normal wear you would expect for the miles and had a tear in the drivers seat. The other one was black and had 52k miles for $22k basically mint and they knew it! I opted to drive the one with higher miles, reason being it is more realistic to what I'm looking at in my price range. I feel like I could find a better deal for sure though. Overall the car drove nice and felt tight. The power was... Exactly what I expected. Felt good for a 4 door car and had decent power. I didn't mind the auto trans not being a stick shift which I was worried about. It definitely isn't "fast" but quick. Both cars were 100% stock to my knowledge. I plan to drive a cts v 1st gen and sts v to compare to. Overall I could see the g8 as the right car for me.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
mr-proper

Quote:
So I sold my 96 gt back in 2012 and planned on buying another mustang but life got busy and I bought other toys. So now I'm back to looking at buying another car to use as a weekend street car, car show, track, and just a tinker toy I guess. With that being said I planned on going fox body 5.0 but the wife would prefer I get something newer that would be better for driving the family in (wife and 4 month old daughter). Terminator is my dream car but prices are so high I could probably get a coyote for a quite a bit cheaper or a Mach 1 for even cheaper. I saw a nice modded g8 gt that kinda through a curve ball for me.

Questions:

Which car for the needs I described?

What does it take to get a Mach 1 into let's say the 11's vs what it takes to get the other cars going that fast?

Thanks
my wife drives her g8 gt daily.
perfect family car, you cant ask for a better family sedan with some power.
love it.
wife's g8
DSC_0079 by mr proper, on Flickr
mr-proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Great looking G8.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
tjmaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-proper View Post
my wife drives her g8 gt daily.
perfect family car, you cant ask for a better family sedan with some power.
love it.
wife's g8
DSC_0079 by mr proper, on Flickr
How does it compare power wise to your Mach 1? Have you had it down the track?