2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "Show" Discussions > Accessories - Non Performance type add-ons

Accessories - Non Performance type add-ons Found any cool accessories for your Mach 1? NON Performance add-ons.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
ssnake-oyl Rod

one more chip!

I ordered some touch up paint for the Mach 1 today!
I think I have six chips now. The largest is next to the shaker! About the size of a pencil eraser! I am soooo Pi**ed. Does someone make a stripe that covers the entire hood? My service manager said the composit hood is the problem. I have no other chips on the car. I think Ford should fix the problem. What do you guys think? ( I still love her thoe.)
Old 09-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
GRB60

The Mach 1 owner in me says that they ought to fix her up for you.

Then again, the paint chipped when something hit it, and that isn't the dealer's fault.

Good luck with your dealer!
Old 09-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Mach1Mark
American Muscle

Mine had 29 miles on her when I drove it off the lot. Paint was perfect.... well NO chips anyway. I drove it maybe 5 miles around town and then headed to another town about 15 miles north of here to show it off to my daughter. As we walked around to the front of the car I noticed 2 chips on the hood very near the front!

I have since had 2 more near the same location. Good news though. I had a factory defect in the paint on the roof line molding (drivers side only), between the two pieces where they meet near the back side window. The paint didn't cover down in the gap. My dealer had their paint guy fix that at no charge of course and as a bonus he touched up all of my chips. looks pretty darn good now. :HOPPY:

He told me that it takes nearly 7 years for paint to completely cure so that is it as hard as it's going to get!

Anti-theft valve stem caps by Spincaps
Mach 1 ID plates by Gary Loat
Mach 1 floor mats by CDC
3/4" Shaker Scoop Extension by M1R
"Gripper" trunk mat by Ssnake-Oyl
Most of the Billet interior pieces from MGW
Diablo Predator

THE SURGEON GENERAL SAYS SMOKING RICE IS OK
Mach1Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
nofear1961

paint

Ford had some problems with paint chipping, particularly on the hood. I don't know if it was limited to the Torch Red cars. Ford International called me within the 1st month of purchasing the car, and asked all kinds of questions. Shortly after, I also had alot of chips in the hood. The service mgr. looked at the car, and verified I had something going on besides rock chips. Stuck her fingernail under the chip and peeled paint. Although I almost freaked when she did this, she said that if it were a rock chip, she wouldn't be able to do that. They set up an appt. to have the hood painted, and have had no problem since. Their body shop did an outstanding job at no charge to me.Can't even tell it has been painted. Don't waste your time with touch up paint.
nofear1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
Sapperstang

Get used to it. This is not a Mach 1 problem but rather a Ford problem. Ford hardly uses any paint on these cars. You should of seen the nose on my 03 GT with 33K on it when I traded it in. Chipped all to hell. I have a few chips on the Mach already too.
K&N filter
SLP Loudmouth catback
Sapperstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
ssnake-oyl Rod

Called the dealership on Friday to see if they had time to look at my chips. I have one that grows each time I wash the car. It is approx. 3/8" wide by 1 1/2" long ! The service manager said they had one other mustang that had a chip like this one. They are going to repaint the hood on Oct. 4th, that`s a relief it looks like crap! The paint seems real thick not thin like the other problems I have heard of. I will let ya`ll know how it turns out.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Mach1Mark
American Muscle

I hope it turns out well for ya Rod.

My chips are very small caused by flying rocks or somekind of debris I would guess. They didn't grow!

Anti-theft valve stem caps by Spincaps
Mach 1 ID plates by Gary Loat
Mach 1 floor mats by CDC
3/4" Shaker Scoop Extension by M1R
"Gripper" trunk mat by Ssnake-Oyl
Most of the Billet interior pieces from MGW
Diablo Predator

THE SURGEON GENERAL SAYS SMOKING RICE IS OK
Mach1Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
2QUICK

I have chip places on my hood as well but I can't help but wonder if they are actually caused by rocks. How many people that complain of having chipped hoods also have chips on the fenders, roof line or the windshield? How can hoods be chipped and nothing else? I personally think that it is defective paint or improper components being used such as the chemicals in the paint and/or hood not bonding properly. If mine continues, somebody is going to repaint it at Fords expense. Too much money to pay for paint to be coming off with such low mileage. My car is an '03 w/only 4500 miles and is usually only driven to car shows/cruise-ins.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
ssnake-oyl Rod

On my big chip the paint is like it is not sticking to the hood. It kind of looks like when you crack an egg open, a lot of fragmented chips about 1/8" by 1/8" all around the chipped out area. It started out as a small rock chip and grew into a Monster!!
I have a white 95 mustang convertable that is also having paint problems. I have had the passenger door painted and the area above the windshield. Two weeks later it was the driver side door. It was a blister that started from a rock chip and now is 5" wide and 14" long!!! Great paint jobs!!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
steven
it's shaken...not stirred

Re: paint

Quote:
Originally posted by nofear1961
Ford had some problems with paint chipping, particularly on the hood. I don't know if it was limited to the Torch Red cars. Ford International called me within the 1st month of purchasing the car, and asked all kinds of questions. Shortly after, I also had alot of chips in the hood. The service mgr. looked at the car, and verified I had something going on besides rock chips. Stuck her fingernail under the chip and peeled paint. Although I almost freaked when she did this, she said that if it were a rock chip, she wouldn't be able to do that. They set up an appt. to have the hood painted, and have had no problem since. Their body shop did an outstanding job at no charge to me.Can't even tell it has been painted. Don't waste your time with touch up paint.
i agree. i had a 00 v6 and a 02 v6 , both had paint come off the hood IN THE SAME PLACE! it was very bad , you could see the fiberglass. glad to have the mach now
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #11
hockeymonkey83

I had what looked like 3 rub marks on the back bumper right at the wheal well, they were down to the black on the bumper, talk to my dealer and there touch up guy did a great job on fixing it, cant even tell
my .02
hockeymonkey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:49 PM   #12
steven
it's shaken...not stirred

Re: one more chip!

Quote:
Originally posted by ssnake-oyl Rod
I ordered some touch up paint for the Mach 1 today!
I think I have six chips now. The largest is next to the shaker! About the size of a pencil eraser! I am soooo Pi**ed. Does someone make a stripe that covers the entire hood? My service manager said the composit hood is the problem. I have no other chips on the car. I think Ford should fix the problem. What do you guys think? ( I still love her thoe.)
there is no decaL STRIPE TO FIT, BUT YOU CAN GET THE FLAT BLACK PAINTEDC ON
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #13
ssnake-oyl Rod

I am picking up the Mach today after work. They have had it since the 4th! They have not been able to find a replacement stripe for the hood!!! What is with that? I told them to call me when they find one. Maybe I will have the hood painted something other than black, and then put it back on. It will be Great to get it back!:HOPPY: Hope it looks good.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
ssnake-oyl Rod

The paint job is great! It is way better then factory. Still no word from the dealership on the replacement stripe. I may leave it with the plain black hood until I can find some kind of a sticker.
Silver would look good. " Ram Air " " Shaker " or something! ?