2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
Procharged2k3

Am I the only one this happens to?

Does anybody else constantly get yelled at in neighborhoods to "SLOW THAT SON OF A ***** DOWN!!!" when you're going below the speed limit? I've never had this happen until I got my Mach a couple of months ago, but it's happened 3 times now in it! Seriously, I'm cruising at 22 or 23 in a 25, in third so I'm not making a ton of noise but I still get idiots yelling SLOW DOWN at me and making that motion where they're like pushing down toward the ground with their palms flat.

It's f'n annoying, lol. I want to stop and give them a piece of my mind, but I just ignore it. Kind of pisses me off because I purposely go very slow in neighborhoods because I'm conscious that children might be playing or a dog might run out into the street, then I get bitched at for being courteous. Then these same assholes are probably the ones driving 10 over the limit on the same road in their big *** trucks and minivans.

Sigh.

Curiously, it never happened once when I had my last car, a laser red '99 GT with fairly loud exhaust... and I had it for a year and a half.
Procharged2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Re: Am I the only one this happens to?

No. Has not happened to me, and I can't make a call on your situation without being present.

I live close to a lot older folks, everything moves fast to them lol.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Procharged2k3

My situation was legit, very much going under the speed limit. If I was in the wrong I wouldn't be complaining! And yes coincidentally every time it was an old man.

(a different old man each time)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

I've had it happen a few times...noisy car = must be going fast

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #5
01yellerCobra

Never been told to slow down, but I have gotten a dirty look or two. I'm the one that goes through the neighborhood at 15-20mph because I'm worried about a kid running out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
mikeracing
MECHANIC

yes i get this quite often but it usually has to do with a loud exhaust and driving in a gear lower than 5th!

I also take corners on our mountain country road at the speed limit or at a speed that i feel safe! which is much faster than other people feel safe but i dont leave my lane and i wont drive that way on blind corners anyways because many people feel that driving down the center of the road is ok.
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

I've had it happen to me often, in one particular part of my neighborhood. I think there is someone buzzing that area with another red SN95 Mustang that has them ticked off.
I usually get pretty much thumbs up from everyone else for the Mach and the Boss.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

I get it all the time. I live in the hills and there are no sidewalks. people walk their dogs and yell at me all the time while going 15-20. Sometimes I'll stop and ask them how fast should I be going. Sometimes I just get pissed and remind them that this is a street, not a sidewalk.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
Procharged2k3

^ I like this. I'm going to ask how fast they want me to go, then see if they believe me when I tell them I was going even slower.

Today I was cruising in third at 15 MPH. I STILL had a couple people glaring at me... like "I'm watching you, buddy"

Glad I'm not the only one who gets this crap all the time, makes me feel better about it lol.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
mach1 03

I used to get that all the time! The Mach was my first car and everyone wanted to tell me how to drive it. Like others have said, I was almost always going significantly slower than the speed limit when told to slow down.

The worst was when I was while I was in undergrad. The school garage was attached to apartments. I would keep it in first and admittedly give it a little extra rev ovation ally?", but I always drive. Erg slow when people were around or there was excess cars.
However one day I had the property manager chafe me down in his truck and stopped me while walking to class. He yelled at me and told me I better slow down or he would ban me from the garage. I asked him how fast I was going and how fast he wanted me to go. He didn't know and just said that he litterly got calls daily about me driving too fast in the garage.
I told him he should be more worried about all of the idiots flying around the corners going into incoming traffic and that he should put mirrors on the corners. After he calmed down and admitted that even if I was speeding (rarely) that I wasn't the only one, we came to the mutual conclusion that people were probably complaining because of the noise.
I agreed to keep it in second in the garage and he never bothered me again. Funny part was that I actually drove faster in second, but no one complained.

On a side note, when they first opened the garage (before apartments were built) it was completely empty and I would fly through it. In once had a civic full of construction workers tailgate and rev behind me because I was going to slow on the first floor. After having enough I punched it and raced up to the 7th floor hitting almost 70 and sliding around every turn. When the civic finally caught up the passengers were laughing at the driver and told me he probably wouldn't try that again. Probably not the smartest on my part, but it was a lot of fun and the garage was completely empty above the first floor.

Lol. Typing on my phone and didn't realize how much I typed.
mach1 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
fiveliter
14 Year Reg Member

Most people confuse a loud exhaust with traveling at high rate of speed. So even though most of us are obeying the speed limit, the uninformed masses hear the exhaust note of our Machs and assume that we must be exceeded the speed limit. I just give the hand gestures right back when I see them.
1993 Mustang 5.0 notch - sold
1997 Mustang GT - traded in
1994 Mustang GT conv - sold
2003 Mustang Mach 1 - current
2010 Harley Davidson XL883N - current
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - current
Best ET 13.59@103MPH
fiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveliter View Post
Most people confuse a loud exhaust with traveling at high rate of speed. So even though most of us are obeying the speed limit, the uninformed masses hear the exhaust note of our Machs and assume that we must be exceeded the speed limit. I just give the hand gestures right back when I see them.
...even the cops. I left my GF house one night and she has a cop and a sherriff live across the street, I pulled out her driveway and was doing about 15 mph in first, cop was setup on the corner with radar as I went by he yelled (we both had windows done), Slow down", I yelled back I am only doing f***ing 15". I get dirty looks on the highway, but true car people will say how awesome your car sounds...I would get a pair of earplugs and put in his mail box as a present.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
Procharged2k3

Yeah, I have gotten a lot more compliments than SLOW DOWNs. Haters gonna hate I guess.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveliter View Post
This is very true, people have already decided I'm going to fast as soon as they hear my exhaust before they even see me. I've also stopped and explained to people that loud doesn't mean fast. These are the same neighbors that speed around the hills in their quiet crossovers and Priuses.