2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 12-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
NastyNate

Engine removal

Well I have a blown head gasket and im pulling the engine out. Im take the whole thing engine and tranny out at once. What the best/easiest way out AND IN the top of out the bottom?? it'll be in a home garage have cherry picker w/load leveler and 3 flat dollies 8 jackstand and 2 jacks. I have read many write ups on removing it both ways.

Any extras tips you have feel free. Ill start a build thread once I actually get this thing rolling. Still trying to find a reputable local machine shop for the monster build! The goal is to have this complete in a month...yeah I know wishful thinking!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
littlemags
finally paid for

Re: Engine removal

I really have gone out the bottom. To me that was always easier. Raising car is toughest to get engine out from bottom but if you have cherry picker it can be done. A trans dolly helps swing the cradle and suspension w engine as one assembly out from under easier
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

ive gone out and back in the bottom 3 times (well, in the middle of the 3rd time, its come out but not gone back in again)

If you dont have long tubes Id be tempted to come out the top

Ive done it in my garage with basically what you have + transmission jack. I was able to snag a piece of bar stock from work and put it through the crash bumper then put a chain around it and used the cherry picker to lift the car off the engine and trans. How youd attach the cherry picker would be the biggest challenge.

I put 2 stands under the rear end. then lowered the front of the car as low as I was comfortable with using the normal jack under the k-member and put jack stands under the aftermarket subframe connectors. I left the jack under the K-member and put the trans jack under the trans and hooked the cherry picker to the crash bar to hold the body in place. Me and a buddy each took a jack and lowered the engine/trans down, put the k-member down on a set of metal wheel dollies from harbor freight.

With the pass side wheel well liner removed I used the cherry picker to pick the body up and rolled everything out the pass side (had to remove the shifter handle on the trans to make it easier).

going out the bottom means separating the tie rod ends (use the press in the loaner program at your local auto parts store, its far easier than a pickle fork and wont damage the boots), hanging the PS rack off the radiator support along with the brakes and sway bar that coming out the top doesnt involve

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
matthayn

I recently did this in a standard two car garage with limited space and height. I didn't even try to take the trans out with the engine though. Jacked the car up as high and possible on all four jack stands, dropped the trans and slid it out (you will have very tight space doing this and yes it is sketchy), put the car back on the ground then pull the engine from the top.

Pulling just the engine from the top was cake, even going back in with longtubes was much easier than expected. Just go slow, get the right angle, back, down, back, down, etc...

Good luck on your teardown/build!
IG: boostedmach
matthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^^ Ive seen it posted that not all long tubes clear in and out the top, just putting it out there. I have kooks and kept seeing them come up as not clearing well so it furthered my decision to come out the bottom. My garage ceiling isnt high enough for a lift but I still had plenty of height to come out the bottom with the hood on/up

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
matthayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
^^^ Ive seen it posted that not all long tubes clear in and out the top, just putting it out there. I have kooks and kept seeing them come up as not clearing well so it furthered my decision to come out the bottom. My garage ceiling isnt high enough for a lift but I still had plenty of height to come out the bottom with the hood on/up
Agreed! I can only speak for Mac LT's... fitment is good, no issue going in from the top, steering shaft went back in well, not too close to starter.

It would be nice to have something like a spreadsheet of every LT header available for 4v cars, and have people give input on their experience with each, fitment, clearance, finish, installation, etc... or there might be something out there like this already. Just a thought.
IG: boostedmach
matthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
lonestarbullitt

I was spoiled and had access to a car lift, but one thing I did that might make your life easier, I dropped the full k-member, engine and trans assembly onto a piano dolly. Take everything loose from the engine and trans until the only holding that sucker in is the 8 k-member bolts. Lower the car onto the dolly until the dolly is holding some of the weight from the assembly or just contacting. Slowly loosen the k-member bolts evenly which should slowly lower the k-member until it takes on all the weight from the whole assembly. If you have your bolts loosened quite a bit and they still have tension, then you can lower the car a little more until the weight is off the bolts. Once you have all the bolts out, jack the car back up and roll the assembly out as one.

Good luck with everything!
lonestarbullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarbullitt View Post
I was spoiled and had access to a car lift, but one thing I did that might make your life easier, I dropped the full k-member, engine and trans assembly onto a piano dolly. Take everything loose from the engine and trans until the only holding that sucker in is the 8 k-member bolts. Lower the car onto the dolly until the dolly is holding some of the weight from the assembly or just contacting. Slowly loosen the k-member bolts evenly which should slowly lower the k-member until it takes on all the weight from the whole assembly. If you have your bolts loosened quite a bit and they still have tension, then you can lower the car a little more until the weight is off the bolts. Once you have all the bolts out, jack the car back up and roll the assembly out as one.

Good luck with everything!
That is pretty much my way.
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
littlemags
finally paid for

And now that I have removable front radiator support it will be even easier to slide.out bottom.
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
NastyNate

Thanx for all the info guys! I decided drop it out the bottom.
Got all the stuff up top disconnect. gonna go underneath and remove the drivesharft and x pipe first thing this am .
I noticed people having problems hitting the garage door with the cherry picker so I pulled the car in forward. Butt that doesnt leave for enough rooms for the legs of the cherry picker to clear the engine. SO plan is to open the garage door roll the car back a few feet then jack it back up to remove the clip.
SO far its not bad at all.... took my time and took pictures and tagged things.

still looking for a place to buy pistons and rods that are off the shelf and close to the spec I want. Im on a bit of a time crunch and with the holidays its not helping!!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote