2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
AMCSMACH
Respect All, Fear None!

How to tell when cats go bad?

My Magnaflow catted X is reaching 3 yrs old and I'm thinking my cats may be clogged. I've read several posts on another forum about the "skunk" smell after heavy acceleration which is generally caused by clogged cats. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? If the problem is with the cats what would be the best route to go, get new cats or simply do a cat delete? I do not have to pass any state inspections where I live and I'm always wanting more power.
Andy
Mod List-Steeda Tri-ax, Steeda CAI, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda G Trac Brace, PHP Spacer, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Magnaflow Catback, Hotchkis CC Plates, DS Loop, Moser 28's, 410's w/welded tubes, MM Full Subs, MT ET Streets, SCT Tuner

12.77 @ 111 Mph
1.89 60 ft
AMCSMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Fastbandit99
Back in Black

Re: How to tell when cats go bad?

I had a cat go bad one day when I was giving it a bath, it bit me right to the bone. I lifted my arm and the cat was hanging by it's teeth, it almost drowned, but because I knew my kids would hate me it still lives today.....

Sorry
Fastbandit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
AMCSMACH
Respect All, Fear None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post
down on power.....rattling.....HOTer
Down on power?, No. Rattling?, No. Hotter than normal? Yes. It seems that the mufflers don't get near as hot as they used to but the cats get hotter. Is there any other tests I can do? If I do decide to delete the cats do you feel that it will increase or decrease my power level? I know it will flow more freely but I've also read that in some cases deleting cats have caused some loss in HP due to the decreased back pressure the engine needs.
Andy
Mod List-Steeda Tri-ax, Steeda CAI, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda G Trac Brace, PHP Spacer, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Magnaflow Catback, Hotchkis CC Plates, DS Loop, Moser 28's, 410's w/welded tubes, MM Full Subs, MT ET Streets, SCT Tuner

12.77 @ 111 Mph
1.89 60 ft
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
AMCSMACH
Respect All, Fear None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbandit99 View Post
I had a cat go bad one day when I was giving it a bath, it bit me right to the bone. I lifted my arm and the cat was hanging by it's teeth, it almost drowned, but because I knew my kids would hate me it still lives today....

Sorry
I can appreciate your humor, a little lame but appreciated!

12.77 @ 111 Mph
1.89 60 ft
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Charles236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbandit99 View Post
I had a cat go bad one day when I was giving it a bath, it bit me right to the bone. I lifted my arm and the cat was hanging by it's teeth, it almost drowned, but because I knew my kids would hate me it still lives today.....

Sorry
Better to go with "disposable" pets, like goldfish or hamsters. No bathing them, when they croak you can flush them and get another one before the kids get wise to the critter dying.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
MyLittlePony
OG Mach1Misfit

Here is an example of what to look for....

MyLittlePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCSMACH View Post
Down on power?, No. Rattling?, No. Hotter than normal? Yes. It seems that the mufflers don't get near as hot as they used to but the cats get hotter. Is there any other tests I can do? If I do decide to delete the cats do you feel that it will increase or decrease my power level? I know it will flow more freely but I've also read that in some cases deleting cats have caused some loss in HP due to the decreased back pressure the engine needs.
Andy
O/R midpipes will generally have higher HP and lower TQ numbers than those of a catted midpipe....depends on what you are looking for..TQ or HP, and what sound you want.

If your cats are going bad after 3 years..I would be shocked. Even the rattling could be a sign of 'cooling' off.

BTW - the skunk smell could be the tune....(A/F ratio). Might want to have that double checked.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
AMCSMACH
Respect All, Fear None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
O/R midpipes will generally have higher HP and lower TQ numbers than those of a catted midpipe....depends on what you are looking for..TQ or HP, and what sound you want.

If your cats are going bad after 3 years..I would be shocked. Even the rattling could be a sign of 'cooling' off.

BTW - the skunk smell could be the tune....(A/F ratio). Might want to have that double checked.
Thanks for the input, I will look into those issues.
AC

12.77 @ 111 Mph
1.89 60 ft
Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
gotmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePony View Post
Here is an example of what to look for....

thats funny.. i set it as a backround on my desktop
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
og556

I don't know if this would apply to your car but coming from another modular ford community I have noticed a trend in Magnaflow cat's going out after a short period of time (usually 12 months or so with LT's) but I dont know if this would apply to your car since you dont have LT's and I don't know enough about Mach's yet.
og556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
4a7191a

the gas mileage will suffer from a bad cat, you could get it sniff tested, or call magnaflow and see how good that 1,000,000 mile warrenty really is.

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
J1MJ1M
machsp33d

^ idk my buddy just had his magnaflow x's cats randomly go on his cobra too...

new mach comp
J1MJ1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
dantheratman

this should tell ya when they are bad.....LOL, pics are from one of my best buds kooks cats, but he is runnin a pretty b/a setup...............http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...yed-81383.html
dantheratman is offline   Reply With Quote