2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
AzureMach03

Off Road X pipe, fizzle on deceleration?

I have tried for a long time to figure out this sound my off road x pipe makes on deceleration. I thought it was a leak but finally determined that its just the sound the x pipe makes when I let off the throttle. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? I am thinking of changing to an h pipe to get rid of it. Any experience? Let me know!

03 Black Mach- Sold
00 Lightning- Sold
03 AB Mach- Sold
AzureMach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
dark-knight

Re: Off Road X pipe, fizzle on deceleration?

i only have an x-pipe with stock mufflers and the only sound i get is the little pops and whatnot when downshifting...i dont hear any fizzling..
dark-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

X-pipes tend to be more raspy than H-pipes.

It might just be a loose hanger that is loose.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
04Mach1Blurr
Machinator

I think my x pipe -with cats- is either loose or something. When im off the gas it seems like a rattle like tin or something, and it drives me crazy
2004 D.S.G. Mach 1 Mustang I.U.P.(01/22/2004)-04 Cobra Longblock- Posi Ported M122 GT500 Blower - BF 2.93 Upper - 4lb Lower -MGW STS-Bassani cattless X pipe- Borla Stinger Catback-Steeda Bump Steer kit-MM CCs- MM Coilovers 350lb spring- LFP Heat-exchanger- 1inch Shaker Spacer-03 Cobra IRS with FTBR's Full Bushings kit-BF Diff Brace-3:55 gears -T56 Tranzilla- cut 04 coupe rear springs-Viper Remote Start/Alarm system-Ipod Auxilary-SLP LL-Tune coming soon
04Mach1Blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Not really sure what kind of sound you mean, but some thoughts...

Check all connections in the exhaust that aren't welded. Check the o2 sensors (make sure they aren't loose). Try to see for sure that it is not an exhaust leak, particularly on the passenger side manifold connection - the side with the gasket. Hopefully you have the sleeve thing installed in the drivers side connection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Mach1Blurr View Post
I think my x pipe -with cats- is either loose or something. When im off the gas it seems like a rattle like tin or something, and it drives me crazy
Assuming your cats didn't go bad or something, something probably is loose. My exhaust loosens up over time, and I can hear it too. It gets tinny sounding. It sounds much smoother and clean after tightening everything up. It's the downside of bolt in exhaust.

MGW Shifter : SCT : Pypes O/R X : Magnapack cat-back : K&N Filter : H&R SS Springs : Tokico D-specs : MM CC Plates : Anthracite Shelby Torq-Thrust M 17x9 -- Falken RT615 275/40
R.Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
AzureMach03

here is a video, i assure you there is no exhaust leak i have checked everything. So what do u guys think?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...lip_211099.htm

03 Black Mach- Sold
00 Lightning- Sold
03 AB Mach- Sold
Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Ghost Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureMach03 View Post
here is a video, i assure you there is no exhaust leak i have checked everything. So what do u guys think?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...lip_211099.htm
it's more than likely just the nature of the pipe...you can hear the gas's rifling through the O/R x's and H's but to the same extent...if that's the sound your hearing...
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
fiveliter
14 Year Reg Member

Sounds fine to me.
1993 Mustang 5.0 notch - sold
1997 Mustang GT - traded in
1994 Mustang GT conv - sold
2003 Mustang Mach 1 - current
2010 Harley Davidson XL883N - current
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - current
Best ET 13.59@103MPH
fiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

The noise you hear is the exhaust pulses crossing in the X -pipe. This is not heard as much in an H-pipe because of the tube between the 2 pipes that helps equalizes the pressure waves.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112

Last edited by rich1; 12-16-2009 at 10:04 PM.
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
AzureMach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
The noise you hear is the exhaust pulses crossing in the X -pipe. This is not heard as much in an X-pipe because of the tube between the 2 pipes that helps equalizes the pressure waves.
Well it is an x pipe haha, i guess i will just have to deal with it!

03 Black Mach- Sold
00 Lightning- Sold
03 AB Mach- Sold
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
04Mach1Blurr
Machinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Not really sure what kind of sound you mean, but some thoughts...

Check all connections in the exhaust that aren't welded. Check the o2 sensors (make sure they aren't loose). Try to see for sure that it is not an exhaust leak, particularly on the passenger side manifold connection - the side with the gasket. Hopefully you have the sleeve thing installed in the drivers side connection...

Assuming your cats didn't go bad or something, something probably is loose. My exhaust loosens up over time, and I can hear it too. It gets tinny sounding. It sounds much smoother and clean after tightening everything up. It's the downside of bolt in exhaust.
I bought the system completely new, had a shop install it, and it probably has almost 20k miles on it. It would be bad already? What did you have to tighten up, its definately on the left side of the exhaust. Think its just the header to the mid pipe connection, like before the cats? Should i uninstall and re-install or just try and tighten the bolts up? thanks
2004 D.S.G. Mach 1 Mustang I.U.P.(01/22/2004)-04 Cobra Longblock- Posi Ported M122 GT500 Blower - BF 2.93 Upper - 4lb Lower -MGW STS-Bassani cattless X pipe- Borla Stinger Catback-Steeda Bump Steer kit-MM CCs- MM Coilovers 350lb spring- LFP Heat-exchanger- 1inch Shaker Spacer-03 Cobra IRS with FTBR's Full Bushings kit-BF Diff Brace-3:55 gears -T56 Tranzilla- cut 04 coupe rear springs-Viper Remote Start/Alarm system-Ipod Auxilary-SLP LL-Tune coming soon
Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
highfigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Mach1Blurr View Post
I bought the system completely new, had a shop install it, and it probably has almost 20k miles on it. It would be bad already? What did you have to tighten up, its definately on the left side of the exhaust. Think its just the header to the mid pipe connection, like before the cats? Should i uninstall and re-install or just try and tighten the bolts up? thanks

On the bolt in mid pipes, i would imagine if they leak it will be at the mid/manifold connection. U can feel around at the connections with the car cold and u'll feel it sucking.

The pass side has the flat connection with a gasket. I reused the stock gasket and once I got a new one I noticed why I shouldn't do that. There is a rise in the middle of the gasket that is filled with some kind of putty. I imagine once you use it once it's useless to use it on a new, larger diameter exhaust. On the mac exhaust, they include an insert for the connection on the driver side. Anyways, I don't notice any sound now that I tightened it up properly. I'm gonna put the new gasket just so I don't risk throwing a cel.

If you do find it leak, it will probably be around the top stud on the manifold. What I did was slightly tighten the bottom, then put a jack under the far side of the mid pipe, and slightly jack up on it and tighten them up. Don't over torque your studs!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
03mach1
Admin/Founder

That usually the sounds of Xpipes, more nascar, tinny sounding. more gurgly?

Kudos on the H-pipe, more deep muscle car sound. I have the MRT-Single cat H-Pipe and maganflows.

It just depends on the sound you want to get out of your car.
Founder/Admin Member #0001
http://www.Mach1Registry.com
http://www.Mach1Performance.org
Amsoil T-1 Certified Independant Dealer
Member, MCA
'03 Mach 1, '08 V6 WIP, 76 Cobra II
VIN#301788
03mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
04Mach1Blurr
Machinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
On the bolt in mid pipes, i would imagine if they leak it will be at the mid/manifold connection. U can feel around at the connections with the car cold and u'll feel it sucking.

The pass side has the flat connection with a gasket. I reused the stock gasket and once I got a new one I noticed why I shouldn't do that. There is a rise in the middle of the gasket that is filled with some kind of putty. I imagine once you use it once it's useless to use it on a new, larger diameter exhaust. On the mac exhaust, they include an insert for the connection on the driver side. Anyways, I don't notice any sound now that I tightened it up properly. I'm gonna put the new gasket just so I don't risk throwing a cel.

If you do find it leak, it will probably be around the top stud on the manifold. What I did was slightly tighten the bottom, then put a jack under the far side of the mid pipe, and slightly jack up on it and tighten them up. Don't over torque your studs!
Thanks for the great info. I am positive that it is the driver side of the exhaust. I think its either the manifold to midpipe connection or the cat itself. I did do the cold start and feel around, and was looking under the car while doing it. But I really didnt feel any sucking of air. Ill have to check again, When you say slightly jack up the far side of the mid pipe, your talking about the passenger side or just further down towards the cross over (X)?

Thank you,